The Student Room Group

***Official Summer 2012 & Off Cycle Internship Applications***

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5440
Original post by clamped
Received my offer from Goldman Sachs for a place on their Summer Internship in the Technology division. Very, very happy.
Now just need to start thinking about accommodation - anyone have any advice? (I have no experience of London)

well done man! i think hr said they're gonna give a link to a site which provides info on accommodation for interns
Reply 5441
Original post by Raditz
well done man! i think hr said they're gonna give a link to a site which provides info on accommodation for interns

That would be useful. Also a Facebook group would be nice.
How would u translate this email from DB:

"Congratulations, we would like to invite you to the next stage of the selection process for the Deutsche Bank internship 2012. The next step will consist of a telephone interview with a member of our recruitment team. This interview should take no more than 20 minutes and will involve gathering more information from your CV and a series of questions around essential competencies.

Please email [email protected] with your availability and we will contact you shortly. "

Does this mean email you your availablity and we will cold call you during these times

Or

Email your availability and we will email you back with an phone interview date/time

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Original post by Bloodbath
How would u translate this email from DB:

"Congratulations, we would like to invite you to the next stage of the selection process for the Deutsche Bank internship 2012. The next step will consist of a telephone interview with a member of our recruitment team. This interview should take no more than 20 minutes and will involve gathering more information from your CV and a series of questions around essential competencies.

Please email [email protected] with your availability and we will contact you shortly. "

Does this mean email you your availablity and we will cold call you during these times

Or

Email your availability and we will email you back with an phone interview date/time

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

it means its up to you to schedule the interview, like say im free monday afternoon so would 1pm be a good time? I would probably schedule it for some time in the next week. First round are usually just comps for DB to check you arent a complete psycho and literally just go through your CV
Because I know you guys love these statistics this is what I can work out from peoples Facebook's (Those that have joined the group anyway) thus far for 2012 summer(I'm pretty sure it's all FO).

Just over half from the "top 6"

Oxford - 7
Warwick - 5
Cambridge - 4
Imperial - 4
UCL - 3
LSE - 3
Bristol - 3
Nottingham - 2
Stockholm School of Economics - 2
Trinity College Dublin - 2
Birmingham - 2
Surrey
Bath
Leicester
Copenhagen
Université Paris Dauphine
Bocconi
Durham
Copenhagen Business School
University College Cork
University of Edinburgh
Ecole Polytechnique
London Business School
Kings College London
St Andrews
Original post by EternalBudhist
it means its up to you to schedule the interview, like say im free monday afternoon so would 1pm be a good time? I would probably schedule it for some time in the next week. First round are usually just comps for DB to check you arent a complete psycho and literally just go through your CV

got a first-round interview for DB on feb 21st, had to be moved because of an injury, what r the general odds on being accepted at this stage?
Original post by EternalBudhist

I emailed them back with suitable times and they didn't reply so thats why I am asking. Anyway what happens if you are a complete physco- will they hire you like Patrick Bateman?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5447
DB Corporate Finance vs Moelis (generalist - M&A/restructuring) I desperately need your help guys, need to decide today!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kat03
DB Corporate Finance vs Moelis (generalist - M&A/restructuring) I desperately need your help guys, need to decide today!

Moelis has done 4 deals in Europe since the start of 2011. DB has done 90. The choice is obvious.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5449
Hey Zweihander, see you are from Warwick as well, would be more than grateful if you could reveal your identity and chat with me for a while on fb if you have a minute. Please PM me. Cheers!
Reply 5450
Original post by kat03

Well done on your offers. My take on the pros and cons, for what it's worth:

DB

Pros: BB structures, training, brand name (should you want to jump to buyside or out of finance), dealflow and cemented presence in Europe

Cons: Outlook for BB business model + compensation + hiring plans, uncertainty of which group you'll be placed in, large analyst classes?

Moelis

Pros: Ambitious growth plans, leaner deal teams, certainty of learning M&A and restructuring skills (if that appeals), compensation

Cons: Overly ambitious growth/hiring plans? Not a huge Euro player yet, smaller deals in general (albeit with a few huge mandates), uncertainty of where they'll be a few years down the line, lack of brand recognition outside of finance

Comes down to personal fit I reckon. Do you want to take a bit of a gamble on a growing firm or do you want the safety of a BB experience that will help if you decide banking's not for you? I chose boutique but each to his own. Hope this helps in any way.
Reply 5451
Original post by averagej

DB

Pros: BB structures, training, brand name (should you want to jump to buyside or out of finance), dealflow and cemented presence in Europe

Cons: Outlook for BB business model + compensation + hiring plans, uncertainty of which group you'll be placed in, large analyst classes?

Moelis

Pros: Ambitious growth plans, leaner deal teams, certainty of learning M&A and restructuring skills (if that appeals), compensation

Cons: Overly ambitious growth/hiring plans? Not a huge Euro player yet, smaller deals in general (albeit with a few huge mandates), uncertainty of where they'll be a few years down the line, lack of brand recognition outside of finance

Comes down to personal fit I reckon. Do you want to take a bit of a gamble on a growing firm or do you want the safety of a BB experience that will help if you decide banking's not for you? I chose boutique but each to his own. Hope this helps in any way.

Thank you, this is very helpful :smile: what were your choices?
Reply 5452
Original post by kat03
Thank you, this is very helpful :smile: what were your choices?

Perella Weinberg vs BB (not GS/MS/JPM). Some would agree, some wouldn't. I'm pretty comfortable with my choice though. Anyway, good luck, I'm sure both would be great experiences. Maybe try find out some data on their respective FT conversion rates?
Reply 5453
Perella Weinberg vs BB (not GS/MS/JPM). Some would agree, some wouldn't. I'm pretty comfortable with my choice though. Anyway, good luck, I'm sure both would be great experiences. Maybe try find out some data on their respective FT conversion rates?

Conversion rates are quite high for both (70%) from what I've heard. Not sure about DB though. What could you say about MoCo prestige/reputation within finance in London?

Thanks!
Reply 5454
Original post by JeeZ11
It might be difficult to find events and insights now because they are normally held in October / November. However there's an event search engine for most IBs and they advertise them on their application website, I.e. JPM is here

http://careers.jpmorgan.com/student/jpmorgan/careers/europe/apply

Under 'Learn More' is their events calendar. Anyways are you first year? Spring weeks possibly?

Yeah. I am first year.
Going to events is quite pointless. There are like 50 people round 1 guy and loads of chinese students asking employees, whom seem quite p*ssed off that they didn't get to go home early, for their buisiness cards. On top of that horrible food (well at the randolph) is carried round on round plates by mere mortals whom only have 5 gcse's between all 4 of them

What I am saying is rather than the presentations go to the dinners and get the BB's to fatten you up!
Reply 5456
Original post by stevenjohnh
Claredale house is where it's at.

Its all about having your bank sort it for you!

Jed
Reply 5457
Original post by Bloodbath
Going to events is quite pointless. There are like 50 people round 1 guy and loads of chinese students asking employees, whom seem quite p*ssed off that they didn't get to go home early, for their buisiness cards. On top of that horrible food (well at the randolph) is carried round on round plates by mere mortals whom only have 5 gcse's between all 4 of them

What I am saying is rather than the presentations go to the dinners and get the BB's to fatten you up!

You maintain a good point but events do have have a lot of benefits and their are far more of them than dinners so its best to go to both. Also you take a very poor attitude towards waiters, I worked part time as a waiter at such events whilst studying and enjoyed it don't dismiss positions you see as beneath yourself.

DB

Moelis

The "BB Business model" is not a con. DB will not be going anywhere the likes of RBS & UBS in the next 5 years as it is a much stronger bank than either of those, and in both cases very little change has occurred within their investment banking divisions. DB Corporate Finance is only going from strength to strength.

Compensation at DB is very competitive and tends to be near top of the street yea on year. I would imagine comp at Moelis is fairly similar. Also, headcount in Corporate Finance is very stable year on year. I don't know anything about Moelis' growth plans, but having only done 4 deals in Europe since the start of 2011, I highly doubt their hiring plans are as ambitious as you make out.

Also I think only being able to do M&A/RX is a actually a con. Moelis is very small in London and only really does M&A, whereas at DB even if you intern in a group you don't like you have the choice of over 20 groups in CorpFin to start your grad role in. The large analyst class is also a positive because it means you'll have a bigger and better social network at work than if you were to work at a boutique. Bigger firm also means more contacts and that can be useful down the line as your career progresses.

Saying Moelis is "Not a huge Euro player yet" is an overstatement - in London it's just a drop in the pond. And its mandates are not that big (average deal value for 2011 at Moelis London was £600m, whereas at DB it was £1.34 bln). Also consider that on big deals Moelis will probably only be brought in as co-manager, as it doesn't even have near the capabilities of the big banks. I am not saying Moels is not a good place to work, I am just saying that your evaluation of the two banks is not accurate.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jedpea
You maintain a good point but events do have have a lot of benefits and their are far more of them than dinners so its best to go to both. Also you take a very poor attitude towards waiters, I worked part time as a waiter at such events whilst studying and enjoyed it don't dismiss positions you see as beneath yourself.

It was a joke LOL

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending