The Student Room Group

LSE Maths with Econ for a Maths Msc. HELP PLEASE.

Basically, I'd like to do a Maths Msc in the future focusing on number theory and pure maths topics if that's possible. If it isn't, then I'd go down a more applicable game theory route in my modules. I've finished my first year with a high first and hope to get a first in my degree. Here are the modules I can take if I go down a pure route (tell me if this is adaquate please):

Year 1:
ECON B
Mathematical Methods
Elementary Statistical Theory
Introduction to Abstract Mathematics

Year 2: (H means half unit)
Microeconomic Principles II
Further Mathematical Methods (Calculus) (H)
Further Mathematical Methods (Linear Algebra) (H)
Real Analysis (H)
Algebra and Number Theory (H)
Optimisation Theory (H)
Differential Equations (H)

year 3:
Economic Theory and its Applications
Complex Analysis (H)
Algebra and its Applications (H)
Chaos in Dynamical Systems (H)
Optimisation in Function Spaces (H)

Is this pure maths enough to go on and do a maths Msc? Please be as concise as possible in your answers.

If you don't think so, what about a more applicable maths Msc (focusing on game theory)? With these choices:

Year 1:
ECON B
Mathematical Methods
Elementary Statistical Theory
Introduction to Abstract Mathematics

Year 2: (H means half unit)
Microeconomic Principles II
Further Mathematical Methods (Calculus) (H)
Further Mathematical Methods (Linear Algebra) (H)
Real Analysis (H)
Algebra and Number Theory (H)
Optimisation Theory (H)
Discrete Mathematics (H)

year 3:
Economic Theory and its Applications
Game theory (Full unit)
Graph theory (H)
Theory of Algorithms (H)

The exact choices are here:
http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/calendar/programmeRegulations/undergraduate/BScMathematicsWithEconomics.htm

Might be important to know my ultimate aim is a career in academia. Thank you for any help and advice.
I can't comment on the econ modules since I don't do it. However, from what I understand you want to do number theory and "pure maths" (by which I assume you mean uni pure, which is real analysis).

However, I feel like you're perfectly fine with the real analysis aspect, since you're doing real analysis and complex analysis, which should give you plenty of time to get a feel of the modules and the way you learn them.

I think that optimisation theory could be replaced with MA210 Discrete Mathematics (H), since the graph theory involved might help you a little more with dealing with abstract ideas that I seem to come across often when reading anything to do with number theory.

Apart from that, I don't see why you wouldn't get a place for an MSc focusing on real analysis and number theory.

As for an MSc focusing on game theory... well, wouldn't you be better placed switching to the MSci and then progressing directly to a PhD? This would mean that you'd do your own research and focus on whatever topic you like, rather than adapting your module choices for a stepping stone MSc. Unless you want to stop at the MSc, of course.
Reply 2
Original post by wanderlust.xx
I can't comment on the econ modules since I don't do it. However, from what I understand you want to do number theory and "pure maths" (by which I assume you mean uni pure, which is real analysis).

However, I feel like you're perfectly fine with the real analysis aspect, since you're doing real analysis and complex analysis, which should give you plenty of time to get a feel of the modules and the way you learn them.

I think that optimisation theory could be replaced with MA210 Discrete Mathematics (H), since the graph theory involved might help you a little more with dealing with abstract ideas that I seem to come across often when reading anything to do with number theory.

Apart from that, I don't see why you wouldn't get a place for an MSc focusing on real analysis and number theory.

As for an MSc focusing on game theory... well, wouldn't you be better placed switching to the MSci and then progressing directly to a PhD? This would mean that you'd do your own research and focus on whatever topic you like, rather than adapting your module choices for a stepping stone MSc. Unless you want to stop at the MSc, of course.

Thanks for that advice :smile:

It seems to me that the LSE Maths department is geared towards only discrete mathematics and game theory, am I right? I've thought about this for a awhile, and it I think it would be very difficult to do any real pure maths in the future. And even if I did, I think I'd be very far behind anyone who's gone to somewhere like Warwick, yes?

I would prefer to be the best or very useful at what I do, than not. And I don't find game theory or discrete mathematics bad at all. I do think I'd enjoy it.

If you don't mind, looking at that link to those modules again, do you think that's a really good degree for game theory/discrete maths msc (far better than pure maths anyway)

And if I was to go down that route, which do I drop out of differential equations, optimisation theory, discrete mathematics and algebra and number theory? Should I think about that probability and inference module?

Thank you a lot for your post.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tallon
Thanks for that advice :smile:

It seems to me that the LSE Maths department is geared towards only discrete mathematics and game theory, am I right? I've thought about this for a awhile, and it I think it would be very difficult to do any real pure maths in the future. And even if I did, I think I'd be very far behind anyone who's gone to somewhere like Warwick, yes?

I would prefer to be the best or very useful at what I do, than not. And I don't find game theory or discrete mathematics bad at all. I do think I'd enjoy it.

If you don't mind, looking at that link to those modules again, do you think that's a really good degree for game theory/discrete maths msc (far better than pure maths anyway)

And if I was to go down that route, which do I drop out of differential equations, optimisation theory, discrete mathematics and algebra and number theory? Should I think about that probability and inference module?

Thank you a lot for your post.

Honestly, I think a degree from LSE will put you in fantastic standing for anything. You really don't need to worry. If I was graduating from LSE I'd probably be getting pissed and having fun, because any job or masters course will be completely open to you.

I'd recommend doing probability/inference, simply for some diversity. Failing that, I'd drop optimisation personally, because I can't see it having much use in a number theory environment... though that's just me. From what I gather it's just using simplex, probably some graph theory... doesn't have too much use with what you want to do, even though it's mighty interesting stuff.
Reply 4
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Honestly, I think a degree from LSE will put you in fantastic standing for anything. You really don't need to worry. If I was graduating from LSE I'd probably be getting pissed and having fun, because any job or masters course will be completely open to you.

I'd recommend doing probability/inference, simply for some diversity. Failing that, I'd drop optimisation personally, because I can't see it having much use in a number theory environment... though that's just me. From what I gather it's just using simplex, probably some graph theory... doesn't have too much use with what you want to do, even though it's mighty interesting stuff.

True, and I most certainly will enjoy myself.

One more thing if I may. If I were to go down a purely discrete maths and graph theory route, I guess the best choices would be discrete maths, algebra and number theory and optimisation theory next year?

Quick Reply

Latest