The Student Room Group

David Gilmour's son faces jail for student riots

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by U.S Lecce
Lol tell me about it. A few years ago I got jumped by 3 guys with bats and was beaten nearly unconcious. A neighbour called the police but they didn't come by the time i went to hospital. A few days later I phoned the police and gave the name of one of the attackers to them, but did they do anything, did they ****! And this guy gets 16 months in jail for throwing a bin at a car?

Some guy stabbed one of my friends to death, after already being in juvenile detention for a stabbing earlier in his life, and got 24 months... Just to get those guys their community service and £500 fines, I had to personally find out their names and addresses and hassle the police for over half a year!
Reply 21
Original post by alcazaba
As a friend of mine posted on twitter:

Gilmour: 16 months
These guys (click link): 2 years.

I really don't understand the justice system sometimes tbh.

That story was pretty wierd :/

The girls in it lied about their age and asked for the sex. That said, how on earth could you believe they were over 16...
Reply 22
Original post by HK1
A judge reviewed that case and let the footballers off. They didn't rape the girls btw. They were just stupid to have sex with the underage girls who wanted to have sex and would've lied about their age.

Ah ok, shows how much I actually read news :smile:

Although if they hadn't been let off and the case had continued without making that development then the initial sentence of 2 years compared to Gilmour's 16 months still seems off.
Reply 23
Original post by Elipsis
Some guy stabbed one of my friends to death, after already being in juvenile detention for a stabbing earlier in his life, and got 24 months... Just to get those guys their community service and £500 fines, I had to personally find out their names and addresses and hassle the police for over half a year!

wtf? How old was he? That sounds very dubious - murder is generally taken quite seriously in this country :/

That or I have misunderstood what you are posting...
Reply 24
Original post by Hanvyj
wtf? How old was he? That sounds very dubious - murder is generally taken quite seriously in this country :/

That or I have misunderstood what you are posting...

I know it was total bs. The guy who did it was 18 and my friend was 19. My friend went to a park to sell him a 20 bag of pot (he used to buy an oz once in a while, then sell little bits off to subsidise his smoking), the guy ripped it out of his hand and tried to run off so my friend grabbed him, and the guy stabbed him in the chest... Actually I think I got the sentencing wrong... he will be out in 4 years on license from the date he stabbed my friend, the other 2 people involved one 16 months and the other one got a suspended sentence.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by issyconnor
Charlie Gilmour was being an idiot that day, but it's clear that this sentence is to make an example of him. I've heard of sex offenders getting 6-9 months.

It's ridiculous really. One thing I am sure we can all agree on is that justice must be equal. This is plainly unequal. Being punished for being wealthy, and being the son of the guitarist of one of th greatest bands the world has seen is no different to being punished for being black, poor, or anything else.
Original post by alcazaba
As a friend of mine posted on twitter:

Gilmour: 16 months
These guys (click link): 2 years.

I really don't understand the justice system sometimes tbh.

If the girls could genuinely pass for 16, and were consenting, then it's perfectly understandable. Or do you I.D every girl you sleep with when they say they're of legal age and look it too?
Reply 27
Original post by AlexInWonderland
It's ridiculous really. One thing I am sure we can all agree on is that justice must be equal. This is plainly unequal. Being punished for being wealthy, and being the son of the guitarist of one of th greatest bands the world has seen is no different to being punished for being black, poor, or anything else.

Exactly, I can't help but feeling that had his dad not been famous and had it not been a royal car, the most he would have got is some community service.
Reply 28
Original post by Elipsis
I know it was total bs. The guy who did it was 18 and my friend was 19. My friend went to a park to sell him a 20 bag of pot (he used to buy an oz once in a while, then sell little bits off to subsidise his smoking), the guy ripped it out of his hand and tried to run off so my friend grabbed him, and the guy stabbed him in the chest... Actually I think I got the sentencing wrong... he will be out in 4 years on license from the date he stabbed my friend, the other 2 people involved one 16 months and the other one got a suspended sentence.

Stupid legal system, if you ever want to kill someone make sure they are dealing minor drugs then. Drug dealers don't appear to be counted as people.
Reply 29
Indeed, he worked full time and was just doing that so he could afford his friday and saturday night smoke up! The guy even got on a train after he'd done it, went home and had a beer with his stolen 8th...
Reply 30
This is why I'm not a fan of handing harsher sentences to people just to set an example. Its not fair on the individual or proportionate to their action.
According to the Telegraph website, he will only serve half of the sentence "behind bars", so it's 8 months really. With good behaviour he will do 4 months? So 2 weeks in a harsh prison, then 14 weeks in an open prison?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8639930/Pink-Floyd-guitarists-son-Charlie-Gilmour-jailed-for-drug-fuelled-rampage.html
Reply 32
The sentencing had nothing to do with the technical offence and everything to do with the Royals inside the car... But that's just my opinion. I suppose the fact he was on LSD didn't help either.
A suspended sentence would have been better.

i.e. pull this **** again, and you're going down.

He should thank his lucky stars that his dad is who his dad is. Otherwise, his life would be completely screwed.

I suppose he's not a Cambridge student any more?
Reply 34
It's fair enough that people are finally being held to account for the inexcusable chaos and destruction in central London that day. What irks me however, is that Charlie seems to have been given a disproportionate sentence mainly due to the swinging on the flag of the cenotaph - or that's the impression given by the BBC article. It's just a historical monument in central London with a flag flying from it, all militaristic holier-than-thou ramblings aside. At worst, he might have angered a few middle-aged Daily Mail readers more than usual. Not having lived in London most of my life, I had no idea that that particular monument was a cenotaph either.
Reply 35
how can a history student at Cambridge not know about the Cenotaph ?
it's like a media studies student not knowing who Mickey Mouse is...
or a sports studies student being unaware of plimsolls

bear

:badger:
Original post by the bear
how can a history student at Cambridge not know about the Cenotaph ?
it's like a media studies student not knowing who Mickey Mouse is...
or a sports studies student being unaware of plimsolls

Yes, perish the though that someone as silly as he evidently is could have been accepted at a Cambridge college through something other than merit, his father's fame and money having no bearing whatever of course. That could not be.
Far to long, should have let him continue his degree a 2:1 at Camridge shows he has some serious potential to achieve a lot with his career.
Reply 38
'Wish you were here' - Pink Floyd
- "Did you exchange a walk on part in a war for a lead role in a cage"

:smile:
Original post by acat
'Wish you were here' - Pink Floyd
- "Did you exchange a walk on part in a war for a lead role in a cage"

:smile:

LOL!

Shine on You Crazy Diamond.

Quick Reply

Latest