The Student Room Group

FORENSIC PSYCHOLOGISTS: Becoming fully qualified...

Hiii :smile:

I have been conducting a lot of research lately on how to qualify as a forensic psychologist, however I am still left with numerous questions that I hope somebody will be able to answer.

I am currently a 3rd year undergraduate student in criminology and psychology. I am planning on doing my MSc in forensic psych next year (stage 1) (Any recommendations as to where would be much appreciated- poss London Met?).

I understand that after this I must enter stage 2- which involves 2 years of supervised practice. I understand that you have to pay for enrolement fee(£720), annual maintenance fee (£672) as well as numerous other fees. My first question is do you get any kind of salary during this supervised training? surely you must?

My next question is what happens after this? are you then classed as a "chartered psychologist" or do you have to undertake more training?.

Thanks in advance for any information offered :smile: xxx
Reply 1
The traditional route is to do an accredited MSc in Forensic Psychology and then complete stage 2. This is done traditionally by securing a job as a Forensic Psychologist in Training. You may have heard you'll be a trainee for just 2 years but it is a lot more common to be doing the trainee role for about 4 years. You will complete exemplars in core areas and these will be externally assessed. If you can manage to work in a forensic setting and are able to apply the skills you need to complete the core roles and you are supervised by a 2 years post-chartered forensic psychologist, you don't have to specifically be a trainee.

From my limited knowledge of the pay, trainee salaries are in line with the NHS bottom band 6 salaries. You used to be able to work your way up a few points I think but I read that this practise could be frozen from 2012/2013.
(edited 12 years ago)
It shouldn't be an actual qualification.
Original post by meow13meow
Hiii :smile:

I have been conducting a lot of research lately on how to qualify as a forensic psychologist, however I am still left with numerous questions that I hope somebody will be able to answer.

I am currently a 3rd year undergraduate student in criminology and psychology. I am planning on doing my MSc in forensic psych next year (stage 1) (Any recommendations as to where would be much appreciated- poss London Met?).

I understand that after this I must enter stage 2- which involves 2 years of supervised practice. I understand that you have to pay for enrolement fee(£720), annual maintenance fee (£672) as well as numerous other fees. My first question is do you get any kind of salary during this supervised training? surely you must?

My next question is what happens after this? are you then classed as a "chartered psychologist" or do you have to undertake more training?.

Thanks in advance for any information offered :smile: xxx

Hey!

Make sure you obtain a good 2.1 (ideally a high 2.1- ie over 65) if thinking about professional routes in psychology!

For forensic, this is what the BPS outlines.......

* Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC). This is achieved by completing a Society accredited degree or conversion course
* Society accredited Masters in Forensic Psychology
* Stage 2 of the Society’s Qualification in Forensic Psychology (two years supervised practice)

You could complete stage 2 via a Doctorate in Forensic Psychology OR via the supervision route.

Some unis offer stage 2 doctorates.

Nottingham- http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/iwho/prospective/professionaldoctorates/dforenpsy.aspx

Birmingham- http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/students/courses/postgraduate/combined/psychology/forensic-psych-practice-doctorate.aspx

Once you've completed stage 2 training, you will qualify as Forensic Psychologist and a Chartered Psychologist. But, I think you will need to register with the BPS and HPC in order to collect your titles.

Check out the BPS website for stage 1 accredited MScs in Forensic Psychology

http://www.bps.org.uk/bpslegacy/ac?frmAction=results&Course_IDs_Selected=&CourseType=PG&Search_Type=NC&OrderBy=NAME&OrderDir=ASC&INSTITUTION_NUMBER=&TRAINING_COMMITTEE=DFPTC

I would look out for MScs with placement options, BPS accredation (obviously) and ESRC accredited as well. Friends of mine completed the Forensic Psychology MSc at Kent Uni (which is BPS and ESRC accredited) and I must say, it looked very impressive!! ESRC accredited means the course contains rigorous research methods training which on completion allows applicants to apply for ESRC PhD scholarships.

http://www.kent.ac.uk/psychology/msc/forensic/index.html

You will also need at least a 60% average to progress onto stage 2 training. (I would advise against London Met, but thats just me!).

I'm hopefully starting my stage 2 training, but in health psychology from September :smile: (just need a successful career development loan!).

Hope this helps! :smile: Happy to answer any additional questions! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest