The Student Room Group

What do you all think of fashion models?

Scroll to see replies

I think they are faaaarrrr too skinny. Fair enough, if that's your natural body shape but I don't think that's the case for most models (although I may be wrong). I wish the fashion industry would represent women and men with all sorts of different body shapes and sizes, it would do wonders for many girls self esteem and body image.
I know this is quite a gay answer from a straight guy, but I pay far too much to the clothes to properly notice the models.

This is why I think the most important thing is that they shouldn't have something odd about them or off-putting that distracts us from the fashion. They're almost like an artist's canvas - you wouldn't start painting on a damaged canvas.
Reply 22
If I am honest, I don't really think much of them. They are just doing a job in a tough industry. Some aren't necessarily that good-looking (for example Lily Cole is quite ugly) however they are required to be very thin. I don't think it's appropiate if there was a plus size or overweight girl modelling clothes. In all honesty, I'm not justifying size-zero or annorexia, but it's better to be a little bit on the thin side, than to be massively overweight. Two extremes, but if I was faced with the situation it would definitely be better to be thin. I'd class myself as slim/ average, depending on whether I am having a good day or not! Girls shouldn't really be overweight, it's unladylike and it suggests they don't take pride in their appearence (unless, of course, they have health problems).
Original post by Little Hobbit
I think they are faaaarrrr too skinny. Fair enough, if that's your natural body shape but I don't think that's the case for most models (although I may be wrong). I wish the fashion industry would represent women and men with all sorts of different body shapes and sizes, it would do wonders for many girls self esteem and body image.

They aren't farrr too skinny. In the past women would be that size, but now we live in a society that is fat as hell. Like if you look at weight before WW1, the average size 12 would be fat.
I think it's untruthful for anyone to say they aren't affected by images like fashion models in the media, even if you think you are confident in yourself and don't bow to media pressure or whatever, they are all around us and they get into everyone's heads. I think some of them are attractive, and some of them strange looking, but as others have said, they are meant to be 'striking' not beautiful.

Original post by bradshawi
I'm not justifying size-zero or annorexia,

It really gets on my nerves when people class anorexia as 'on a par' with models being very thin. Anyone who is anorexic is never going to be a fashion model - almost by definition, the condition results from low self esteem and serious mental problems, the exact opposite of what you need to be a model.
Original post by Simplicity
They aren't farrr too skinny. In the past women would be that size, but now we live in a society that is fat as hell. Like if you look at weight before WW1, the average size 12 would be fat.

Size 12 isn't fat. Not all models are too skinny, however some are. And I'm not fat either before you try that one.

They're too skinny for their height, it's unhealthy. I do agree that our society is far too big now though.

I just don't think that they represent "healthy" women, but that's just my opinion.
Reply 27
this is really interesting thanks all.
Original post by Little Hobbit

I think there's a fine line between improving general self esteem and reducing general health. It's all very well to show a variety of types of people - tall, short, blonde, brunette or whatever, but showing plus-size models in an attempt to justify the obesity epidemic in this country is not going to have much benefit in the long term. The media already describes larger women as 'real' rather than 'fake' skinny women. It seems to be rapidly going the opposite way to the original problem of glamorising 'size zero', with larger sizes becoming the norm.
In general, very stunning people (obviously) with great bodies.
Anyone watch Dirty Sexy Things? most of them on that program just have the most unbearable personalities... Obviously can't generalise that to every model, but they weren't the nicest people. Mainly the guys too, surprisingly. A few of the girls were really quirky and funny but I don't think there was one guy that I liked (personality wise).
Original post by Amwazicles
I think there's a fine line between improving general self esteem and reducing general health. It's all very well to show a variety of types of people - tall, short, blonde, brunette or whatever, but showing plus-size models in an attempt to justify the obesity epidemic in this country is not going to have much benefit in the long term. The media already describes larger women as 'real' rather than 'fake' skinny women. It seems to be rapidly going the opposite way to the original problem of glamorising 'size zero', with larger sizes becoming the norm.

Yeah, I agree. The media should place the emphasis on a variety of healthy body shapes and sizes.

I should have said healthy in my first post, obviously I don't think the media should be claiming that overweight body sizes are healthy and something which people should aspire to look like.
I'm not interested in the ones that are supposed to represent 'natural beauty'- natural beauty bores me whether it's the result of fantastic genes or 2 hours of makeup.

Models with small angular faces absolutely covered in makeup fascinate me immensely, especially if the clothes are interesting too. It's a wonderful thing to make someone look so disconcerting and appealing at the same time.

I'm never attracted to them, but I do find many of them quite beautiful.
Original post by ktlaurenroe
In general, very stunning people (obviously) with great bodies.
Anyone watch Dirty Sexy Things? most of them on that program just have the most unbearable personalities... Obviously can't generalise that to every model, but they weren't the nicest people. Mainly the guys too, surprisingly. A few of the girls were really quirky and funny but I don't think there was one guy that I liked (personality wise).

Most people in general change their personality to make them more attractive. So if they are painfully shy they would try and act more outgoing. The thing is with beautiful people they don't have to change anything as they will know that people will chase them. All girls and guys would be horrible and not nice if they had model good looks.

LipstickKisses
Size 12 isn't fat. Not all models are too skinny, however some are. And I'm not fat either before you try that one.

Size 12 is fat. You are probably fat, what height and weight are you? Probably got love handles and you can pinch fat from your arms.
Size 12 is fat. You are probably fat, what height and weight are you? Probably got love handles and you can pinch fat from your arms.

Whoah! I just lost all respect for your opinions...

Dress size isn't a good measure of fatness anyway, height, bodyshape, muscle mass and bone density will affect what size you are. Lol I'm not fat, I'm 5"7 and a clothes size 8, the other day I had to buy a 6. I'm not against slim or skinny women, but I'm against calling perfectly healthy women fat or anorexic when they are healthy.

Oh and the middle woman in this wears a 12.

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Most people in general change their personality to make them more attractive. So if they are painfully shy they would try and act more outgoing. The thing is with beautiful people they don't have to change anything as they will know that people will chase them. All girls and guys would be horrible and not nice if they had model good looks.

hmm, that's probably true... Never thought of it like that before but I guess it makes very good sense haha. The boys were the worst. Just so stuck up and self righteous.
Reply 36
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
I wouldn't want to look like an emaciated horse with protruding bones. (Imagine being a guy and making out with a bag of bones poking you....OUCH!!!!).

Ouch is right! :cool:

Personally I have huge respect for them in a strictly professional capacity.

I just don't understand why they have to wear those silly-looking clothes...
Original post by Teofilo
Ouch is right! :cool:

Personally I have huge respect for them in a strictly professional capacity.

I just don't understand why they have to wear those silly-looking clothes...

The ones who are naturally skinny, fine. No issue with them, that's how they are.

But I don't have respect for the girls who starve themselves...and it's painful to see :L

And lol I guess that comes with the job. The video on YouTube with the models falling over in heels...it's brilliant. :biggrin:
Original post by Colour Me Pretty
Some of them have beautiful faces, but a lot of them I think are quite average looking, and don't have amazing figures.

For example: Kate Moss and Agyness Deyn are very famour supermodels and I don't think they're anything special. :dontknow:

Who gave that 14 year old boy a bikini?
Reply 39
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
The ones who are naturally skinny, fine. No issue with them, that's how they are.

But I don't have respect for the girls who starve themselves...and it's painful to see :L

And lol I guess that comes with the job. The video on YouTube with the models falling over in heels...it's brilliant. :biggrin:

Sorry the silly clothes comment was a (pretty lame...) attempt at a gag.

I have no strong opinions on fashion models, though I don't see why you wouldn't respect models that starve themselves for the sake of their job?

Quick Reply

Latest