The Student Room Group

Women allowed to do police checks on men

I have just read this article about the new 'Clare's law' that may be passed and to be honest even though they have a good reason it is still unfair for men.

I say unfair not to the people it is meant for i.e. the abusive men but the fact that there is no mention that men have this right to check police records on women. This makes it sound like there are no women who have ever done anything like this to a man. Remember the recent stories of women cutting off mens penises? Which I for one would want to know if a potential girlfriend did this in the past!

But like i said they do have a good reason to put this forward but the fact that it is potentially removing any privacy the man has doesnt seem right to me unless they make it available to both sexes. But this is just my opinion.

What does everyone think about this? For? Against? Possible changes?

(and i know its the daily mail but dont just right it off completely)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'll take a woman police officer checking my genitels any day. :p:

And it's not the same as the other way around, I imagine less men will care about being felt up by a woman than if it was the other way around.
Original post by Genocidal

And it's not the same as the other way around, I imagine less men will care about being felt up by a woman than if it was the other way around.

It's not all that mate..

And i'm not sure you're right about it not being the same the other way around. You fancy getting groped by an older fat woman at work? Obviously you are romanticising potential situations..
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
What about gay men? Will they be able to check out their partners history? :beard:
Disgusting.

Somebody can never truly reform if one mistake is available for anyone to view.
Reply 5
I really don't agree with this, it sets a dangerous precedant.

I mean, I know a lot of men wouldn't have a problem with it, but we should have equality in this world where we are supposed to be so PC.
Reply 6

Felt up? I dont remember reading that!

Original post by Steevee
I really don't agree with this, it sets a dangerous precedant.

I mean, I know a lot of men wouldn't have a problem with it, but we should have equality in this world where we are supposed to be so PC.

My thoughts exactly...Most wont have anything to hide but thats not really the point.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
I'm uncomfortable with it, I feel like the implication is that men are brutal, raping, wife-beaters unless proven innocent.
Reply 8
"Women allowed to do police checks on men"

I think some people just read this and thought "check" meant "feel up".
Reply 9
Original post by jwza
Felt up? I dont remember reading that!

My thoughts exactly...Most wont have anything to hide but thats not really the point.

Sorry I mean checking.
This is the problem I have when some women say they want "equal rights". Some of them don't want that, these ones in particular, in fact they want unequal rights in their favour. I won't discuss if this measure is good or bad I just want to know why this women aren't protesting for both sexes to be able to do police checks on their potential partners.

The fact that, as Craig_D says, in this cases, men are guilty until proven innocent disgusts me.

What is she touches your concealed weapon?
****ing successive UK governments; something bad happens and suddenly a change in the law is needed.:rolleyes:
Just to point out that this is currently being considered. The proposal has not yet been accepted, as the title suggests.
Original post by The Dark Lord
What is she touches your concealed weapon?

Then I might have to let her check that too.
Original post by jwza
I have just read this article about the new 'Clare's law' that may be passed and to be honest even though they have a good reason it is still unfair for men.

I say unfair not to the people it is meant for i.e. the abusive men but the fact that there is no mention that men have this right to check police records on women. This makes it sound like there are no women who have ever done anything like this to a man. Remember the recent stories of women cutting off mens penises? Which I for one would want to know if a potential girlfriend did this in the past!

But like i said they do have a good reason to put this forward but the fact that it is potentially removing any privacy the man has doesnt seem right to me unless they make it available to both sexes. But this is just my opinion.

What does everyone think about this? For? Against? Possible changes?

(and i know its the daily mail but dont just right it off completely)

This is my issue with it as well, the fact that it is only for women to check on men. Men are abused in relationships as well so why is nothing in place for them.

I agree with clares law but NOT that it only functions for women
Terrible idea in principle anyway, but when it's completely unfair to one gender, it's even worse.
And where do I check to see if a women has a history if removing their partners penis.
needs to be equal rights for both partners.

same needs to go for child protection laws and the sarahs law rubbish. In recent years female pedo's have become increasingly well known by the media. Of course behind the scenes its been known for years they existed just it wasnt accepted in the public domain.

All these child protection rubbish and protect "vulnerable" woman stuff implies that men are guilty until proven innocent. Its so bad with child protection now that as a man, if you work with children/young people/vulnerable people you will automatically have more restrictions placed on what you can do compared to female equivilents. eg many organisations will have policys than men cannot work with woman unsupervised but woman can work with both genders. The excuse being its for "Your" protection from false accusations. Are they therefore implying woman are not able to be victims of false accusations???
Reply 19
This article claims one in four women are victims compared to one in six men. That's a notable difference, but one in six is still easily high enough to allow for men to check too going by the idea that if enough people are at risk then screw the innocent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending