The Student Room Group

Best Course Available to me

So,

I'm fairly sure i'm going to to come out with 3 A-Levels at grade ABC in Computing,Maths and Physics.
Which as you know, isn't exactly great.

I want do computer science, and always have, hence the A in computing.

I feel that I have a strong personal statement, and am a pretty ideal candidate. I know several programming languages, and know web languages (PHP, JS, etc) extensively.

However, when looking at universities, I see that most are after AAB, or ABB.

Is it even worth attempting to get into a university with a requirement as ABB, when I'm going to receive ABC, or is it a waste of a application?

Anybody got any ideas for the best options for me with my grades?
Reply 1
Original post by JackAA
Anybody got any ideas for the best options for me with my grades?

I don't have much relevant personal experience (some ABB unis in my time are now looking for AAA ~.~), but CS at some places is definitely still undersubscribed. You've got five slots to fill -- use Extra if you have to. There's definitely no harm going for some of the AAB/ABB unis, even if the listed requirements go beyond your predicted grades -- they have to make more offers than places. Would it inspire you to get better grades if you had an ABB offer on the table?

Also, up your game! You've got a year and you seem pretty motivated to do well -- I'm sure getting ABB (even AAB) isn't that far beyond you.
Reply 2
Original post by mailmerge
I don't have much relevant personal experience (some ABB unis in my time are now looking for AAA ~.~), but CS at some places is definitely still undersubscribed. You've got five slots to fill -- use Extra if you have to. There's definitely no harm going for some of the AAB/ABB unis, even if the listed requirements go beyond your predicted grades -- they have to make more offers than places. Would it inspire you to get better grades if you had an ABB offer on the table?

Also, up your game! You've got a year and you seem pretty motivated to do well -- I'm sure getting ABB (even AAB) isn't that far beyond you.

Alright, thanks for that.

I wasn't sure if the would just look at the Grades, see they were less than than the entry req's, and simply throw away the application.

Every university seems to be upping their grades this year, Nottingham and Lancaster have both gone up to ABB from BBB, I was kinda hoping to goto one of them two, seems we have been hit with a double whammy, Grades and Fees :/

I REALLY want to do Computer Science, I love the theory behind it, and love programming. I program a lot in my spare time, I pretty much run my own little "programming business", which will net me around 15k this year.

I think I'm the ideal candiate, and think I'll be able to show this in my Personal Statement and Interview (if there is one), I'm just hoping my grades won't hinder me too much.

If I had a ABB offer on the table, I'd certainly push to try and get it, however I just don't know if I'd manage it. Computing has always being my strong point, with Maths coming next, I think I'll be able to get a C in physics, although a B would be really pushing it.

The problem I see with CompSci is that I don't seem to be bale to find many universities that offer based on UCAS Points, it all seems to be grade based. Points based would be beneficial to me, due to me taking 5 AS Levels, I'd be able to rack up a few extra points from this year.
Reply 3
Original post by JackAA
Alright, thanks for that..

Unfortunately, the predicted grades are really the key making decisions: interviews are more of a formality just to make sure you visit, and I'm not sure how much weight they can really put on a personal statement. It's really their discretion whether to stick to the entry requirements or not -- maybe the fee rise will work in your favour. Maybe a good showing in mock exams might give you an ABB to get a foot in some doors.

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate already, but I really think you can get a B by throwing enough effort at the subject. If you really want it, you'll make this happen. Hell, get a tutor if you're earning £15k.
Reply 4
Hey there :smile: i know The University of Kent work on UCAS points for CS, if you're interested in checking that out.
Reply 5
Kent require 3 A levels and a AS level for there computer science course. I am not sure they would accept people with 3 A levels?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by GuyUK
Kent require 3.5 A levels for there computer science course. I am not sure they would accept people with 3 A levels?

3.5 A Levels? :confused: How does that work?

I'm presuming they mean 3 A Levels and a AS Level?
Reply 7
Original post by JackAA
3.5 A Levels? :confused: How does that work?

I'm presuming they mean 3 A Levels and a AS Level?

Yeah, I edited my post
Reply 8
I take it you haven't applied yet. You could take another AS next year and put it as pending on your application. Further AS will be the most relevant, though anything will do. As long as it's not CT/GS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending