The Student Room Group

Most underrated player in world football

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
i can tell you who the most over-rated is and thats fernando torres
Reply 41
Benayoun
Reply 42
With my Arsenal cap on I'll say Bacary Sagna who whilst universally recognised as 'good' doesn't get enough praise. There is not a single better right-back than him in the world.

Elsewhere I think Everton are litterred with underrated players: Fellaini is an incredible footballer and I don't know why he hasn't been snapped up. Cahill may not be gifted with pure talent but he is efficient and consistently scores crucial goals. I don't think Busquets is appreciated enough (as a player I mean, he's also a cheating ****) and other Premier League players like Kompany, Gyan, Ivanovic and N'Zogbia are pretty underrated.
Original post by hash007
Btw, it's LUCAS LEIVA ... don't understand the stick he gets from football fans.

It shows how poor Brazil are when a player as average as him can get into their team.
Reply 44
Original post by OllyRogers
Stuart Mundy. Play with him in Monday night 5-a-side and I can say with confidence there are very few better holding players in the indoor game.

Well, I have to stand by this post now, just finished - a defensive masterclass for Mundy and popped up with two goals. Still only 25 so has a good few years ahead of him!
Reply 45
Ledley King. Now I know it's a bit silly to treat persistent injuries as 'what ifs', but he returns from a lenghty absence, trains scaringly due to his knee, yet can totally boss the defence upon his return like he done at the end of last season.
Jorge Valdivia. :coma: Dario Conca and Walter Montillo, too.
Matt Le Tissier. How he only won 8 England caps I'll never know!

Reply 48
Benoit Assou-Ekotto.

The new mr marmite.
Reply 49
Joe ledley is well the job he does for celtic is brilliant same with wales.
Reply 50
I've always said Park but he's been getting his due over the past couple of years.

Nowadays I'd go with Lee Cattermole and Lee Chung-Yong if we're talking about just the Prem. :colondollar:

Original post by mau5
Shola 'It's difficult when your second touch is a tackle' Ameobi.

:rofl2:

Original post by xmarilynx
Thomas Müller :coma:

That's a good shout, actually. I thought he was better than Ozil at the World Cup. :adore:
Reply 52
Fellaini.
Reply 53
Original post by GoonerTom
With my Arsenal cap on I'll say Bacary Sagna who whilst universally recognised as 'good' doesn't get enough praise. There is not a single better right-back than him in the world.

Elsewhere I think Everton are litterred with underrated players: Fellaini is an incredible footballer and I don't know why he hasn't been snapped up. Cahill may not be gifted with pure talent but he is efficient and consistently scores crucial goals. I don't think Busquets is appreciated enough (as a player I mean, he's also a cheating ****) and other Premier League players like Kompany, Gyan, Ivanovic and N'Zogbia are pretty underrated.

Daniel Alves, Lahm? Both superb, Alves in particular. What he does for that Barcelona is so underrated in my eyes. They simply don't function as well without him. I would say Alves is vastly underrated as well actually, people recognise him as a good player, but he's top 10 in my eyes.

N'Zogbia is a great shout though, he really deserves to play for a team much better than Wigan, I know Villa have been interested, but he deserves someone better than them, Valencia proved the step up can be made, about time someone snapped up N'Zogbia.

Edinson Cavani, another massively underrated player.
Gio Dos Santos.
Cardozo.

That's just off the top of my head, the list is endless.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Raja1988
Benayoun

Good shout, I miss his beautiful face and football skills!
Reply 55
Jay-Jay Okocha (he was so good they named him twice!)

Not for his performance as a footballer, but as an entertainer. The most fun player to watch in my lifetime, imo.

Also, John Arne Riise and Xabi Alonso (Underrated by Rafa, it seemed :frown:)
Reply 56
Original post by MHRed
Jay-Jay Okocha (he was so good they named him twice!)

Not for his performance as a footballer, but as an entertainer. The most fun player to watch in my lifetime, imo.

Also, John Arne Riise and Xabi Alonso (Underrated by Rafa, it seemed :frown:)

Not true.
Reply 57
Original post by Deshi
Not true.

Care to elaborate any more on that?

I base my argument on Xabi saying
'"At the end of that season, speaking to Rafa, he told me the situation and that he wanted to sign other players and I could be one of the replacements," [Xabi] explained.'
Reply 58
Original post by MHRed
Care to elaborate any more on that?

I base my argument on Xabi saying
'"At the end of that season, speaking to Rafa, he told me the situation and that he wanted to sign other players and I could be one of the replacements," [Xabi] explained.'

I don't really want to go through it all but basically at that time Alonso had come of the back of two mediocre seasons whilst Barry was playing awesome for Villa in CM, you can hardly blame Rafa for wanting to replace Alonso with Barry at that stage. Alonso had done nothing to justify staying. This whole saga seemed to give him a kick up the backside and he had an awesome season, and by the end of it Rafa told Xabi he wants him to stay but Alonso was intent on going (tax was a major reason as well)
Reply 59
Original post by Deshi
I don't really want to go through it all but basically at that time Alonso had come of the back of two mediocre seasons whilst Barry was playing awesome for Villa in CM, you can hardly blame Rafa for wanting to replace Alonso with Barry at that stage. Alonso had done nothing to justify staying. This whole saga seemed to give him a kick up the backside and he had an awesome season, and by the end of it Rafa told Xabi he wants him to stay but Alonso was intent on going (tax was a major reason as well)

Seems like it was only liverpool fans who thought replacing Alonso with Barry was anything other than ridiculous.

Quick Reply

Latest