The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should positive discrimination be allowed or not? And what are the alternatives?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sendaii
Ah. Forget I said anything :colondollar:

No problem. Just try to read comments more carefully in the future to avoid stuff like this happening again. ^^
Reply 21
Original post by Nightstar-27
No giving someone a head start just because they're in a minority isn't right either and the alternative is treating everyone fairly and giving everyone an equal chance.

The reality is that this wont happen. Some people will still reject an applicant on the basis of their race, religion, class etc. Im not saying positive discrimination is the answer but the problem is still there.
Reply 22
No. If someone applies for a job, it should be decided on how good they are at that job, not what colour their skin is.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS POSITIVE DISCRIMINATION,
I don't think offices need to be regulated so that there are a certain amount that aren't white or aren't men on the basis of regulation. The workplace is not a parliament for representing society, it's meant to be adding revenue to our economy. Put the best people in.
Reply 24
Nah, there's no recent history of large-scale segregation,apartheid or slavery in this country.
Reply 25
No, as its clearly racism, and clearly discrimination.

There is nothing 'positive' about it.
Original post by Lightf00t
Only idiots like Harriet Harman are for measures like these. No, it's wrong.

Haha, was going to say the same thing!...not in the way you said it, but nonetheless the same thing lol
Positive Discrimination=Oxymoron :smile:
No. Positive discrimination is wrong. The alternative is education and widening participation through education.

I hate it when I get an email from my university careers department, I click on it. It's advertising an amazing internship programme, in exactly the career I'd love to do, fully paid, you get six months of interning in several departments, a real asset to anyone's CV.

Oh wait. I can't apply because I'm white. Its for minority ethnicities only.

Actually they've included a justification in the email - "because we recognise minority ethnicities can sometimes lack the networks and contacts to get into a highly competitive area such as this"

Yeah because I'm white I've got contacts coming out of my arse have I? My dad is a labourer and my mums a nurse. We live on a council estate in East Anglia. Obviously we've got loads of high-flying contacts in law and advertising!!!

Made me so angry.
Reply 29
there is no such thing as "positive" discrimination
Reply 30
Original post by Cable
Can you think of any alternatives to tackle discrimination, instead of positive discrimination?

In short, no.

There used to be a quota (3% iirc) for the number of employees who were registered disabled. The quota was removed when the DDA was introduced on the assumption that everyone would be treated fairly. Legislation exists to prevent discrimination on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, etc BUT human nature is human nature and a recruiter will find a way not to employ someone if they don't want to. There is of course nothing to stop ethic minority (or other minority) employers doing the same if they are so minded even if it is illegal.
There is no such thing as 'positive discrimination'. I don't even understand how anyone could possibly create more contradictory noun phrase. If I ever get hindered in my life on the basis of gender or race then I will vote the BNP. I will fight fire with fire.

What morons call 'positive discrimination' is pretentious pandering.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 32
Only for donkeys, those guys never get a break. :cry2:
Reply 33
No, no, no!
Positive discrimination of one person, is just negative discrimination of another.
The solution is no discrimination whatsoever. If you don't have discrimination, then there will be an equal playing field. And society today broadly speaking is already accepting of everyone, you don't need a government programme to force equality on people, because left to themselves the people will treat everyone equally. As soon as you introduce some kind of positive discrimination programme, then you tip the scales in favour of one person, but equally tip the scales in the other direction to negatively impact another.
Just don't do anything, and an equal society can be had. People like that bitch Harman strive only to make things worse for men or a certain social group, the only thing you can do to allow equality is to do nothing at all. Equality created by people choice is always going to be more sustainable than equality forced at figurative gunpoint anyway.
Reply 34
Original post by Cable
Can you think of any alternatives to tackle discrimination, instead of positive discrimination?

No discrimination?
Original post by Cable

First you have to demonstrate, not assume that the root cause for inequality in employment is discrimination. So far I've seen no one do that, ergo this is adding discrimination to combat discrimination that probably didn't exist in the first place.

Latest

Trending

Trending