The Student Room Group

can GCSE maths exams all be taken in January if you wish?

Good Afternoon All,

I am 28 and a a couple of years ago i was accepted to do my RE PGCE but I did not have my maths GCSE and failed the equivalency test so my dream was given up.
The head of RE PGCE tutor of the university is very encouraging and keeps saying I should reapply which is only a good thing although I do realise this is no guarentee I would be accepted again.

My brother in law is now head of maths in a school and has said he will tutor me a couple of nights a week.

I have just heard that to even apply next year for PGCE you need the maths and equivalency tests will not not be on offer unless it is to apply for the year after.

So....my course does not really start to fill until January so is it possible to take all exams in the January exam period??
Reply 1
Original post by emmajayne
Good Afternoon All,

I am 28 and a a couple of years ago i was accepted to do my RE PGCE but I did not have my maths GCSE and failed the equivalency test so my dream was given up.
The head of RE PGCE tutor of the university is very encouraging and keeps saying I should reapply which is only a good thing although I do realise this is no guarentee I would be accepted again.

My brother in law is now head of maths in a school and has said he will tutor me a couple of nights a week.

I have just heard that to even apply next year for PGCE you need the maths and equivalency tests will not not be on offer unless it is to apply for the year after.

So....my course does not really start to fill until January so is it possible to take all exams in the January exam period??

No, GCSE maths exams are not offered in January
You could take them in November.
Reply 2
If you are talking about the difficulty then maths at gcse level is ok and can be easily passed. As for the ability to be able to, I'm quite sure that Maths can be taken in November/January.

To my knowledge, OCR Subjects are done in November, while Subjects AQA/ Edexcel are done in January.
You can take linear GCSE mathematics exams in November 2011 or March 2012 (this is a special sitting as old specifications are being replaced).

Edited in the light of Kev's reliable info.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest