The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

MPhil Finance Cambridge - My chances

Heya.

What do you all think my chances are at getting in to the MPhil Finance program at Cambridge JBS, I am about to work on the personal statement part of the application.

Currently in my third year of BSC Business Studies at Lancaster Management School - 2nd year GPA 78.3% - predicted overall 1st class by the head of the course. My GMAT results are as follows;

V45 - 99th percentile
Q48 - 86th percentile

overall 750 - 99th percentile. Although I expect my GPA to drop down to 72-73% by the time I finish my degree this june, it will definetly end up being a first. My grades in the three accounting and finance subjects I have taken are near the 80% mark.

My references are pretty good, they highly recommend me but do not go into too much detail unfortunately as they dont know me very well. I also have 3 summers worth of internship experience in Venture Capital and a EU central bank. I am also considering the MSc Management program at LSE and perhaps at tanaka. Any comments are appreciated. Happy new year to you all.
You'll get in.

Easy.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Getting into the Judge should be easy for you.
You should probably apply to the Said at Oxford too.
It is a better business school.
fundamentally
Getting into the Judge should be easy for you.
You should probably apply to the Said at Oxford too.
It is a better business school.

Why?
Reply 4
You have a great GMAT score - you should definitely get in. If I were you though, come to LSE :wink:
President_Ben
Why?

Why what ?
Why should he apply to the Said or why is the Said better ?
Reply 6
Said's facilities are allround better. They have more staff, they prepare you more for career's (unlike Judge who are more academic) they are probably in a better tier than Judge, better job prospects.
Reply 7
You are aiming top schools and that's all your merit because you've done probably a great effort for that. In my opinion, at masters level and for tought programs, Oxford is the reference for finance and LSE for management.

Finance: Oxford SBS- Msc Financial Economics (MFE).
other top places: LSE, Mphil Finance JBS, Warwick

Management: LSE - Msc Management
other top places: MSc Management Research Oxford Said, Mphil Management JBS, Tanaka, Bath.

The main problem with the Mphil degrees is that they are very research/academic career orientated. I don't know if that's what you re looking for.

--------------

Oh, and happy new year :wink: !
ElWilson
Said's facilities are allround better. They have more staff, they prepare you more for career's (unlike Judge who are more academic) they are probably in a better tier than Judge, better job prospects.

So arguably, Judge is better depending on what the attending person wants? Good good...

Just want to see a fuller picture rather than usual bold and unexplained stuff we tend to get from fundamentally. Thanks.
Reply 9
Well Ben, one example being basically the league tables for Judge and Said. Cambridge I don't think even gets into the top 25 in some of the rankings, although this being of course Business Studies related, as I think is where the conversation was heading towards. For Management; Said vs. Judge, Said tops the scales.
President_Ben
So arguably, Judge is better depending on what the attending person wants?

No.
Acceptable top level alternatives to Said include the LSE, Tanaka and even UCL ( shock horror !).

Judge is a 3rd tier business school and is just not in the same league.
Dont be misled by the association with Cambridge. Cambridge badly missed the mark with it's business school.
fundamentally

Why? Give some reasons...

How do you explain the perception that it might be a more academically slanted course?
Reply 12
fundamentally
No.
Acceptable top level alternatives to Said include the LSE, Tanaka and even UCL ( shock horror !).

Dont be misled by the association with Cambridge. Cambridge badly missed the mark with it's business school.

do you have some kind of strange anti cambridge agenda? Did they reject you? :frown: I wouldn't trust this guy folks, he also seems to believe that rape by the other students is a serious problem at cambridge.
homoterror
do you have some kind of strange anti cambridge agenda? Did they reject you? :frown: I wouldn't trust this guy folks, he also seems to believe that rape by the other students is a serious problem at cambridge.

1. Check my profile. You will find at least 3 errors in your post.
2. Rape by other students is not a serious problem, but is alleged to have happened at Girton.
http://www.varsity.cam.ac.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8570&Itemid=26
Not being at Girton, I dont know the details.
However, I believe that the police have dropped charges against the six who were accused.
What happened in that rape case?
Reply 15
The SBS program is extremely expensive and does not appeal to me at all. Does applying to msc management and msc accounting and finance ruin my chances at the LSE? Has anyone successfully gotten in to either one by applying to both programs?

I have two small essays that Im planning to send to cambridge along with my application, does anyone feel like going through them (extremely short, 1 paragraph each)? If so please let me know and I will PM or email them.

Thanks.

Latest

Trending

Trending