The Student Room Group

***Official Summer 2012 & Off Cycle Internship Applications***

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sabaidi
Has anyone been through first round (by phone) with Blackstone (m&a/restructuring) / know what to expect?

I was especially wondering what exactly a good answer to "why advisory with Blackstone" is.
Of course they are a bit like a "boutique" (before developing their private equity arm they just were that) so more exposure, closer relationship with senior colleagues, blablabla. But since they invest heavily in companies they arent really an "independent advisor"...

I dont really see how to link the private equity side and the advisory side of the firm in a positive way in my answer....

Any thoughts?

And for people invited yesterday to give their availabilities for the interview have you received your confirmation email / aknowledgement of your email?

Can I ask where you go to uni, and whether you had any careers events with Blackstone? Trying to pinpoint where I'm going wrong in my applications.
Reply 5501
Original post by rmorrison12

Original post by rmorrison12
Can I ask where you go to uni, and whether you had any careers events with Blackstone? Trying to pinpoint where I'm going wrong in my applications.

I study in a top continental Europe university and have quite a lot of experience in finance.

Just had the interview today and they said they mainly recruit candidate from continental Europe because they tend to have more work experience/technical skills than UK graduates (honestly, having been rejected pre-anything from a lot of much less prestigious institutions I think this is not the most common approach in London...).
Not sure they even have on-compus events given the low numer of positions.

Anyway, the interview is very technical, even compared to others London boutiques, but the interviewers were very nice, they seem to have a really good culture.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by sabaidi
I study in a top continental Europe university and have quite a lot of experience in finance.

Just had the interview today and they said they mainly recruit candidate from continental Europe because they tend to have more work experience/technical skills than UK graduates (honestly, having been rejected pre-anything from a lot of much less prestigious institutions I think this is not the most common approach in London...).

Anyway, the interview is very technical, even compared to others London boutiques, but the interviewers were very nice, they seem to have a really good culture.

Balls, Blackstone was probably my favourite place going in to this. Classic 'need experience to get experience' dilemma it seems. Thanks anyway, and good luck!
Reply 5503
Original post by #Health
I had a really bad experience at JP as well. The interview was incredibly technical and in places combative and I just couldn't perform. This was for off cycle. Praying not to go back for another round tbh...you know it's bad when you're hoping to gy rejected!

What position did you apply for? Sales, Trading, Research, Marketing?
How long after numerical did you hear back ?
Guess I didn't make it to first round if we applied to the same vacancy as I haven't heard anything post test and it's been 3 weeks.
has anyone applied to PIMCO and heard back?!
Reply 5505
anyone else get an offer from Citi PB?
Could a chemist do this job?

Job Title: Intern - Securitisation Quantitative Structuring and Valuation

Job Description:

Contribute to quantitative structuring, valuation and development for the Fixed Income
Securitisation group:
Analyse and develop financial models for transactions in RMBS, CMBS, CDOs,
CLOs, other ABS and bespoke structured products
Perform quantitative / statistical analysis of assets historical performance
Develop new valuation methodologies

Participate to the Group valuation process for large portfolios of ABS (mainly Europe and
US) for Asset Securitisation Group, Fortis and the BNP Paribas Group:
Assess economic parameter values influencing ABS valuation
Deliver quarterly valuations on ABS
Assess Risk with qualitative and quantitative approach of transactions for Risk
committees, valuation committees, Doubtful process
Assist in Process improvement and IT project

Assist securitisation portfolio management:
Assist in capital measurement and management and capital reducing
transactions

Profile:

Candidates must be studying towards an Engineering, Finance, Economics or similar
Graduate degree
Candidates should have good quantitative skills with
Mathematics/ Statistics and/or Stochastic Calculus background
Programming skills (one or more of C++ /JAVA/ Visual Basic for Excel or Microsoft
Access), Use of MatLab / SAS

Other skills required:
Interest in Finance/Financial Markets and financial engineering
Must be able to thrive in a demanding front-office environment
Highly motivated team player but also capable of working independently.
Quick learner
They must also have good communication and interpersonal skills to be able to
interact with Management and other departments such as Risk.
Reply 5507
Original post by stevenjohnh
Claredale house is where it's at.

I'll be staying there over the summer, already signed the contract. Don't know the quality of this accomodation, but it's quite handy if you work in the city
Anyone else staying there?

Btw was not Jp suppose to move into new facilities during Summer 2012?
Reply 5508
Original post by thfc10
anyone else get an offer from Citi PB?

Have you heard back from them?
Reply 5509
Original post by uni-mon
Have you heard back from them?

Ye got an offer yesterday. Were you at the a.c?
Original post by sabaidi

Hello Sabaidi,
I was wondering what kind of questions they asked you technically i mean
Those people whov'e got offers, how are you practicing for the numerical tests?
Reply 5512
Original post by diracdeltafunc
Those people whov'e got offers, how are you practicing for the numerical tests?

Having an IQ above 50 tends to help
DB interview for Risk Operations on Tuesday at London office, delayed because of injury, are DB special in focusing on anything in particular?
Is anyone interning at SocGen this summer?
Hey everyone,

I'm not sure if there's an 'accommodation for summer internships' thread so i'll just post directly on here.

I'm a current UCL undergrad, living in Tufnell Park (10 mins North of Camden Town); i'm going to Beirut in the summer and am looking for someone to rent out my room.

It's £135 a week - so if any of you are looking for somewhere to live over the summer (June, July and/or August) send me a message and i'll send you some photos etc.

All the best.
Original post by yes_man!
I'll be staying there over the summer, already signed the contract. Don't know the quality of this accomodation, but it's quite handy if you work in the city

im going to be staying there over summer whilst i complete an internship. Are you there the full period??
Reply 5517
Original post by ozziemandril
Hey everyone,

I'm not sure if there's an 'accommodation for summer internships' thread so i'll just post directly on here.

I'm a current UCL undergrad, living in Tufnell Park (10 mins North of Camden Town); i'm going to Beirut in the summer and am looking for someone to rent out my room.

It's £135 a week - so if any of you are looking for somewhere to live over the summer (June, July and/or August) send me a message and i'll send you some photos etc.

All the best.

Are utilities included? Please inbox me pics etc

Actually i think Tufnell park is a bit too far from the city!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5518
Original post by yes_man!

I'm also staying there, also no idea of the quality but it's pretty close by and in comparison to other places not too expensive either, so hopefully it'll be ok.
Looking forward to meeting the other interns!
Reply 5519
Original post by hannahfuller
im going to be staying there over summer whilst i complete an internship. Are you there the full period??

yeah check in the 23rd June and check out the 14th of Sept...what about you?

great to see other interns will be there..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending