The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Working in Sussex

I've been accepted for a masters in Sussex and I'm wondering about working and stuff, are jobs easy to come across there?

I know you shouldn't work during a masters and all that but I'll have to, not enough money otherwise.
Put it this way, I have an awesome :biggrin: CV and have been applying for EVERYTHING on gumtree for the last month. Got zilch. Good luck :frown:
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
I work for the students union and they advertise every summer for students to start working that year. It's awesome and very flexible so you can reduce your hours if you have exams and stuff :smile: Deffo something to consider but it is very competitive! I also flyer for a club during summer, which was the most infomal job I've ever applied for haha, was literally "message me on facebook, we can set you up an interview" lol! It's pretty easy and good money (ad again, flexible!) so stuff like that is good to consider too :smile: I think it is just a case of trying until you find something really.

I will also be doing a Masters in Sept, but have been here for the past 3 years!

Good luck btw!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by humanafterall
I've been accepted for a masters in Sussex and I'm wondering about working and stuff, are jobs easy to come across there?

I know you shouldn't work during a masters and all that but I'll have to, not enough money otherwise.
Lots of students work during their masters so I wouldn't worry. The University's Careers & Employability Centre advertise part-time jobs - www.sussex.ac.uk/careers/jobs - and as Nadiah says, here in the Students' Union we employ lots of students - www.sussexstudent.com/jobs

Jo
Reply 4
Left my job at a local supermarket to get something more flexible and within two weeks I had two part time jobs so compared to other places there are loads of jobs available if you look in the right places.
Reply 5
Are you living in Brighton?

I've worked in Brighton for six years and I think there's a fair bit of work around.

If you're just looking for a few part time hours then the main areas are either bar work (apparently there are more pubs in Brighton than days in the year so you're bound to find somewhere that could offer you some shifts!) or the call centres.
There are so many call centres... Pretty much everyone I know here has worked in one of them at one point! I personally wouldn't like working in one, but there are a lot of opportunities.

Good luck with your masters x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending