The Student Room Group

Heat Equation - bar, length L, heated at one end, cooled at the other end

Scroll to see replies

No. v(x, t) = u(x, t) - s(x, t).
Sorry mistype I meant v(x,0)=u(x,o)-s(x)

So in my case v(x,0) = sin(xpi/L)-1+2x/L

I think this is right just want to double check, I know it may seem "dumb" but I just want to double check everything so I don't learn it wrong

EDIT: because I am working through it using v(x,0) as stated above and it looks like it is going really weird, and rather too longwinded.
(edited 12 years ago)
Well, I think that's the correct expression. Note that you can "write down" the Fourier expansion of sin(x pi / L), because it's just sin(x pi / L). So you just need to deal with the 2x/L - 1 term by writing it as a Fourier Series.
Original post by DFranklin
Well, I think that's the correct expression. Note that you can "write down" the Fourier expansion of sin(x pi / L), because it's just sin(x pi / L). So you just need to deal with the 2x/L - 1 term by writing it as a Fourier Series.

I'm sorry I am confused. I thought I was supposed to be solving

cn=2L0Lv(x,0)cos(nπxL)dx c_n = \frac{2}{L} \int_0^L v(x,0) \cos( \frac{n \pi x}{L} ) dx

To put in this equation:

u(x,t)=cnen2x2ktL2cos(nπxL)+12xL u(x,t) = \sum c_n e^\frac{-n^2 x^2 k t}{L^2} \cos ( \frac{n \pi x}{L} ) + 1 - \frac{2x}{L}

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean in your reply.
It should be sinnπxL\sin\frac{n\pi x}{L} in the integral, which is what you've been writing in every post up until the one just above - I don't know where cos(n pi x / L) has come from all of a sudden.

So you need to find [sinxπL1+2xL]sinnπxLdx\int \left[ \sin \frac{x \pi}{L} -1 + \dfrac{2x}{L}\right] \sin \frac{n\pi x}{L}\,dx.

You can split this into sinxπLsinnπxLdx\int \sin \frac{x \pi}{L} \sin \frac{n\pi x}{L}\,dx and [1+2xL]sinnπxLdx\int \left[-1 + \dfrac{2x}{L}\right] \sin \frac{n\pi x}{L}\,dx, and you should be able to write down the value of the first of these by considering the Fourier sin series for sinxπL\sin \frac{x \pi}{L}.

[Although if I'm completely honest, given your other postings in this thread, I think it's pretty likely you won't be able to do this and will just get confused. In which case just work out the integral the hard way].
It should be sinnπxL\sin\frac{n\pi x}{L} in the integral, which is what you've been writing in every post up until the one just above - I don't know where cos(n pi x / L) has come from all of a sudden.

So you need to find [sinxπL1+2xL]sinnπxLdx\int \left[ \sin \frac{x \pi}{L} -1 + \dfrac{2x}{L}\right] \sin \frac{n\pi x}{L}\,dx.

You can split this into sinxπLsinnπxLdx\int \sin \frac{x \pi}{L} \sin \frac{n\pi x}{L}\,dx and [1+2xL]sinnπxLdx\int \left[-1 + \dfrac{2x}{L}\right] \sin \frac{n\pi x}{L}\,dx, and you should be able to write down the value of the first of these by considering the Fourier sin series for sinxπL\sin \frac{x \pi}{L}.

[Although if I'm completely honest, given your other postings in this thread, I think it's pretty likely you won't be able to do this and will just get confused. In which case just work out the integral the hard way].

I'm trying to do it without working out the integral the hard way

would sinxπLsinnπxLdx\int \sin \frac{x \pi}{L} \sin \frac{n\pi x}{L}\,dx be equal to 0?
Reply 26
For n not equal to 1, yes.

For n=1 you have to use a trig identity.
Original post by around

Thank you :smile:
Original post by around

Or, as I said, observe that the Fourier sin series for sin(pi x / L) is going to be, um, sin(pi x / L)...
Or, as I said, observe that the Fourier sin series for sin(pi x / L) is going to be, um, sin(pi x / L)...

I do really appreciate the help you (and others) have given me with these questions I have been stuck on.
However, I have to say that I sometimes find your tone to me (and others) comes across as condescending. I am not sure whether you mean it to come across that way or not. But it can be a little hurtful to someone who is just trying to learn.

Quick Reply

Latest