The Student Room Group

Funding Clarification

Hi,

I have just graduated today and at the ceremony have heard rumors/speculation that if you managed to get a first (which I did:smile:) then you get to do your masters for free.
I can find absolutely no truth in this (as there is no information) from any quick searches I have done, and also an acquaintance of mine is adamant that his daughter has been accepted for a free masters at kings college if she obtains a first.
Do you think people may be possibly getting muddled up with being more likely to secure funding in scholarship form etc. if you got a first?
I don't particularly have any desire/motivation to do a masters at the moment - plus I have obviously missed this years intake deadlines. But if things don't go so well on the job hunt It's something I may look into - particularly if it's free!

Reply 1
Absolutely not true!!!!!!!!! I got a First and had to pay for my MA out of my own pocket. A First can help you stand out more in the funding battle, but I have never heard of anyone getting, or any university offering free masters degrees to people who get a First.
It sounds as if your friend received a conditional offer.

A first does not guarantee funding by any means. It does even guarantee a place for many courses.
Reply 3
Thanks guys. I knew it sounded to good to be true but was made to feel like an idiot for doing so!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending