The Student Room Group

TSR Bowed Strings Society

Scroll to see replies

Hi, yay a string thread woo!!! I'd love to join, I've played violin for 8 years, last year i got a grd 8 distinction :eek3: :woo: and now I'm working towards a ACTL diploma. I love loads of music although i prefer romantic era onwards :biggrin:
Im currently playing Bloch: Nigun, Bruch violin concerto 3d mov. and Brahms sonata 1

(Here's something i did a year ago, but I promise I've improved a lot since then!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BidOs78CfHE
A bit sacreligious but

turned up last week and despite needing to replace the A-string, as a five-string viola that looks like a vanilla ice cream covered in chocolate, it sings like a nightingale. (Yay!)
Reply 242
Really glad I found this!

I stopped playing the violin two years ago, but I've decided to start playing again. Hopefully I haven't forgotten too much.

I'm planning on practicing over the summer, then maybe I can start doing some exams again.
Removed
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 244
looking for a cello teacher. im in birmingham.
Heyy I am working towards my grade 8 violin :smile: I love the violin soo much.
Reply 246
I recently took up the viola and am stuck at home temporarily so can't have any lessons at the moment which is frustrating! Hoping to get stuck into it properly again when I get settled in Germanland in October. :smile:
I chose my viola and bow so carefully after trying tons with a really cool violist at the shop and I looooove them. :nopity:
Hello guys, being an Entertainment mod and now a social group mod, just checking that you're all sorted/happy in here for your group leader and deputy leaders? Any of the leaders now confused as to how to manage the group? If the leader/a deputy could quote or PM me, that'd be great. If people think there aren't any leaders that are still active and are desperate to lead the soc, please quote me too. Thanks. :smile:
The leadership for this soc is up for grabs for anybody who would like it. All it requires is accepting join requests and managing any associated threads.

Please quote me if interested.
Self-taught violist! (yeah, ouchhh...not nice :P)

Still...

Can I join? :biggrin:
Reply 250
Original post by Alis Aquilae
Self-taught violist! (yeah, ouchhh...not nice :P)

Still...

Can I join? :biggrin:

Awesome stuff! Did you play the violin beforehand? I planned on learning viola hardcore this year (my year abroad) but I broke my wrist and well... yeah, not much more to that story. I reeeeally want to get into it again as soon as I get back to the UK, I just sent off my (very expensive) saxophone to be sold cos I am poor and prefer the idea of working on viola and piano for the foreseeable future anyway. Dedication (and heartache... though selling my very first own saxophone was much more painful)!
Reply 251
Original post by Alis Aquilae
Erm, unfortunately not. I am as much as a noob as one can be :biggrin:
I do play the piano though <3

That sucks about your wrist :frown: I would die if that happened to me. Has it healed? Selling an instrument (especially your first) sounds horrible - although that is an admirable degree of dedication! So, you're a violist-pianist-saxophonist? Respect! :tongue:

Only really a saxophonist :tongue: Well, I can play piano pretty well... after many many days of working on one piece (if it's Grade 6+ standard that is). Never had lessons though. I do love the piano. I've only had around 4 lessons on viola, got into it very late last academic year. Very eager to start up again... maybe I'll be inspired and try to self-teach a bit (though with viola that scares me... what if I get into bad habits?).

PS yeah the wrist has healed as far as I can tell myself, it was broken back in mid-November but never had a cast (because the German doctor didn't notice it). Them getting me to try to sign a consent to treatment form was a pretty awkward moment...
(edited 12 years ago)
Can I join please? I play Cello :smile:
Why have I not noticed this soc before? I play violin, working towards Grade 7. Can I join? :smile:

(Argh, the actual soc page is 404ing on me. Not good!)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 254
1 play violin.
but i concert to classic music
can i join?? :smile:
thx....
oooo, I'd love to join! I've played violin since age 7 :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest