The Student Room Group

***Official Summer 2012 & Off Cycle Internship Applications***

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5480
I'm filling in the GS HR Workways as part of the final employment stages and there are many things that I can't remember or find out e.g

-The exact date that I left secondary school and college
-Who I reported to in my yr 10 work experience (I don't think they'll even remember me!)

Does this matter?

Has anybody ever had their offer taken away from them because the background checks were unsatisfactory? How much of an issue is this...
Original post by isolba
I'm filling in the GS HR Workways as part of the final employment stages and there are many things that I can't remember or find out e.g

The exact date that I left secondary school and college
-Who I reported to in my yr 10 work experience (I don't think they'll even remember me!)

Does this matter?

Has anybody ever had their offer taken away from them because the background checks were unsatisfactory? How much of an issue is this...

Just make up some date in June, and put the down the name of whoever you do remember. It doesn't matter.

Don't know anyone who it's happened to but if you fail the CRB check, or make a significant lie on your application then you can have your offer rescinded.
Reply 5482
Has anyone heard back from Barcap for research?
Has anyone heard back from Credit Suisse Asset Management?
Citi offer for Capital Markets Origination, after 30 rejections. Literally can't believe it.
Tried using the search function but couldn't find what I was looking for:

Did anyone here do a MS Spring Week and get fast-tracked for S&T (Equities)? If so what was the fast-track process like and when did the interviews take place? Massive thanks + rep.
Original post by Impossible_Living
Has anyone heard back from Credit Suisse Asset Management?

Not yet, got that 'you'll hear back from us within two weeks' email on 10th jan, so I'm assuming I haven't got it. On the other hand, their HR department are apparently grossly incompetent so maybe they just haven't got round to it yet.
Reply 5487
Has anyone been through first round (by phone) with Blackstone (m&a/restructuring) / know what to expect?

I was especially wondering what exactly a good answer to "why advisory with Blackstone" is.
Of course they are a bit like a "boutique" (before developing their private equity arm they just were that) so more exposure, closer relationship with senior colleagues, blablabla. But since they invest heavily in companies they arent really an "independent advisor"...

I dont really see how to link the private equity side and the advisory side of the firm in a positive way in my answer....

Any thoughts?

And for people invited yesterday to give their availabilities for the interview have you received your confirmation email / aknowledgement of your email?
Reply 5488
Original post by rmorrison12
Not yet, got that 'you'll hear back from us within two weeks' email on 10th jan, so I'm assuming I haven't got it. On the other hand, their HR department are apparently grossly incompetent so maybe they just haven't got round to it yet.

I got the same email (not sure on date) and I just got a rejection email today. So I suppose if you haven't got a rejection it possibly could be considered good news or just awaiting rejection. Either way, best of luck!
Got my feedbak from JPM. Wasn't very good. Apparently I didn't seem very enthusiatic about the job or company (I'll remember to take some crack before the interview next time LOL), my team work compentancies lacked depth and weren't very convincing and the guy in the brainteasers interview didn't understand how I got to the answer (wtf are the interviewers not native in English). No positives were mentioned. Therefore I can only assume I suck

So all in all a very depressing response. Maybe I am not cut out for all this legitamate job lark

I have an phone interview for DB tommorow (Corporate Finance) for a graduate intern. Is it likely to be technical or compentacy based?
Also would anyone like to become my interview mentor? Maybe I could send you answers to very common compentancy questions and you could suggest ways of improvement (I find why xyz quite hard )

Anyone know what american vs european BB culture is all about?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5490
cheer up! all of the things you mentioned are easy to fix :smile:
Lack of enthusaism? Do a little more research on the firm and the position and try to smile more often. It's really easy to come across as being enthusiastic if you look upbeat and sound excited

teamwork competencies? Just try to come up with beter examples, and make sure you're using the STAR method to describe them!
What kind of things do u think I should include in an answer to 'why this bank'?
Original post by Bloodbath
Got my feedbak from JPM. Wasn't very good. Apparently I didn't seem very enthusiatic about the job or company (I'll remember to take some crack before the interview next time LOL), my team work compentancies lacked depth and weren't very convincing and the guy in the brainteasers interview didn't understand how I got to the answer (wtf are the interviewers not native in English). No positives were mentioned. Therefore I can only assume I suck

So all in all a very depressing response. Maybe I am not cut out for all this legitamate job lark

I have an phone interview for DB tommorow (Corporate Finance) for a graduate intern. Is it likely to be technical or compentacy based?
Also would anyone like to become my interview mentor? Maybe I could send you answers to very common compentancy questions and you could suggest ways of improvement (I find why xyz quite hard )

Anyone know what american vs european BB culture is all about?

if u forgot what JPM was called and called it xyz, that was probably a wrong turn
Reply 5493
I had a really bad experience at JP as well. The interview was incredibly technical and in places combative and I just couldn't perform. This was for off cycle. Praying not to go back for another round tbh...you know it's bad when you're hoping to gy rejected!
Original post by Bloodbath
What kind of things do u think I should include in an answer to 'why this bank'?

I always talk about their performance in the industry, their recent achievements (awards etc), compare them to their competitors, then I talk about their corporate culture, how they are such a great place to work for (diversity, rewards, career growth opportunities, friendly and supportive environment). I finish off with mentioning their corporate social responsibility - volunteering and sponsoring arts and sports.

but then again, I applied to many places (for AC and interview experience), but I really meant it for GS, DB and JPM.
as for JPM experience, I've had an AC with them for Operations, still waiting for their reply.
However, I found that the staff were very nice and lovely, no pressure or tension whatsoever - we were given private space to work at our presentations, group presentation consisted of 4 people including me, interviews were a bit tough - but nothing impossible!
just research the company enough (DO know their share price at close yesterday, for example), show yourself as very enthusiastic and motivated, they'll love you!
remember that they want to employ people, not make them as uncomfortable as they can!
Reply 5496
Yes, I've heard of them being super nice mostly too. They are renowned for pretty difficult trading interviews though. No one was personally unpleasant, they were nice guys, they just expected a lot of knowledge. If you're off for s and t interview make sure you know your products and mental maths/brain teasers very well!
Made a noob mistake with my DB interview. Role starts in April, I graduate in July. LOL. Didn't see this in the advertisement.

At least he said I had a strong CV
Original post by #Health
Yes, I've heard of them being super nice mostly too. They are renowned for pretty difficult trading interviews though. No one was personally unpleasant, they were nice guys, they just expected a lot of knowledge. If you're off for s and t interview make sure you know your products and mental maths/brain teasers very well!

Could you expand on what you mean by them getting super technical with you
Original post by Jeffroz
I got the same email (not sure on date) and I just got a rejection email today. So I suppose if you haven't got a rejection it possibly could be considered good news or just awaiting rejection. Either way, best of luck!

No no I got the rejection too. 21 down, 8 to go...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending