The Student Room Group

Working at Fish&Chips Shop, Experiences?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
http://i.ysi.bz/Assets/GalleryImage/13/209/L_g10544220_4820913.jpg

That skirt in grey and a black jumper and tights wtfux
They have a uniform of only black trousers and white top apparently. fair enough I guess (I wish there was an option of a skirt though, tubby hips fml )
But they could have informed me of this before I arrived, the owner made me feel like I was a right tart and that I would be an embarrassment to the customers/his shop.
( Its a chippy ffs, last time I checked it was a country town not islam town -rantrant-)

Its a good wage and that's the only reason I applied, I wasn't really happy of the job itself sigh iunno.
I have anxiety and self image issues and today just really knocked my confidence, I think it would be better for them as well for someone more reliable and suitable I guess.
If I get upset/hurt by the owners, god knows how I'd cope with difficult customers.
I thought I'd be fine but fff.
I guess I can afford not to take it as I live at home, I guess job wise I have some other options - yeah /fail
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by nofuture
http://i.ysi.bz/Assets/GalleryImage/13/209/L_g10544220_4820913.jpg

That skirt in grey and a black jumper. u_u..
They have a uniform of only black trousers and white top apparently. fair enough I guess (I wish there was an option of a skirt though, tubby hips fml )
But they could have informed me of this before I arrived, the owner made me feel like I was a right tart and that I would be an embarrassment to the customers/his shop.
( Its a chippy ffs, last time I checked it was a country town not islam town -rantrant-)

Its a good wage and that's the only reason I applied, I wasn't really happy of the job itself sigh iunno.
I have anxiety and self image issues and today just really knocked my confidence, I think it would be better for them as well for someone more reliable and suitable I guess.
If I get upset/hurt by the owners, god knows how I'd cope with difficult customers.
I thought I'd be fine but fff.
I guess I can afford not to take it as I live at home, I guess job wise I have some other options - yeah /fail

Its probably because of the fryers, trousers = more protection than tights etc if you get splashed but that's bad they didn't tell you before and made you feel like crap, their reason sounds weird! :frown:

You're not a fail, kitchen work is hard though, I say kitchen because its so hot near fryers! September time a lot of places start recruiting for xmas temps, could be worth applying real early with the hope of being taken on in the new year in a retail position maybe?

All customer environments can be stressful but I find when people are hungry they are worse..! I work in Tesco at the minute and the customers are much nicer here than they were in McDonalds!
Reply 22
Wasn't kitchen work that day though was waitressing :C
but yeah I don't think food jobs is for mee, going to follow up on some other jobs/workcourses I've recently applied for.
Oh well ..I don't think I would have enjoyed working there tbh couldn't see myself lasting very long.
(edited 12 years ago)
edit:

Got sent home after 5minutes on first day, as what I was wearing was embarrassing apparently.
Tell me your uniform before I arrive then fools =_='
I SO WIN AT LIFE!

Gonna ring later and give up my position to someone who has more confidence, I can't do people. :frown:

Your quitting because of that, if you want to be a loser for the rest of your life then fine, go straight ahead. That starting wage is brilliant and you should really consider what you're giving up. What on Earth did you wear?
Reply 24
Original post by pinda.college
Your quitting because of that, if you want to be a loser for the rest of your life then fine, go straight ahead. That starting wage is brilliant and you should really consider what you're giving up. What on Earth did you wear?

I've already said what I wore.
& I don't know how I'm going to be a loser for the rest of my life for giving up a job at a chippy lawl.
Rather work in an environment I feel comfortable in than be made felt like a tart in the first 5minutes.
7 pounds is a good wage but If I hate it and makes me feel uncomfortable and sets me back whats the point?
So piss off imo!
(edited 12 years ago)
I've already said what I wore.
& I don't know how I'm going to be a loser for the rest of my life for giving up a job at a chippy lawl.
Rather work in an environment I feel comfortable in than be made felt like a tart in the first 5minutes.
7 pounds is a good wage but If I hate it and makes me feel uncomfortable and sets me back whats the point?
So piss off imo!

You will not get far in life with that attitude so you need to fix up. Do you think people want to clean ****-stained toilets full of needles?, do you think people want to wake up in the mornining and collect the rubbish? No, they don't. They do it because their grateful they've got a job unlike some people and they don't take job security for granted. Made to feel like a tart in the first five minutes? You should've took an incentive and called them before turning up in the wrong clothing. Don't blame the employer for your 'quitter personality' because you'll find that a majority of bosses aren't nice.

Get used to it!
You can't give up because of that. Were they polite to you when they said about your clothing? Example: "Look, what you are wearing isn't very suitable. Could you perhaps come in in something else next time?" or "You can't wear something like that! What were you thinking?" To be fair, they should have told you before you went in, I agree with you 100% there. But now you know, I think you should get yourself black trousers and a white t-shirt, like what you saw everyone else in. I really don't think you should give up on the first day. I was so nervous about it because like you I wasn't a very people person, I was always very shy and reserved but you will get used to it!

And what you said in an earlier reply about seeing people you know, don't be worrying about that. I saw people I knew all the time, it's going to happen if you come from a small town or area which you will know most people. It isn't really something you can avoid.

I really think you should give it more than a day before you quit! :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Deathly_Hallows
You can't give up because of that. Were they polite to you when they said about your clothing? Example: "Look, what you are wearing isn't very suitable. Could you perhaps come in in something else next time?" or "You can't wear something like that! What were you thinking?" To be fair, they should have told you before you went in, I agree with you 100% there. But now you know, I think you should get yourself black trousers and a white t-shirt, like what you saw everyone else in. I really don't think you should give up on the first day. I was so nervous about it because like you I wasn't a very people person, I was always very shy and reserved but you will get used to it!

And what you said in an earlier reply about seeing people you know, don't be worrying about that. I saw people I knew all the time, it's going to happen if you come from a small town or area which you will know most people. It isn't really something you can avoid.

I really think you should give it more than a day before you quit! :frown:

No, Plus there was no one else to compare too, there is the owners and then the only other staff would be the waiter aka my position.
I was about to start work when the woman training me got called out to be talked about me.
Then she came back and told me I would have to go home because that I was an embarrassment to the shop and the customers.
Keep in note all I'm wearing is a black long sleeved jumper,black tights and a plaid skirt don't see how that is outrageous.
I wasn't even aware there was a uniform, they could have told me in the 3 times they've spoken to me - rather than totally humiliate me nor did it give me any notice or time to buy a uniform.
I would have liked to have tried again, but its too late now - they would have found someone else.
Best to keep ugly people out of the workplace anyway!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by pinda.college
You will not get far in life with that attitude so you need to fix up. Do you think people want to clean ****-stained toilets full of needles?, do you think people want to wake up in the mornining and collect the rubbish? No, they don't. They do it because their grateful they've got a job unlike some people and they don't take job security for granted. Made to feel like a tart in the first five minutes? You should've took an incentive and called them before turning up in the wrong clothing. Don't blame the employer for your 'quitter personality' because you'll find that a majority of bosses aren't nice.

Get used to it!

When did I ever blame anyone?
All I said was it showed I wasn't up to the job or environment as I thought I was.
The job might as well go to someone who doesn't have problems as I do.
Stop being an angry tw-t cause honestly your opinion of me is utterly pointless, tell me something that I don't already know!

This thread needs to be closed now,before other people decide to continue the unnecessary bashing <_<;
I feel bad about it already! okay?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29
edit:

Got sent home after 5minutes on first day, as what I was wearing was embarrassing apparently.
Tell me your uniform before I arrive then fools =_='
I SO WIN AT LIFE!

Gonna ring later and give up my position to someone who has more confidence, I can't do people. :frown:

you're quitting after the first day????!?!?!!!???!!!
Reply 30
No, Plus there was no one else to compare too, there is the owners and then the only other staff would be the waiter aka my position.
I was about to start work when the woman training me got called out to be talked about me.
Then she came back and told me I would have to go home because that I was an embarrassment to the shop and the customers.
Keep in note all I'm wearing is a black long sleeved jumper,black tights and a plaid skirt don't see how that is outrageous.
I wasn't even aware there was a uniform, they could have told me in the 3 times they've spoken to me - rather than totally humiliate me nor did it give me any notice or time to buy a uniform.
I would have liked to have tried again, but its too late now - they would have found someone else.
Best to keep ugly people out of the workplace anyway!

Not even trying to hate, but one day isnt even a true representation of a work environment, nevermind 2 seconds, or however long you spent in the shop.

You might have thought you werent up to it, but you never know, if you never try anything new in life you'll never get anywhere. I would've been sympathetic if you'd have done at least a day and hated it, but you've been a bit cowardly to be honest, especially with the job market as it is right now.
Reply 31
I would have had gone in again if I had the chance to sleep on it and got over the embarrassment but I had to tell them that day.
But its done now, so no point commenting how cowardly and pathetic I'am - I already know ! I'd rather much work else where anyway.

The end
(edited 12 years ago)
OP is a failure at life and will never get anywhere.
Hi I'm 14 years old way be 15 this year does anyone know were I can get a part time job
Who else read that in the alien's voice from American dad? 😂😂😂😂😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending