The Student Room Group

Anyone got any advice...stuck!

Hi everyone

Hoping someone can help me, I'm at one of those crossroads in life....

I was always a good student at school, and after my GCSE's went on to study A levels in law, politics, philosophy and english, with the intention of studying either politics or English at degree level then seeing what happened next. However, while I was studying at college a family member became ill and I left college to help care for them, get a job to bring in some money and also to help looking after other members of the family.
I drifted in and out of jobs, and eventually left the U.K to live with family abroad. I worked entry level jobs and travelled around a bit before returning to home to England.
Now in my early twenties, I knew I had to pull my finger out and get some kind of a career. I only had A/S levels, so applied to a nursing course as I met the requirements, and had care experience in the past. I was accepted, so began the course. A short time after I had to take time out of the course again when a very close relative was diagnosed with a serious illness. Two years later, I returned to the course.
I am enjoying the course so far, and feel that I'm doing ok....but this is not what I want to do. I enrolled on the degree because I had the entry requirements, and that's it. I feel I'd be ok nursing, and some days I even enjoy it, but it's just not what I want to do. I never really wanted to be a nurse, and still don't.
I've been thinking about quitting the course....but, what then? I'm 26 now, and feel over the hill, and that I've wasted my life. It seems as though I've messed things up beyond repair. I'm miserable where I'm at, but the alternative is a lot worse. Suspended in uncertainty and indecision. Lots of my work experience is abroad, and for numerous reasons I've had trouble chasing up references from people I used to work with there. I don't have the years of experience or continuous work history expected of someone my age, due to my caring responsibilities and my flitting between continents. I'm certain I don't want to nurse, but have no idea what else to do, or if I'd get onto another job/degree.

I guess I'm just at a loss at what to do really. I don't want to do something I'm not passionate about for the rest of my life, but am I being too optimistic....is everything crap? To put it bluntly:P Does everyone feel unfulfilled in their job? At my age, should I just put up and shut up.....or is it not too late to try to do something I enjoy...?

Any advice would be most gratefully appreciated. Thanks for reading, and apologies for the mini novel I've written.
Reply 1
You say you don't want to do something that you are not passionate about. So, what are you passionate about and how can you turn that into a career?

All jobs (I believe) have bits that are boring, repetitive, unchallenging etc. I'm sure even people in the most exciting jobs get that "Oh not this again" feeling sometimes.

You either need to find a way of earning money doing what you are passionate about or earning enough money at work to do what you are passionate about outside of work.
Reply 2
I was the same as you - I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do. I had narrowed it down that I wanted to work with people, in caring profession, completely away from what I was doing at the time (design/retail). I just wanted someone to come to me and say "you should to this job!"

I looked for career personality tests online and had a Eureka moment when I saw the results. One of the jobs was nutritionist, something I had never considered before, then I researched more and now I'm training to be a dietitian, something I am completely passionate about.

So have a look for some online tests/quizzes for a starter. And you are not over the hill. Don't be so daft! I didn't start researching my career change til I was 30 (now 37), so just make sure you do something sooner rather than later, but bare in mind things take planning and could take a while. Good luck x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending