The Student Room Group

TSR Bowed Strings Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
the Bloch is such a great pieces... loved all about it - the rubato, the dynamics, the feeling, like everything (sorry, sounds pretty cheesy :p:)

I thought the Kabalevsky concerto was rather easy! I played the 1st movement like 4 years ago when I was 12 :biggrin:
Unfortunately only so far played the 1st mvt of the 1st Bartok Rhapsody tho I really want to play the 2nd mvt... a friend of mine played the entire rhapsody a couple of years back and I just thought it was so awesome!

not so sure - then again, I've only heard of the name really; my teacher might have suggested it to me once :confused:
Reply 141
The Kabalevsky concerto is fab. A postgrad did it here at uni with the orchestra.
Reply 142
greeniev
the Bloch is such a great pieces... loved all about it - the rubato, the dynamics, the feeling, like everything (sorry, sounds pretty cheesy :p:)

I know what you mean!! It's music you can understand because it actually means something. But that's Bloch for you. I love all that sort of music: Bloch, Bruch, Mendelssohn (sp?), Weiniawski. And I adore Sarasate! Especially Perlman's recordings (like his Zigeunerweisen, it puts Kennedy/Stern to shame). It's not just music for the sake of it. There's too much of that.

I will learn the Bartok one day, but I have a slight problem with it because I was forced to sight-read through it the day before my grade 8 and nearly jumped out of the window. My sight-reading is disgraceful as it is, but I managed to convince myself that I was going to fail after that...
Reply 143
bohemian
I love all that sort of music: Bloch, Bruch, Mendelssohn (sp?), Weiniawski. And I adore Sarasate!

:five: I absolutely love all of the named composers! Except I havent' heard much by Sarasate yet, but that's hopefully to change...

Just too busy with exams at the moment; tried to get out of string orchestra rehearsals (I'm on study leave this sat, and the next rehearsal is on monday so it'd be crazy to actually go to the rehearsal seeing that I've got an exam the next day :eek:) and that damn bastard apparently is not allowing me! Think I'm gonna ask the music director now...

sorry for the rant btw :p:
Reply 144
greeniev
Just too busy with exams at the moment; tried to get out of string orchestra rehearsals (I'm on study leave this sat, and the next rehearsal is on monday so it'd be crazy to actually go to the rehearsal seeing that I've got an exam the next day :eek:) and that damn bastard apparently is not allowing me! Think I'm gonna ask the music director now...

I was planning to use rehearsals as an excuse not to revise! It's working great so far - was forced to do 4 hours of violin every day all holiday to avoid revision, and I'm actually joining a new orchestra next week...
Oh, and there's the small matter of school music competition week (ie, week off lessons) for a whole week :biggrin: and 2 school concert (ie, 2 days off lessons) very soon! Yay for skipping lessons for music.

Anyone want to suggest a concerto after Mozart 3 (planning ahead) bearing in mind that I would like something more technically challenging? Oh, and not the Bruch! I don't like it, and it's such a predictable step after Mozart...maybe something less well known?
Reply 145
heya everyone :smile:

can anyone help me? has anyone played the orchestral piece capriccio espagnol by rimsky korsakov and seen/played the violin solo? if so could they tell me whether I should play it riccochet (ok i have no idea how to spell that so i went with pretend french) or up bow staccato?

guesses are also welcome....
Reply 146
I've played the first violin part but not the solo I'm afraid... it was a long time ago but I can't remember any notes in the solo that definitely require something like ricochet or up bow staccato. If you're thinking of the double-stopped notes, I'd have thought personally that they need the quality of detaché right into the string.

There are tutti passages with LOTS of down-down-down-up ricochet in though!
Reply 147
right then...well it turns out I'll be able to have a lesson before I have to audition for it so I can ask my teacher (phew) cause I have this terrible feeling that the person whos gona be deciding who plays the damn thing is the teacher of the other person whos auditioning. so if i made a fool of myself it would be so much worse!

newez thanx for the info...I'll play it both ways till then...
Reply 148
Tonight, the Holberg Suite Rigaudon first rehearsal... it's a nice solo but can go wrong quite easily...
Reply 149
Jonathan
Tonight, the Holberg Suite Rigaudon first rehearsal... it's a nice solo but can go wrong quite easily...

pfft our String Ensemble (at Imperial, which you're coming to, I hear?) is playing the Holberg Suite this term too!

We had our first rehearsal of it tonight - and yes the solo bit appears to be a bit tricky (our leader did a pretty fine job of it though)! The Rigaudon is OK for the rest of the ensemble though :biggrin:
Reply 150
hey Ed, are there any like small string ensembles? If I should get into Imp, I might found one :biggrin:
Reply 151
greeniev
hey Ed, are there any like small string ensembles? If I should get into Imp, I might found one :biggrin:

there's a chamber music society, which is basically a huge mailing list of people... you can then email round with details when you want to form a chamber group, and then take it from there!
Reply 152
yay! :biggrin:

Only obstacle in the way are the exams. If I really **** them up... :eek:
Reply 153
hush. your current exams will appear to be pish easy in about a year's time when you're about to take uni exams. And they will seem a complete waste of time in two years, when you're taking 2nd year exams :frown: like me
Reply 154
yeah that's true. When I look back on exams I did back in Germany, I'm like, why the hell did I never get full marks on every single paper?! :eek:
crazy...
Reply 155
greeniev
yeah that's true. When I look back on exams I did back in Germany, I'm like, why the hell did I never get full marks on every single paper?! :eek:
crazy...

definitely!

Going back to the topic, I borrowed the Mendelssohn concerto in E minor from the library last week. It looks kind of hard :eek:

Which movement should I start with first! (I really should be revising and not practising the violin)
Reply 156
I'd have thought the slow movement would be far easier than the other two, if you can get your fingers round the fluttering in the middle. It's a gorgeous movement :smile:

My turn to play (in the orchestra with bohemian...) the Holberg Suite Rigaudon solo :biggrin: I can play the notes, but any tips from veterans to make it easier or more stylish? thanks!
Reply 157
4Ed
definitely!

Going back to the topic, I borrowed the Mendelssohn concerto in E minor from the library last week. It looks kind of hard :eek:

Which movement should I start with first! (I really should be revising and not practising the violin)

hehe :biggrin:

I love the Mendelssohn concerto. (Can't say that enough times...)
Yeah, I reckon you sould start the 2nd movement. The whole concerto just reminds me of the Bruch concerto...
To revert to an earlier topic before all this violin madness started :wink:, ppl who are interested in doing a diploma should look into the Guildhall one, I found it really good and less restrictive than ABRSM. You don't need to have Grade 8 to take it (which is good because I didn't) and they let you choose your own programme from any pieces (ie no list) providing it's within the time limit and reasonably balanced - you have to send them a copy of your proposed programme so they can approve it/offer suggestions to change it, but it really does feel more like giving a recital than doing an exam, which is more fun and good practice etc. You can invite your friends too, I don't know if that applies to other diplomas too.

The Franck sonata, if it's the one I'm thinking of, is lovely- played it a few years ago as they brought out a cello version, yay. The last movement with the 'bells' is my favourite.

Has anyone who wants to buy an instrument thought of the auction houses? I got my cello from there and it's lovely and was an amazing bargain - £3000 in the end and it was later valued at over £10 000. Sold my previous cello for only a little less than I paid for the new one, so great bargain in general. Plus when I went back later to get my bow they let me try an £80 000 Rugieri cello...mmmmmmmmm, so good. Though some of their stuff is rubbish, I got lucky, but is definitely worth a try.

Anyway, I should stop being such a masochist and do some work.
Reply 159
tritogeneia1
To revert to an earlier topic before all this violin madness started :wink:, ppl who are interested in doing a diploma should look into the Guildhall one, I found it really good and less restrictive than ABRSM.
The Franck sonata, if it's the one I'm thinking of, is lovely- played it a few years ago as they brought out a cello version, yay. The last movement with the 'bells' is my favourite.

Has anyone who wants to buy an instrument thought of the auction houses? I got my cello from there and it's lovely and was an amazing bargain - £3000 in the end and it was later valued at over £10 000. Sold my previous cello for only a little less than I paid for the new one, so great bargain in general. Plus when I went back later to get my bow they let me try an £80 000 Rugieri cello...mmmmmmmmm, so good. Though some of their stuff is rubbish, I got lucky, but is definitely worth a try.

The Trinity ATCL, GTCL and FTCL syllabus is also rather nice :smile:

You're joking... a cello version? :p: There's also a flute version which my girlfriend is playing. IMO a flute ruins it totally - string instruments have guts, so string music is written with guts, and flutes don't have guts. She's also nicked my copy to take down the original violin articulation :p:

My first full-size violin was a *really* lucky find from an auction in Bedford - it was in the bric-a-brac corner of the auction house and we got it for £40. It turned out to be a lovely mid-19th century French trade violin with a German bow - the violin is insured for £1500 and the bow for £500! I still use that bow - it's really lovely.

Quick Reply

Latest