The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy entry 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by geek chica
oh awesome, thankyou !
and well done on getting in!

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by pinkmonkey93
I've firmed Sheffield too :biggrin:! Does anyone know the deadline for applying for accommodation?

woooo :biggrin: maybe we should start a facebook group or something at some point to get everyone together?! im not entirely sure but i dont think it will be for ages until like july/start of august or something. but i think we need to apply soon if we want to get into a certain place :smile: do you know where you want to go? i want to go in endcliffe its lovely there :smile: x
Original post by isjkdwbw18
woooo :biggrin: maybe we should start a facebook group or something at some point to get everyone together?! im not entirely sure but i dont think it will be for ages until like july/start of august or something. but i think we need to apply soon if we want to get into a certain place :smile: do you know where you want to go? i want to go in endcliffe its lovely there :smile: x

Yeah we defs should meet everyone before we go :biggrin: I think I like The Ranmoor Village, you can do virtual tours I'm getting excited! Oh that's ok then, I thought it was now you had to apply.
Reply 4003
Original post by SalC
At my UEA interview day it was mentioned that part of having your fees paid by the NHS is that you have to work for the NHS for 2 years after you qualify. Now I always assumed this would be the case but have never seen it written anywhere else, nor was it mentioned by any of the other unis. Does anyone know if it is written anywhere? I hope to work in Guernsey for a few years (I grew up there) but they do not have the NHS there.

Thanks
Sal

Hi, I'm a bit concerned I might have said something like this! But just to clarify, the NHS does not expect you to come and work for them because they pay the fees. However, you cannot practise as an independent SLT through membership with the association of independent slts without 2 years experience hence being employed in the public sector. The RCSLT strongly RECOMMENDS that newly qualified go into the nhs as the nhs is better equipped to help graduate with their continuing professional development etc which is a requirement from the health professions council. You can also work in local education authorities but the majority of posts will be provided by the nhs anyway. If you look on the rcslt.org.uk website and type in graduate into the search bar, some information comes up.

Hope this clarifies, if it was me that said that on your interview I apologise, just get my words mixed up a bit!
Reply 4004
Original post by lauraslw
Hi, I'm a bit concerned I might have said something like this! But just to clarify, the NHS does not expect you to come and work for them because they pay the fees. However, you cannot practise as an independent SLT through membership with the association of independent slts without 2 years experience hence being employed in the public sector. The RCSLT strongly RECOMMENDS that newly qualified go into the nhs as the nhs is better equipped to help graduate with their continuing professional development etc which is a requirement from the health professions council. You can also work in local education authorities but the majority of posts will be provided by the nhs anyway. If you look on the rcslt.org.uk website and type in graduate into the search bar, some information comes up.

Hope this clarifies, if it was me that said that on your interview I apologise, just get my words mixed up a bit!

Ah thanks Laura, don't worry I think it was a member of staff that said something, but then again I may have misunderstood! I know the NHS provides most posts, and if I'm honest I will more than likely be living at home and hopefully (!) working in Newcastle, job depending of course, until I can get on my feet. I just wanted to be sure, I do want to move back to Guernsey for a few years before I settle down... I guess I'm thinking rather far into the future!

Btw, I firmed UEA! :biggrin: So excited.
Reply 4005
Hi, i'm a first year speech and language therapy student studying at Sheffield. If you have any questions regarding the course or the uni, feel free to ask me :smile:
Original post by lauraslw
But just to clarify, the NHS does not expect you to come and work for them because they pay the fees. However, you cannot practise as an independent SLT through membership with the association of independent slts without 2 years experience hence being employed in the public sector. The RCSLT strongly RECOMMENDS that newly qualified go into the nhs as the nhs is better equipped to help graduate with their continuing professional development etc which is a requirement from the health professions council.

Yes, we've been told a similar thing. We have to have the opportunity to meet our NQP competencies within a year of getting our first post, which can't be done/supervised in independent practice.
Thanks for your support everyone. Ive just had an email from BCU saying I'll find out their decision 'soon' which is what I was told weeks ago lol (at least some are in during hols). So Geek Chica, that doesnt sound good if they've already done all their interviews? I wonder how many will attend the 'mop up.' Id be so gutted if i didnt even get an interview :-(. Thanks again everyone, this has been the worst wait of my life and I just want it to be over. Well done those with offers and good luck to those waiting x
Original post by 123emily
Yaaaay! I just got an offer from BCU! :biggrin: Firming!

omg well done :biggrin: i know the feeling :smile: i was soo happy ! I've firmed too. Do you have facebook :smile: I am starting to look at accommodation, I like IQ and Opal 1, but IQ is nearer :P add me on facebook :smile: xx
Original post by jennie.stollar
omg well done :biggrin: i know the feeling :smile: i was soo happy ! I've firmed too. Do you have facebook :smile: I am starting to look at accommodation, I like IQ and Opal 1, but IQ is nearer :P add me on facebook :smile: xx

Thanks! :smile: Well don e too! I've just been looking at accommodation and is IQ the one which is situated closest to City South? I really like the look of Opal 1 but I think I might apply to one of the City South ones because they're closer and I'm lazy :smile: I have facebook but never really use it, more of a twitter person haha xx
Original post by slt2015
Hi, i'm a first year speech and language therapy student studying at Sheffield. If you have any questions regarding the course or the uni, feel free to ask me :smile:

What accommodation are you at?
Reply 4011
What accommodation are you at?

I'm staying at Ranmoor
Original post by slt2015
I'm staying at Ranmoor

Do you like it? Which is better Ranmoor or Endcliffe?
Reply 4013
Do you like it? Which is better Ranmoor or Endcliffe?

I've really enjoyed staying at Ranmoor and have met some fantastic people as a result. Which ones better depends on what your looking for really. The accommodation at Ranmoor seems nicer and more spacious than the flats i've seen at endcliffe but that's probably because they're slightly newer. However Ranmoor tends to be quieter than endcliffe, with the ridge fairly empty and the edge generally much livelier.
Reply 4014
Original post by Spence_LJS
Ah, I do, too!

It's just to be eligible to have your fees paid, you have to be /eligible/ for the NHS bursary, even if you don't get any money after means testing. I got that 3 years outside the EU thing from the NHS bursary eligibility page... When are you going to phone to check? I think you have to phone the NHS instead of Student Finance, so at least you might get some sound advice :smile:

Hey could you send me the link or copy and paste what that said please? I'm looking on the NHS page but can't find it.

When I emailed the support desk the guy said that he thinks I'd be eligible but said he wasn't sure so gave me the email of the eligibility team. No word back from them yet, emailed them over a week ago! Rang the support desk again yesterday and this time a different guy thought I WON'T be eligible, but that I should wait for the eligibility team to get back to me as they'd know for definite.

I was prepared to not have the NHS Bursary, the non-income assessed grant, and the travel expenses, but if it's the case that I won't have my tuition fees paid I may have to re-evaluate this. I just don't know if I can afford it.
Reply 4015
Original post by slt2015

Hi, haven't firmed Sheffield yet, but looking likely!
Got quite a lot of questions actually!

I'll be 23 when I start, and it will be my second degree. Are there many 'mature' students on the course at Sheffield?

When do you begin your first placement? Are they weekly or block placements?

I'm expecting the work load to be much heavier than that of my first degree in music - how much contact time is there? When are exams and assignments due it etc?

Thank you! Great to have someone to ask! :smile:
Original post by 123emily
Thanks! :smile: Well don e too! I've just been looking at accommodation and is IQ the one which is situated closest to City South? I really like the look of Opal 1 but I think I might apply to one of the City South ones because they're closer and I'm lazy :smile: I have facebook but never really use it, more of a twitter person haha xx

urm IQ isnt listed on the actual BCU website, its private like opal 1 except opal 1 they have a deal with so thats why its on there website. IQ is 15mins from campus, 10mins from bullring and 5mins from clubs etc. Opal 1 is 25-30mins walk to campus, more expensive, and 15mins ish from centre :smile: I will be applying directly to IQ i think, and then i might apply directly to opal 1 too :smile: Its all a bit confusing because IQ isnt BCU's accommodation but from what I've gathered BCU students go there. Opal 1 is really nice too, but a tad more pricey and further away from campus which is kinda putting me off a tad. I personally dont like the actual city south accom because its not ensuit and its just health students, and I want to mix with others and have a more social environment :smile: and haha I dont get twitter, have it, but never use it :P I'm a facebook person haha :smile: let me know what accomm you are looking at :smile: x
Reply 4017
Original post by dapto1
Hey could you send me the link or copy and paste what that said please? I'm looking on the NHS page but can't find it.

I was prepared to not have the NHS Bursary, the non-income assessed grant, and the travel expenses, but if it's the case that I won't have my tuition fees paid I may have to re-evaluate this. I just don't know if I can afford it.

Hi Dapto, I am hoping that you get through as it will be horrible to have to rethink everything now. I was born in the UK, but have lived overseas since I was a small child. I have been assessed as NOT being eligible to have my fees paid as I would have had to have continuous residency in the UK for 3 years prior to the application. My tuition fees are fourteen thousand pounds a year. I would think that the residency thing would apply to you also, have you been out of Ireland for more than 3 years ?
Reply 4018
Hi everyone :smile:

Anyone firmed City or interested in City? Seems pretty scarce round here!

xxxx
Original post by dapto1

When I emailed the support desk the guy said that he thinks I'd be eligible but said he wasn't sure so gave me the email of the eligibility team. No word back from them yet, emailed them over a week ago! Rang the support desk again yesterday and this time a different guy thought I WON'T be eligible, but that I should wait for the eligibility team to get back to me as they'd know for definite.

Sure, it's just on their website:

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/3261.aspx

Did you phone the NHS Bursary team or Student Finance?

The wording is: "Have been ordinarily resident in the UK, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man throughout the three years preceding the prescribed date, apart from occasional or temporary absences" so I suppose it depends what they classify as a temporary absence.

How long have you been living outside the UK?

Quick Reply