The Student Room Group

Leeds Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Erotas
One last question - I don't really have many ECs and the ones I do have, I haven't achieved anything from them. Do you think Leeds are really big on ECs or if I have a ton of work-experience should I be alright?

It's more of an allround thing AFAIK, so i'd say both.

It depends how you show them.

Original post by franynli
hihi does anyone know if there is an age limit for the leeds undergrad med course?

Aren't most of them 18 for insurance reasons?
No top limit but over 45 is unlikely everywhere?
10 A's, should I not apply to Leeds?
I got 675 in the UKCAT but after reading this whole thread I realise that is worth, literally, 0.
:frown:
Reply 162
Original post by joemullally

Aren't most of them 18 for insurance reasons?
No top limit but over 45 is unlikely everywhere?

Oh its okay, someone from the admissions office replied, Leeds doesn't have an age requirement. and yes most of them do because of the NHS stating it but im just three months younger than 18 by the 2012 entry thats why its been a bit of a problem :\
Oh its okay, someone from the admissions office replied, Leeds doesn't have an age requirement. and yes most of them do because of the NHS stating it but im just three months younger than 18 by the 2012 entry thats why its been a bit of a problem :\

ahh right fair enough, are you a higher student? or did you get moved up a year?

Original post by bdoohan740
10 A's, should I not apply to Leeds?
I got 675 in the UKCAT but after reading this whole thread I realise that is worth, literally, 0.
:frown:

I got 677.5 and am still applying here, it's your decision.
The 10 A's are at GCSE i'm assuming.
it depends on your ps etc etc but I wouldn't not apply here because you have a decent UKCAT.
Reply 164
ahh right fair enough, are you a higher student? or did you get moved up a year?

Kinda moved up a year-ish haha
long story :\ i did grade one twice because i changed schools with canadian then american schooling. then when i went to british schooling they though i was way behind so i skipped to year 4. but im not really supposed to be in that year :P if you get what i mean
Kinda moved up a year-ish haha
long story :\ i did grade one twice because i changed schools with canadian then american schooling. then when i went to british schooling they though i was way behind so i skipped to year 4. but im not really supposed to be in that year :P if you get what i mean

Year 4 primary?
So you got moved up by accident?
Win!
Reply 166
Year 4 primary?
So you got moved up by accident?
Win!

hahah! yea primary 4, not by accident idk maybe the principle thought i shouldnt stay that dumb... :P
hahah! yea primary 4, not by accident idk maybe the principle thought i shouldnt stay that dumb... :P

fair enough.
Reply 168
Does anyone know what sort of things they give points for, for the extra curricular achievement? And does the points needed for interview change each year or 39 the cut off?

Also does anyone know how many points I'll score academically, GCSE 9A*S A level predicted A*A*A*A? I also got 710 average for UCKAT if that has any bearing?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lupon7
Does anyone know what sort of things they give points for, for the extra curricular achievement? And does the points needed for interview change each year or 39 the cut off?

Also does anyone know how many points I'll score academically, GCSE 9A*S A level predicted A*A*A*A? I also got 710 average for UCKAT if that has any bearing?

You get a bonus point for your UKCAT.
No one knows what academics you'll get but I should imagine it'l be 13 or 14 (you cant get 16 without A levels achieved.)

The extra curricular stuff is generally achievement etc, so national teams, awards, etc etc will all ad towards it.

The cut off hasn't changed for a bit but it was meant to last year and didn't.
Reply 170
You get a bonus point for your UKCAT.
No one knows what academics you'll get but I should imagine it'l be 13 or 14 (you cant get 16 without A levels achieved.)

The extra curricular stuff is generally achievement etc, so national teams, awards, etc etc will all ad towards it.

The cut off hasn't changed for a bit but it was meant to last year and didn't.

Could someone post a link to the PS marking scheme please I can't seem to find it. Thanks
It's in the op.
I got it from my rejection letter.
Hey guys!

I'm a reapplicant!
Got 9/16 for academics last year with A*A*AAAAABBBBB, 662.5 UKCAT and A*A*A* predictions!

Got A*A*A* in my A levels in hand, and 667.5 UKCAT, so hopefully I'll get a few more for academics! Anyone any idea roughly what I will get? :smile: thanks guys!

Also, just wondering whether the point limit (39 last year) changes from year to year?
Reply 173
Original post by Luke0011

Hey guys!

I'm a reapplicant!
Got 9/16 for academics last year with A*A*AAAAABBBBB, 662.5 UKCAT and A*A*A* predictions!

Got A*A*A* in my A levels in hand, and 667.5 UKCAT, so hopefully I'll get a few more for academics! Anyone any idea roughly what I will get? :smile: thanks guys!

Also, just wondering whether the point limit (39 last year) changes from year to year?

I'm sure you'll get a few more points for your academics, how much did you miss an interview by last year? And the point limit will vary according to the competition.
Original post by Sanjetti
I'm sure you'll get a few more points for your academics, how much did you miss an interview by last year? And the point limit will vary according to the competition.

I got 31/46! :P so not amazing to be honest!
Reply 175
how are the points scored? where can i find this info?
how are the points scored? where can i find this info?

First post.
Reply 177
First post.

woops i mean like academics wise how many points is an A?
woops i mean like academics wise how many points is an A?

Ah, that is the big question! :P
Reply 179
Ah, that is the big question! :P

ohh maannnn D: haha

Quick Reply