The Student Room Group

Leeds Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aggie30
Hi just wondering what were you GCSE grades as you got ( just so i have a rought idea of what mine might score

They're on my profile. No one quite knows how leeds score the GCSE's, it's a bit of a mystery how they score the GCSE's as people with far better GCSE's than me have scored the same on GCSE's
Maybe it's something to do with the "core subjects" ?

Original post by vik94
Hi i was just wondering if the UKCAT comes in academic? Thanks :colondollar:

As stated in the OP the UKCAT is used to give one bonus points for applicants with a >700 average. It does not count towards your application any more than that.
The "Extracurricular achievement" will be my worst I think :frown:

What are everyone elses achievements?
Original post by joemullally
They're on my profile. No one quite knows how leeds score the GCSE's, it's a bit of a mystery how they score the GCSE's as people with far better GCSE's than me have scored the same on GCSE's
Maybe it's something to do with the "core subjects" ?

As stated in the OP the UKCAT is used to give one bonus points for applicants with a >700 average. It does not count towards your application any more than that.

Just wondering Joe, what was your work experience, voluntary, extracurricular achievements etc?

Also, what were you predicted for A2? Congrats on your grades btw! :biggrin:

Have you got a profile of your academics?
Original post by NinjaRikki
Just wondering Joe, what was your work experience, voluntary, extracurricular achievements etc?

Also, what were you predicted for A2? Congrats on your grades btw! :biggrin:

Have you got a profile of your academics?

They're all listed under the buttons on my profile :P

I don't know what I was predicted, college never told us.
Just looking at the medicine course at leeds... What would you people say are the advantages of this course?
Original post by NinjaRikki
Just looking at the medicine course at leeds... What would you people say are the advantages of this course?

I like the Wet anatomy and relatively early patient contact also the course is integrated and I think that different styles of learning and different ways of looking at things would be good for me personally.
Heya guys, I am a medicine re applicant and am considering applying to Leeds. I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on whether I have a good change at getting an interview and possibly getting an offer from there.

I am currently working full time as an HCA taking blood in the mornings and then doing admin in the afternoons.
I do also have a small amount of hospital work experience I have learnt from.
My GCSE's are A*A*A*AAAAABBB
My A-levels are Bio A Chem A Eco A, phys b(AS)
UKCAT is coming up but last year I only got 642.5 av
I did a reasonable amount of extra curricular activities while at school but have dropped most of there in favour of work and my love of running and fitness.

Any advice on whether the admissions policy at Leeds suits my record or if anyone could recommend anywhere else to look at would be great! I love the look of the course at Leeds, but obviously I need to be careful where to apply as I don't really fancy a 3rd time round.

Thanks
Original post by Steerforth
Heya guys, I am a medicine re applicant and am considering applying to Leeds. I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on whether I have a good change at getting an interview and possibly getting an offer from there.

I am currently working full time as an HCA taking blood in the mornings and then doing admin in the afternoons.
I do also have a small amount of hospital work experience I have learnt from.
My GCSE's are A*A*A*AAAAABBB
My A-levels are Bio A Chem A Eco A, phys b(AS)
UKCAT is coming up but last year I only got 642.5 av
I did a reasonable amount of extra curricular activities while at school but have dropped most of there in favour of work and my love of running and fitness.

Any advice on whether the admissions policy at Leeds suits my record or if anyone could recommend anywhere else to look at would be great! I love the look of the course at Leeds, but obviously I need to be careful where to apply as I don't really fancy a 3rd time round.

Thanks

It really would depend on how well your personal statement meets the crtieria for leeds.
The information on the criteria you're scored on is in the first post, your academics seem fine.
Reply 108
I know it's a bit early to start a thread but I know i'm definitely applying there this year.
Went to the 2010 open day and loved it.
So who else is thinking of applying there this year?

also a bit of an FAQ about their applications system.

Leeds applications scoring system

Good luck guys.

im definitely applying here! the fact that it doesnt really matter about ukcat is good, i was panicking slightly about mine! hahaha!
just need to work on my personal statement abit more thats all :smile:
Hey guys, I might be applying here :biggrin: (mainly because of my shameful UKCAT score :frown:)

Best of luck to all the applicants :yy:
Reply 110
hey guys!

i'm thinking of applying to leeds but worried about getting a high score with the scoring system

my academics are:
GCSE- 8A*s and 3As
AS- A(chem) A(bio) A(maths):smile: B (econ):angry:
predicted- AAAA(hopefully!)

work experience- 2 hospitals, gp surgery, volunteering in a care home for 1 year, hospital in india, special needs school, a week at NIMR

i got quite a few extracurricular stuff going on...

UKCAT- avg 655

is this good enough to get a high score in the leeds scoring system?
Original post by no.name
hey guys!

i'm thinking of applying to leeds but worried about getting a high score with the scoring system

my academics are:
GCSE- 8A*s and 3As
AS- A(chem) A(bio) A(maths):smile: B (econ):angry:
predicted- AAAA(hopefully!)

work experience- 2 hospitals, gp surgery, volunteering in a care home for 1 year, hospital in india, special needs school, a week at NIMR

i got quite a few extracurricular stuff going on...

UKCAT- avg 655

is this good enough to get a high score in the leeds scoring system?

Academically sound close to 13-14 out of 16 i reckon (can't get 16/16 without A levels in hand As;s don't count AFAIK)

Your statement would really depend on how well written it is.
Your UKCAT won't get you the bonus point.
Reply 112
im thinking of applying to the A100 course. do you think i would have a chance? (international student btw!) Thanks in advance :smile:

GCSE: 1A* 7A 1C
AS: AAAB (Math, Chemistry, Biology, Economics respectively)
Predicted AAA
UKCAT: 600

also can someone suggest another university that i could be legible for? because i am quite stuck with choices at the moment and im getting really worried :frown:
Do you get any bonus points for academics if you already have your A2 results?
Reply 114
I'm applying here via A2L.
Original post by Scarface-Don
Do you get any bonus points for academics if you already have your A2 results?

two bonus points for achieved grades.

Original post by franynli
im thinking of applying to the A100 course. do you think i would have a chance? (international student btw!) Thanks in advance :smile:

GCSE: 1A* 7A 1C
AS: AAAB (Math, Chemistry, Biology, Economics respectively)
Predicted AAA
UKCAT: 600

also can someone suggest another university that i could be legible for? because i am quite stuck with choices at the moment and im getting really worried :frown:

It would depend a lot on your personal statement here, If you have a good ps with a UKCAT score like that try liverpool or southampton?
Sent off my application today and decided to apply here. Best of luck to us all.
Original post by Caponester
Sent off my application today and decided to apply here. Best of luck to us all.

And to you aswell.
Did you send it to your referee or is it gone gone?

Ucas opened to all applications properly today.
And to you aswell.
Did you send it to your referee or is it gone gone?

Ucas opened to all applications properly today.

It's done and dusted. Got my referee to do his part last week so I could submit it and get it out the way ASAP.
Original post by Caponester
It's done and dusted. Got my referee to do his part last week so I could submit it and get it out the way ASAP.

Mine's with my referee, i'm waiting on my reference and for her to ok my personal statement, it'l be gone by the end of next week.hopefully.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending