The Student Room Group

Accidentally stole something

Ok so i went into newlook today and had a hard time choosing between two necklaces. I eventually picked one and paid for it but my sister was holding the other one and she asked me to put it back on the rack. Absent-mindedly, i put it in the bag instead, fortunately the theft detector didn't go off at the door.

I didn't realise this until i got home, i feel really guilty and i want to return it to the shop but i think the theft detector might go off and i might be charge for theft or something.

Should i take it back or just go in without it at first? or will it not go off if i take it back? I definitely dont want to keep it though, cos i feel guilty, like i stole it :s-smilie:
Reply 1
Give it to a homeless girl/ woman :smile:
Reply 2
Sell it and give the money to charity, like you said it wasnt your fault, chances are they wont miss it, do a good deed with it, you'll feel better for it.
Reply 3
Original post by HRH2
Give it to a homeless girl/ woman :smile:

Great idea.

I work in a fashion type shop and believe me they wont mind. Obviously if you return it they'll be grateful but I'm sure such a large business can cope with this one loss.
thanks, i think i'll just sell it and give the money to charity :smile:
Reply 5
Sell it and give it to charity?>.> then it is intentional stealing thats an awful idea.

Just return it, i'm sure they wont mind
Reply 6
It's not yours to sell. Return it to the shop and say that you by took it by accident. Even if the shop wouldn't care about one necklace, doesn't make it right.
Aw bless you, I had a similar experience with New Look, well kind of. Basically I bought lots of things, including a hat. By the time I had taken off my student discount (some items were sale and so I didn't get the discount off), I had no idea what the total should be, so I paid. It was only when I went home that I realise they hadn't charged me for this hat. I got really stressed about it, but it only cost a couple of pounds and, like you, I was really nervous about returning it. I give a lot of my old clothes to our family friends, who have two younger daughters who love wearing my "big girl" clothes- I gave it to them! As others have said, it's not going to do the company any harm, but I get why you don't want to keep it.
Yeah, no one wants to buy it so it looks like i'll have to take it back and hope i don't get arrested for a £3 necklace :P

Quick Reply

Latest