The Student Room Group

Do you know what a gambole is?

As title says, do you know what a gambole (or gambol) is.

You say it like "gam-bowl"

If you do know what a gambole is, which part of the country are you from?

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Running or jumping about? Unless it's a noun, in which case I have no idea :frown: And I'm from Yorkshire.
I'm sure I've heard of it, but no idea what it means. Im from Nottingham.
It's how you say the word 'gamble' when you're having a stroke.
It's essentially a forward roll. I'm from the West Midlands, hence how I know the meaning.
Reply 5
Original post by Jake200493
It's essentially a forward roll. I'm from the West Midlands, hence how I know the meaning.

Winner! :biggrin:

I thought everyone in the country knew what a gambole is.

Heard it was a West Midlands thing so thought I'd put it to test on here :smile:
Reply 6
A gambole is a forward role - I'm from Walsall (16 miles north of Birmingham)
Reply 7
do you have special words for all of your PE activities ? :hmmmm2:
Reply 8
A gambole is a forward roll I'm from Birmingham - small heath
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
A gambol is a forward role. I'm from Sutton Coldfield. Have lived down south and now live in Swadlincote north of Tamworth and nobody knows what one is and it's so frustrating!
I've always known it as a Gambol....I'm from Sutton coldfield also.

However, my children and partner call them 'roly poly's', we now live in Stoke
Forward role, I'm from Birmingham. Never heard anyone outside the West Midlands say it before :smile:
l live in Coventry so know that it is a forward roll and can also be called "roly polies". Other dialect words from the west midlands are pumps for gym shoes and entry for an alley way.
Reply 13
I love the word gambole, my fella is from London and me Birmingham and he was crying with laughter when he heard me say "I'm gonna do a gambole" I will NEVER call it a forward roll . ! It's what I grew up with it's what I am 😂
(edited 7 years ago)
Forward roll, I know this being a brummie.
It means necroposting.
guy from dark knight?
Reply 17
would have been quicker to ask google
A quick Google search will produce this http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Gambowl
No idea, I'm from London

Quick Reply

Latest