The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy entry 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amalie98
Hey Jennie, I can't seem to access it, can you paste the direct link please, thanks x

ohh really :frown: ohh, well here is the link :smile: https://www.facebook.com/groups/115926765206331/
Original post by aish94
Haa I love the thought of bringing a bike, you should defo do it!
not fun, that's soon.. but good luck with both the coursework and the exams :smile:
Oh it really is awful, don't know how I have stuck with it this long but oh well, just need to concentrate and get that B! But yes we will stay positive and see each other in September :biggrin: haha

I think if I have the choice between riding a bike and sitting on a bus or something, i'd probably pick the bus! Not sure if it's worth taking it :tongue:
You too, i'm sure we'll see each other, and hopefully there will be a lot less maths in both of our lives haha. :smile:
Original post by jennie.stollar
yeah is a bit annoying, nevermind. and yeah, I may ring them up tomorrow and go see it thursday but I am pretty settled on it :smile: x

Okay :smile: Let me know if the accomodation is nice if you go and see it then :smile: Also, I'm thinking of making a new Facebook soon so I might join that group too :smile: I don't want my dislike for Facebook to get in the way of making new friends at uni haha x
Reply 4083
Original post by 123emily
Okay :smile: Let me know if the accomodation is nice if you go and see it then :smile: Also, I'm thinking of making a new Facebook soon so I might join that group too :smile: I don't want my dislike for Facebook to get in the way of making new friends at uni haha x

Hello Ladies :smile: Just to say I've been living in Birmingham for seven years (I did my first degree here but at UoB) so if anyone would like showing around or has any questions about transport, nightlife, etc then I'd be happy to help if I can. Goodluck sorting out your accomodation :smile:

x
Reply 4084
MMU people, how/when did you get your MMU ID number? I need it to reserve accommodation. I firmed an unconditional offer a week ago.
Original post by 123emily

haha yeah create a new facebook then add the group :smile: I will be posting any updates on the facebook group I think as thats easier :smile: x

Original post by rao433
Hello Ladies :smile: Just to say I've been living in Birmingham for seven years (I did my first degree here but at UoB) so if anyone would like showing around or has any questions about transport, nightlife, etc then I'd be happy to help if I can. Goodluck sorting out your accomodation :smile:

x

Hello :smile: so what do you think of birmingham, what information and tips do you have about life in birmingham? dont really know what to ask but if you have any useful information then that'd be useful :smile: xx
Original post by dapto1
MMU people, how/when did you get your MMU ID number? I need it to reserve accommodation. I firmed an unconditional offer a week ago.

I had mine at the top of the letter that come with the questionnaire, and on the letter confirming my offer :smile: What accommodation are you going for? I put Daisy Bank as my first choice x
Reply 4087
Original post by ellied
Is there a group/anyone else for Leeds Met? I seem to be the only one at the minute!

I'm a maybe, all though they still haven't given me an offer/rejected me! I got an email from the international admissions dept last week - I'm British but was born in South Africa, and they're clearly confused by it! I've never been considered international for anything before haha! I think this may be holding up my application...I sent it in December.

The main thing attracting me to Leeds Met is because it's 3 years, and this is my second degree. I have places at Sheffield and Manchester at the moment, but really don't know where I'll end up! Have you firmed Leeds Met??
Reply 4088
Original post by laureneb10
I had mine at the top of the letter that come with the questionnaire, and on the letter confirming my offer :smile: What accommodation are you going for? I put Daisy Bank as my first choice x

Nice one, thanks. I just put Daisy Bank as my first choice and submitted it, fingers crossed!
Original post by rao433
Hey, Yes firmed with BCU straight away! I'm a "mature" student and have one degree so I got an unconditional offer...although me and "mature" in the same sentence makes me laugh! I'm only 26! :smile: I do remember being offered a conditional offer when I did my BA and it was nerve wracking so I understand how people are feeling!

I'm sure BCU will offer you a place! I was checking my UCAS every thirty minutes for two weeks!

What did you think of the written interview at BCU? X

Hey Rao. I just wondered whether you had an interview for BCU. Ive still not heard anything off BCU (my top choice) nor my second choice (DMU) it is totally driving me crazy. Has anyone been given an offer by BCU without havin an interview. Ive got a nasty feeling that theyve already done all their interviews which means ive probably been unsuccessful as ive heard nothing :frown: x
Reply 4090
Original post by Lusanda
I'm a maybe, all though they still haven't given me an offer/rejected me! I got an email from the international admissions dept last week - I'm British but was born in South Africa, and they're clearly confused by it! I've never been considered international for anything before haha! I think this may be holding up my application...I sent it in December.

The main thing attracting me to Leeds Met is because it's 3 years, and this is my second degree. I have places at Sheffield and Manchester at the moment, but really don't know where I'll end up! Have you firmed Leeds Met??

Ahh right! I emailed about accommodation and had no reply so I'm guessing they're away for easter. Leeds didn't have any interview/written interview process so there's still time.. Stay positive!

Yeah ive firmed Leeds met and insured MMU combined honours
Reply 4091
Hello :smile: so what do you think of birmingham, what information and tips do you have about life in birmingham? dont really know what to ask but if you have any useful information then that'd be useful :smile: xx

Get a student rail card as Birmingham has brilliant rail links - three main rail stations which go all over Birmingham (as well as cross country) so good for non-drivers when on placements. Also for the buses TWM only take the exact change, £3.80 for a day saver so you may want to start collecting change now :wink: Birmingham itself is nice but the Bullring can be quite expensive - so beware when you go shopping :wink: It has a range of night life depending on tastes....Broad Street is the most well known but also the trashiest! Brindley place is quite posh - good for taking visiting parents out for dinner. The Acardian is nice but slightly pricey. The Custard Factory is good - vintage shops by the day and by night indie/rock/alternative music.

Hey Rao. I just wondered whether you had an interview for BCU. Ive still not heard anything off BCU (my top choice) nor my second choice (DMU) it is totally driving me crazy. Has anyone been given an offer by BCU without havin an interview. Ive got a nasty feeling that theyve already done all their interviews which means ive probably been unsuccessful as ive heard nothing x

Hi Pink Flamingo....I'm not sure but I think the last interviews were on the 22nd March but I'd not like to say. Perhaps phone them to check? If you've not been successful I'm really sorry :frown: xx
Original post by rao433
Get a student rail card as Birmingham has brilliant rail links - three main rail stations which go all over Birmingham (as well as cross country) so good for non-drivers when on placements. Also for the buses TWM only take the exact change, £3.80 for a day saver so you may want to start collecting change now :wink: Birmingham itself is nice but the Bullring can be quite expensive - so beware when you go shopping :wink: It has a range of night life depending on tastes....Broad Street is the most well known but also the trashiest! Brindley place is quite posh - good for taking visiting parents out for dinner. The Acardian is nice but slightly pricey. The Custard Factory is good - vintage shops by the day and by night indie/rock/alternative music.

Hi Pink Flamingo....I'm not sure but I think the last interviews were on the 22nd March but I'd not like to say. Perhaps phone them to check? If you've not been successful I'm really sorry :frown: xx

I called BCU earlier and they said that they were still processing my application and couldnt tell me anything else, apparently my application was still with the tutor and admissions hadnt received it yet. I heard off somebody else that all the interviews have already been done so im kinda prepared for bad news. I just wish I could find out one way or the other even if its a no. I was rejected from BCU last year too (and without an interview) and was advised to follow some of their feedback/advice and get some more experience in SLT (which i have been doing during my annual leave from work) so I really don't know what im going to do if I get rejected again. Thats why i keep asking questions whether anybody knows anything cause it really is torturing me lol. Thanks for your help :smile: x x x
Reply 4093
Aww well best of luck, hope you hear some news soon!
Reply 4094
Original post by juliewho
Going to take my bike to cut down on travel costs, but i'll probably be too lazy anyway. I know, I have english coursework to do and my first exam is in about a month :frown: Everyone complains about maths and I tried it for a while last year but had to drop out because I was so bad at it, so I definitely know how you feel! :tongue: Positive thinking is the way forward though :biggrin:

Most of the student accommodation is in Jesmond, and the Stagecoach buses operate there. £7 for a weekly unirider pass isn't bad! :smile: the metros are quite expensive
Reply 4095
I'm going to firm the single MMU course and put the joint as my insurance (even though they're the same grades) anyone else firmed the single MMU one? :smile:
yayayay finally put it through on track MMU single is going to be my firm with UEA as my insurance :biggrin:
Original post by slt
I'm going to firm the single MMU course and put the joint as my insurance (even though they're the same grades) anyone else firmed the single MMU one? :smile:

yeah i have :biggrin:
Original post by pink_flamingo
Hey Rao. I just wondered whether you had an interview for BCU. Ive still not heard anything off BCU (my top choice) nor my second choice (DMU) it is totally driving me crazy. Has anyone been given an offer by BCU without havin an interview. Ive got a nasty feeling that theyve already done all their interviews which means ive probably been unsuccessful as ive heard nothing :frown: x

I think they are having a 'mop up' session the end of the month :smile: fingers crossed ! xx

Original post by rao433

Ahh this is really useful. I have a rail card at the moment, will I be able to use that one? :smile: are the trains cheap? :smile: and also... what are your thoughts on a car... especially for like placements and stuff. I just renewed my car insurance so I will probs leave it at home until that runs out next year but I don't know what to do with it. I heard that cars are useful when you have placements.

I think the accommodation IQ i am looking at is near broad street :smile: soo excited :smile: thanks for your help xxx
Original post by SalC
Most of the student accommodation is in Jesmond, and the Stagecoach buses operate there. £7 for a weekly unirider pass isn't bad! :smile: the metros are quite expensive

The one I applied for is just past Jesmond so i'll have a look at the bus services nearby, then weigh up the convenience of the metro vs the cheapness of the bus :tongue: I'm not too worried about travel though because it looks like there's loads of public transport nearby.

Quick Reply

Latest