Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Comp Sci or Software/Electronics Eng - job prospects?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you think there would be much difference in future employment prospects between either of the two degrees below? Both from the same university.

a) Computer Science BSc or BEng (both 1-year work placement)

b) Software and Electronics Systems Engineering BEng (1-year work placement)

Thank you
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    It is good to see that not everyone on here like to take joke degrees.

Comp science can get paid more on graduating (25k - 40k) depending on who they work for. Also, they can do jobs on the side during their degree for extra cash in web design and/or maintaining servers etc.
    However, both degrees guarantee excellent jobs in a market which has a large opening for them.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tedd)
    Do you think there would be much difference in future employment prospects between either of the two degrees below? Both from the same university.

Thank you
    Yes. Electronics engineering will open up a wide range of engineering positions that a computer science degree will no.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A Computer Science degree doesn't teach you how to build electronics, whilst as an Electronic Engineering degree teaches you programming and electronics. I would say Elec Eng gives you more options.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Both great degree subjects - highly desired by our clients since 1997!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tedd)

Thank you
    The fields are both stable long-term careers; i find the computer science grads are getting a lot of attention right now because no matter what is engineered out there, it's ALL about the apps
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by huggzy_bear)
    The fields are both stable long-term careers; i find the computer science grads are getting a lot of attention right now because no matter what is engineered out there, it's ALL about the apps

Thanks, my preference between the two would be Computer Science.

Just out of curiosity, generally how much attention are grads in either of the two fields below getting in comparison to Computer Science grads?

a) Mathematics BSc
    b) Mathematics with Computer Science BSc

Equal, more, or less?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can see where this is going (i hope) so i'll save you the trouble..

What do you wanna do/achieve/aspire to?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

What do you wanna do/achieve/aspire to?
    Good question, and one which I would very much like to be able to answer. Though at this moment in time, probably not one I can answer.

A genuine answer, rather than me just saying something and then change my mind in a month or so...

Possibly computer programming...maybe.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What you'll find is once you know what you want to do/achieve/aspire to, it's easier to then root around in the BIG box of degrees and educational/career routes and find something that is aligned more in that direction.

Gimme a top 5, or gimme an amount of money you'd like to have earned by 30...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, I have been thinking about programming. So I think possibly that.

I don't want to go into teaching, accountancy, or actuarial work.

Living in the country and working from home sounds good, just to be near family. So perhaps there's the possibility of doing that with computer programming. I am aware of a graduate friend of a friend who works from home for a finance company.

Gimme a top 5, or gimme an amount of money you'd like to have earned by 30...
    Are any of the degrees which I have mentioned generally better income-wise?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Take a look at www.itjobswatch.co.uk and see what's going on in IT - also www.cwjobs.co.uk for contract work.

Bear in mind that most contractors earning decent wages have had to put in some normal rat-race hours while they gain experience and exposure - whiz-kids who can code comfortably from home on a contract that can pay bills come around once in a blue moon.

Web-based work is one area where you could get a nice client base as a young 'up-and-comer' as long as you're willing to work hard to gain a decent portfolio, but even that requires quite a bit of effort before you can work from home.

If you're talking working from home at 30 for example, you've got A LOT more options - most programmers could work from home if they were good enough or their employer was flexible enough.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much for the info and links huggzy.

I'll take a look at those sites now.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 21, 2011
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.