The Student Room Group

How difficult is BSc Economics?

At A Level, Economics was essays where you'd get some marks for mentioning real world examples. You needed to know the theory behind it all and be able to talk about things like inflation, GDP, interest rates and some other stuff.

I don't remember much because it's been a year. So how hard is undergrad level Economics? My course is Financial Economics so it may well have a lot mroe Math. A Level had pretty much no Math. What kind of Math is used, give me some examples of Math every undergrad Economist has to know/do?

Thanks
Calculus.
Reply 2
Original post by yoyo462001
Calculus.

...that's helpful.
Original post by Ash6661

Original post by Ash6661
...that's helpful.

Well each course is different. But as a minimum all economics course will incorporate Calculus, In Micro mostly. Macro will probably not have much maths, and econometrics will just be stats, I imagine more of just an applied nature, so you won't be doing proofs or anything rigorous from a statistical standpoint. The Maths is only really challenging at the top unis.

Compared to A level. You need to know a lot more models. In A level you could blag anything pretty much, at undegrad if you want to bring something in you're going to need to justify it pretty well. I found A level economics more expressive, at degree level it's more mechanical simply because you cant put wishy washy arguments down and little depth in the models. I left A level economics with 100% in most modules and coming back and reading my work made me cringe. A level really does just touch the surface of the subject.

You can get a 2.1 in economics by simply understand how each model works and explaining it, but there is a vast amount to cover, and a fair amount of depth. I would give you examples, but I can't be bothered plus it's different at every uni. Google 'economics lecture slides' and you'll probably find something.

I wouldn't worry, you have choices of module, apart from the core modules you can pick whatever you like, economic history, political economics..etc.

Better?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Well each course is different. But as a minimum all economics course will incorporate Calculus, In Micro mostly. Macro will probably not have much maths, and econometrics will just be stats, I imagine more of just an applied nature, so you won't be doing proofs or anything rigorous from a statistical standpoint. The Maths is only really challenging at the top unis.

Compared to A level. You need to know a lot more models. In A level you could blag anything pretty much, at undegrad if you want to bring something in you're going to need to justify it pretty well. I found A level economics more expressive, at degree level it's more mechanical simply because you cant put wishy washy arguments down and little depth in the models. I left A level economics with 100% in most modules and coming back and reading my work made me cringe. A level really does just touch the surface of the subject.

I wouldn't worry, you have choices of module, apart from the core modules you can pick whatever you like, economic history, political economics..etc.

Better?

Much better. So the Math that is involved. What's that like, really long equation things? Do you incorporate Math into essays? Or will an exam be either Math questions or Essay questions?
Reply 5
I think Economics is very easy to get a 2:1 in really. Firsts are quite a challenge though. If you read the FT some days every week, knew your lecture notes pretty well and glanced at the textbook etc, a 2:1 is easy.
Original post by Ash6661

Original post by Ash6661
Much better. So the Math that is involved. What's that like, really long equation things? Do you incorporate Math into essays? Or will an exam be either Math questions or Essay questions?

Depends on the module. You can incorporate maths into essays, I prefer to but it depends on the lecturer. I've had lecturers tell me that you haven't answered the question if you haven't done mathematical proofs, and I've had other lecturers tell me if you put all maths and don't explain it you haven't answered the question. There really isn't any one answer.

Try using search. This question has been talked endless amount of times.
Reply 7
I'm going to get a 1st :smile:
Reply 8

You can get a 2.1 in economics by simply understand how each model works and explaining it, but there is a vast amount to cover, and a fair amount of depth. I would give you examples, but I can't be bothered plus it's different at every uni. Google 'economics lecture slides' and you'll probably find something.

Better?

Sorry to hijack the thread but could you help me decide on what course unit to choose:
Managerial Economics or Business Economics?
The first one seems much more mathematical (Im only assuming this because ym uni asks for some maths as a prerequisite)

Another contender is Climate Change Economics which also wants some maths prequisites but I'm assuming this module wouldnt be as respected even though it looks more interesting to me? What do you think?
(edited 12 years ago)

Better?

I'm also considering doing BSc Economics or Financial Economics but I'm worried about the Maths bit. May I ask if you did A levels Maths before going into uni? Would a good grade in AS Maths be enough for me to cope with BSc Econ at uni levels? I'm aiming for some good unis within the top 15, but definitely not the top 5 or so which require A level Maths as prerequisite. Would you say there's more maths or evaluation involved in BSc Econs? Thanks a lot and sorry for hijacking this post as well!
Depends how many modules you do a year which university. I do 12 modules a year im finding it extremely difficult to get all the work in order.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending