• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessBess)
    2 More?
    You'll have to get in the boot.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm ready to send my UCAS form off, and I 99% sure I'm applying here. :P

I was looking at the list of things they want you to put in a personal statement, and the only thing I think I might be missing is "In addition to work experience, you should also have some factual knowledge about potential careers...". I've described what I think being a doctor will be like from my work experience, but I don't know whether it's quite the same thing.

I don't have anything about what subjects I'm doing either, as my reference talks about that in length.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Besakt)
    You'll have to get in the boot.
    I may just be the driver
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I applied to leeds last year. I scored 9/16 academically but I later discovered I was only predicted AAB, so I guess that could've had a big impact on my score. Anyway, I went on to achieve A*AA and I was wondering if any of you guys could predict what I might score academically with these grades (and GCSEs of A*AAAAAAAB). Thanks
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessBess)
    In your PS did you write much about academic subjects? I remember from open day they were keen for you to show you enjoyed your subjects/medicine as an academic subject. I am at 4000 characters now and struggling to fit that in.:eek:

(Original post by Escapade)
    I'm ready to send my UCAS form off, and I 99% sure I'm applying here. :P

I was looking at the list of things they want you to put in a personal statement, and the only thing I think I might be missing is "In addition to work experience, you should also have some factual knowledge about potential careers...". I've described what I think being a doctor will be like from my work experience, but I don't know whether it's quite the same thing.

I don't have anything about what subjects I'm doing either, as my reference talks about that in length.
    Didn't mention my subjects in my statement for last year, heavily mentioned my voluntary commitments and any work experience.
    And also said a little about how medicine has affected me personally (but that's part of my reasons for wanting to become a doctor)
    Basically I reckon what they look for is good knowledge of what you're letting yourself in for (for the second poster) and academic achievement and interest in the subject (first poster).
    I think you can incorporate both as medicine is a scientific career, you don't really have to reflect on your A levels IMO but it's important to know that medicine is a course and requires a lot of study, which you have to partly enjoy and also a career that is very VERY long before you get to the top.
    It's how you show these that they're looking for IMO and are offering guidelines of ways that they've seen it done by previous applicants.
    E.g. enjoying your subjects and having a good interest in biology at A level means that you're more likely to work harder for that subject, after all they're looking for the best students / future doctors. Generally speaking it'l be those people who enjoy the subject and read into it more than just the surface depth.

(Original post by MJHERBZ)
    I applied to leeds last year. I scored 9/16 academically but I later discovered I was only predicted AAB, so I guess that could've had a big impact on my score. Anyway, I went on to achieve A*AA and I was wondering if any of you guys could predict what I might score academically with these grades (and GCSEs of A*AAAAAAAB). Thanks
    No idea,
    I got 2A* 1A 6B's and a C (no idea of A2 predictions) and got A*A*AA achieved. I'm in the same boat but AFAIK it's just two bonus points, so you'd get 11 same as I'm expecting.

that is as far as I know though, good luck man.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by This Honest)

I mean thanks
    Do you by any chance know how Leeds mark your academics? It's out of 16 but how do you know what points you'll get?
    i cant seem to find it, but could you please tell me how they calculate the points?
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by franynli)
    i cant seem to find it, but could you please tell me how they calc
    ulate the points?
    I'm not sure atm as I havent done deep research yet :/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by This Honest)
    I'm not sure atm as I havent done deep research yet :/
    same :\ im such a last minute person i dislike that about myself, anyways thanks!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, think I am ready to send it off. :eek: Good Luck with yours.

(Original post by joemullally)
    Didn't mention my subjects in my statement for last year, heavily mentioned my voluntary commitments and any work experience.
    And also said a little about how medicine has affected me personally (but that's part of my reasons for wanting to become a doctor)
    Basically I reckon what they look for is good knowledge of what you're letting yourself in for (for the second poster) and academic achievement and interest in the subject (first poster).
    I think you can incorporate both as medicine is a scientific career, you don't really have to reflect on your A levels IMO but it's important to know that medicine is a course and requires a lot of study, which you have to partly enjoy and also a career that is very VERY long before you get to the top.
    It's how you show these that they're looking for IMO and are offering guidelines of ways that they've seen it done by previous applicants.
    E.g. enjoying your subjects and having a good interest in biology at A level means that you're more likely to work harder for that subject, after all they're looking for the best students / future doctors. Generally speaking it'l be those people who enjoy the subject and read into it more than just the surface depth.

No idea,
    I got 2A* 1A 6B's and a C (no idea of A2 predictions) and got A*A*AA achieved. I'm in the same boat but AFAIK it's just two bonus points, so you'd get 11 same as I'm expecting.

that is as far as I know though, good luck man.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you could had to choose what would you say is the number 1 thing in the application that Leeds are looking for? Eg, Sheffield it would be UKCAT, Southampton would be a killer PS etc.

Thanks!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erotas)
    If you could had to choose what would you say is the number 1 thing in the application that Leeds are looking for? Eg, Sheffield it would be UKCAT, Southampton would be a killer PS etc.

Thanks!

It's a more all round system than those.
    A good personal statement and decent GCSE's would be important.

The application system is broken down as comprehensively as possible with the information we have in the first post.
    Look at where you can get the marks.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's a more all round system than those.
    A good personal statement and decent GCSE's would be important.

The application system is broken down as comprehensively as possible with the information we have in the first post.
    Look at where you can get the marks.
    Oh okay thanks! And am I right in thinking that they don't look at AS grades, only predictions?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay thanks! And am I right in thinking that they don't look at AS grades, only predictions?
    Yup.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yup.
    Thank you!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yup.
    One last question - I don't really have many ECs and the ones I do have, I haven't achieved anything from them. Do you think Leeds are really big on ECs or if I have a ton of work-experience should I be alright?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hi does anyone know if leeds have an age entry requirement?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    One last question - I don't really have many ECs and the ones I do have, I haven't achieved anything from them. Do you think Leeds are really big on ECs or if I have a ton of work-experience should I be alright?
    Well ECs help demonstrate you are an all round person, shows social skills, commitment and things like that. As long as you have other ways of showing things like that you should be fine.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    hiya i want to email leeds admissions regarding gcse's however i can't seem to find an email address? please help
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hihi does anyone know if there is an age limit for the leeds undergrad med course?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: August 30, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.