The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy entry 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SalC
Wow that sounds fantastic experience, i hope you enjoy it! I still need to get some more in but I think everybody is in for a good chance, we all seem really prepared!

What books have you been reading? I think I might need to do some of that, I understand the SLT processes and methods but I've heard of a couple novels which are apparently a good read and really slt based.

What uni's are you thinking of applying to? I've got 7 in mind, need to narrow it down though! I haven't started my UCAS process yet, but we will be when I go back to college in September :smile:

Sal xx

A couple of good novels are The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (mentioned on here quite a bit!) and also Crossing the Void: My Aphasic Journey by Carol Cline Schultz. They're both written by people who have had strokes; the first is a quadriplegic and the second experiences severe aphasia and has to teach herself language again.

I've also got Crystal's Intro to Speech Pathology but I have yet to read that one. Trying to find 'A career in slt' too, but can't find anywhere that stocks it!

I'm thinking of applying to: Reading, Leeds Met, Manchester, MMU, Marjon and maybe UEA... obviously I can only choose 5 so need to do some more research and open days etc! I'd like to do a 3 year course but only the mets seem to do them (apart from UEA) and I've heard lots of complaints about how they organise the placements (Leeds met in particular). Tricky!
Original post by lauraslw
Only because i kept changing my mind and had to redo a module. I applied for drama first, then linguistics and then finally settled on slt and am so glad i did!

Well PBL in first year is good. You get put in a group and meet on a monday morning, given a different scenario each for week i.e the problem. For example the client in the scenario could be a 25 year old man with a traumatic brain inju ry struggling with his speech etc. The group goes through the scenario considering what factors are most important, stuff like his age, where he lives, available support, positives and difficulties. You also consider assessments and intervention. Then the group decides upon learning objectives to research for that week. So everyone goes away with their own question to find out about from books and teaching. The teaching in the week always supports the PBL scenario. once you have done your research you post it online for everyone else to see, then you have a discussion at the end of the week, ours usually had biscuits included! Sometimes the scenarios can be quite difficult to pick apart, but theres a lecturer in there to give a few pointers. Its quite an interesting way of learning! 2nd year pbl is a bit different i think but i am going to find that out!

What are the grades needed for UEA now? Where else are you applying to?

Thanks for your reply - I'd be interested to hear what PBL is like in the 2nd year when you get back to uni, do lemme know :smile:

The grades are ABB for UEA now. I've got AAB at A-Level in English Lang/Lit, Psychology and Classical Civilisations (like Ancient History) and a First in English Lang/Lit from Sheffield Uni. Just need lots of work experience now!
By the way, definitely read "A Career in speech and language therapy" by Kersner and Wright. I think any uni would love it if you tell them that you have read it. The authors are referenced quite a lot. Also, start to learn about reflective practice, read journals if you can (i know they are a bit dodgy to find), learn about transcription, find out a bit about stuttering and cluttering. i think the more you know, the more you seem confident in interviews :smile:

I'd love to read it but I can't find it anywhere! Just emailed the author (she's a lecturer at DMU) to ask :smile: Don't s'pose anyone has a copy I could buy?! haha.

I did Applied Linguistics and Phonetics at uni, so I'm hoping I'll be able to remember a bit about those modules for any interviews... might have to dig out my uni notes though!
Reply 123
Original post by Spence_LJS
I'd love to read it but I can't find it anywhere! Just emailed the author (she's a lecturer at DMU) to ask :smile: Don't s'pose anyone has a copy I could buy?! haha.

I did Applied Linguistics and Phonetics at uni, so I'm hoping I'll be able to remember a bit about those modules for any interviews... might have to dig out my uni notes though!

Yeah i have it! You could buy it off me if you want to for a fiver? I cant remember how much i paid for it sorry! You will get on really well with slt having done linguistics and phonetics!!
Yeah i have it! You could buy it off me if you want to for a fiver? I cant remember how much i paid for it sorry! You will get on really well with slt having done linguistics and phonetics!!

Ahh that'd be great! Do you have a paypal account? I'll pay postage too, of course. PM me? :smile:
By the way, definitely read "A Career in speech and language therapy" by Kersner and Wright. I think any uni would love it if you tell them that you have read it. The authors are referenced quite a lot.

It's out of print now due to lack of demand. Have a look on eBay or Amazon's used pages, but they may get a bit expensive. :s-smilie:
Had a look at grade boundaries and mark to UMS conversion. Disappointed, think I got ABB with the A in Lit :/
Reply 127
Hey everyone!
I'll be graduating from my French and Spanish degree next year, and I plan on applying for SLT (undergrad again, as I wouldn't get onto Msc with an ordinary degree) for 2012 entry =) My number one choice is Strathclyde as I'm from Glasgow - is anyone else applying there?
My back up will be Queen Margaret and then my back up back up probably Newcastle! Does anyone know anything about SLT at University of Ulster? The 3 years is tempting...
Thanks, Rhona =)
Original post by Rhonaa
Does anyone know anything about SLT at University of Ulster? The 3 years is tempting...

My friend on my course from NI had Ulster as her firm (Marjon was her insurance), but she said that they asked for much higher grades than what they had on their website, and she said the amount of places on the course is only about 30 if that, so it'll be quite competitive.
Reply 129
Original post by PhoenixFortune
My friend on my course from NI had Ulster as her firm (Marjon was her insurance), but she said that they asked for much higher grades than what they had on their website, and she said the amount of places on the course is only about 30 if that, so it'll be quite competitive.

Thanks for replying! Do you know if Ulster has a good reputation? I quite liked the look of the campus etc from the website. I have above the grades that they ask for on the website but that's interesting that your friend said that! My first choice is Strathclyde, which I think only has in the region of 30 places too! Eek!
Original post by Rhonaa
Thanks for replying! Do you know if Ulster has a good reputation? I quite liked the look of the campus etc from the website. I have above the grades that they ask for on the website but that's interesting that your friend said that! My first choice is Strathclyde, which I think only has in the region of 30 places too! Eek!

As far as I know it has a good reputation, as I've never heard anything negatiove about it. I believe it's second only to Galway.
Original post by Rhonaa
Hey everyone!
I'll be graduating from my French and Spanish degree next year, and I plan on applying for SLT (undergrad again, as I wouldn't get onto Msc with an ordinary degree) for 2012 entry =) My number one choice is Strathclyde as I'm from Glasgow - is anyone else applying there?
My back up will be Queen Margaret and then my back up back up probably Newcastle! Does anyone know anything about SLT at University of Ulster? The 3 years is tempting...
Thanks, Rhona =)

You have to have your degree certificate when you apply. So you'll only be able to apply for 2013 entry as UCAS applications for 2012 have to be in before Jan 15th.

However, if you had work experience you really should consider applying for the MSc. They're crying out for bilingual SLTs so you'd have a good chance with the right work experience. :smile:
Reply 132
A couple of good novels are The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (mentioned on here quite a bit!) and also Crossing the Void: My Aphasic Journey by Carol Cline Schultz. They're both written by people who have had strokes; the first is a quadriplegic and the second experiences severe aphasia and has to teach herself language again.

I've also got Crystal's Intro to Speech Pathology but I have yet to read that one. Trying to find 'A career in slt' too, but can't find anywhere that stocks it!

I'm thinking of applying to: Reading, Leeds Met, Manchester, MMU, Marjon and maybe UEA... obviously I can only choose 5 so need to do some more research and open days etc! I'd like to do a 3 year course but only the mets seem to do them (apart from UEA) and I've heard lots of complaints about how they organise the placements (Leeds met in particular). Tricky!

I'm hoping to apply for UEA, it's a big advantage for me if the course would be over in 3 years. Have you heard anything negative about UEA?

I went to the BCU open day and I really enjoyed the look of the course and the building you work in, but i've heard bad things about the accomodation and city itself :/

Sal xx
Reply 133
Original post by Han265
Hey, im starting my 3rd year at DMU in Sept.

Hiya, I'm looking at DMU as it's one of the shorter courses, and i love the look of the campus, however there doesn't seem to be an in detail description of the course modules on the website. If i visit the open day will there be more information available? How do you find living on campus, and near leicester which is one of the smaller cities in the country?

Thanks,
Sal xx
Original post by SalC
I'm hoping to apply for UEA, it's a big advantage for me if the course would be over in 3 years. Have you heard anything negative about UEA?

I went to the BCU open day and I really enjoyed the look of the course and the building you work in, but i've heard bad things about the accomodation and city itself :/

Sal xx

Nope, I think UEA is a really good uni. The only thing that I'm not sure about is the problem based learning. Instead of lectures they give you a task or scenario at the start of the week and you have to go out and find the information, then have a seminar at the end of the week. I've already done an English degree which was basically self-taught (you had 4 or 5 hours contact time a week), so I was kinda hoping for proper lectures! If you can find the Speech and Language 2011 thread on here, someone was explaining the UEA course layout etc.

Gotta watch out for the 3.5 year degrees - I think you have to to wait until the summer to graduate anyway, so you might as well just do the 4 yr? I think that's the case for Marjon, not sure about the others though.
Reply 135
Original post by SalC

Sal xx

Hiya, I live in Birmingham, and it's really not bad at all! The BCU campus you'd be at is in the leafier, posher parts (Edgbaston) and isn't far from the city centre (about 15 minutes on the bus). I'm looking to apply there, purely because I need to stay in my home city, but if I was looking to move here for uni, I think it's a great city to be in - it has pretty much everything in every area, the BCU campus is brand new and in a nice area (and not far from Broad St if you're into clubbing and the likes), and there's good transportation links (trains around the country, buses are quite good, taxis to city centre from the campus would be around a fiver etc.)

There's some decent accommodation too from what I hear, I personally haven't seen it, but I think Opal have buildings nearby, and that's all quite high end (:
Original post by SalC

Sal xx

The SLTs are on BCU's 'City North' campus, which is in the rather rough area of Perry Barr. The buildings are built so it feels a bit like you're standing on a roundabout island. Some people love being in the centre of it all, but I wasn't one of them. :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 137
Nope, I think UEA is a really good uni. The only thing that I'm not sure about is the problem based learning. Instead of lectures they give you a task or scenario at the start of the week and you have to go out and find the information, then have a seminar at the end of the week. I've already done an English degree which was basically self-taught (you had 4 or 5 hours contact time a week), so I was kinda hoping for proper lectures! If you can find the Speech and Language 2011 thread on here, someone was explaining the UEA course layout etc.

Gotta watch out for the 3.5 year degrees - I think you have to to wait until the summer to graduate anyway, so you might as well just do the 4 yr? I think that's the case for Marjon, not sure about the others though.

Ooops sorry probably didn't explain too well. Just to clarify at UEA you definitely do get lectures. Theres about 16 hours contact time a week
Ooops sorry probably didn't explain too well. Just to clarify at UEA you definitely do get lectures. Theres about 16 hours contact time a week

Ohh okay. That makes a lot more sense! Thanks for clarifying :smile:
Reply 139
Original post by aisha_12
Hiya, I live in Birmingham, and it's really not bad at all! The BCU campus you'd be at is in the leafier, posher parts (Edgbaston) and isn't far from the city centre (about 15 minutes on the bus). I'm looking to apply there, purely because I need to stay in my home city, but if I was looking to move here for uni, I think it's a great city to be in - it has pretty much everything in every area, the BCU campus is brand new and in a nice area (and not far from Broad St if you're into clubbing and the likes), and there's good transportation links (trains around the country, buses are quite good, taxis to city centre from the campus would be around a fiver etc.)

There's some decent accommodation too from what I hear, I personally haven't seen it, but I think Opal have buildings nearby, and that's all quite high end (:

Thanks for your reply, I'm still considering BCU as i really did love the social approach to the course, I think at the end of the day the city is as safe as you make it, I'm just not sure if how huge it is will put me off or not. I'll have a deeper look at the accomodation, but the one I saw looked a bit shabby, but hey, as a student, what does it matter really?!

Thanks again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest