The Student Room Group

Retaking a levels

I need to retake my A Levels (I want to apply for a job that needs good grades). I'm 21 and at Uni. Does anyone know if I can do this through a Sixth Form college (i.e. like when I was 17) or whether I need to do this on my own. If so, is it very hard to arrange self-sitting?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by flamer
I need to retake my A Levels (I want to apply for a job that needs good grades). I'm 21 and at Uni. Does anyone know if I can do this through a Sixth Form college (i.e. like when I was 17) or whether I need to do this on my own. If so, is it very hard to arrange self-sitting?

Thanks

When did you take A levels? New specifications for most subjects came out in 2008 for exams from Jan 2009. If your A levels pre-date that then you'd have to retake the whole thing. If they are more recent then you can still just take selected unit exams to improve your grade.

You can take exams as a private candidate at any school or college that is willing to accept you. Your old sixth form college may well do as they have a relationship with you, otherwise you just get on the phones and speak to school/college exams officers. Obviously they'll only take you for exams they offer to their own students so you need to know exactly what you are asking for before you call. Most just ask for the exam fee plus a small admin charge. There are some private centres that will take you for pretty much any exam, especially in London, but they are very expensive.

Anything that includes assessed practical skills or assessed coursework can be very difficult to arrange privately. Most schools/colleges won't do it for you and I think AQA are the only examiners that will do it.

AQA
http://web.aqa.org.uk/admin/p_private.php
Edexcel
http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/Pages/private.aspx
OCR
http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/learners/ocr_39366_learn_private_cand_guide.pdf
Reply 2
Original post by flamer

Thanks

firstly as the poster above me has mentioned the specification for all subjects apart from maths changed in 2008 (for yr12's who started in september 2008)- if you started your a-levels before 2008 then you can't retake any modules in any subjects other than maths. if you wanted better grades you'd need to retake a-levels again.

also most jobs that want a certain ammount of ucas points require this to have been achieved in 1 sitting, so id check this isn't the case for whatever you want to apply for as well.
To add to the advice above, if you went to a college you'd have to pay fee's as after the age of 19 you can't get free further education anymore. You can, however, self teach it yourself and then pay to enter the exams (usually around £50 an entry though)

If you get in touch with your local council they may be able to point you in the right direction in entering as a private candidate.

Quick Reply

Latest