The Student Room Group

Geography A-level books!

Hello, i am currently finished year 11 and enjoying my summer holiday. I really love (human) geography and am taking Edexcel Geography A-level next year. i want to get 'ahead of the curve' as they say and am extremely interested in reading a book on geography however i have found it hard to find. Could anyone on the student room help me out?

I'm not a huge reader (things like freakonomics and the rational optimist are the books i have read recently) and i defiantly do not want to read a textbook all summer! any suggestions would be loved, thank you!
Reply 1
I have just completed this course on Edexcel and when I was in your position, wanted to do wider reading aswell. To be honest there weren't really any books I read but I did start to read journals like 'National Geographic' and 'Geographical'. I found that they were really useful and so many of the articles related to topics on the Edexcel course. Also I know you said you didn't want to read a textbook, but Edexcel do revision books for each unit which I read religiously and it really paid off! :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you very much, just as suspected then! i occasionally read the national geographic, might look into it more, maybe even a subscription. Thanks for your response, i will get the revision guides, just not yet! determined to make the most out of summer! any other suggestions are welcome :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by coleee
I have just completed this course on Edexcel and when I was in your position, wanted to do wider reading aswell. To be honest there weren't really any books I read but I did start to read journals like 'National Geographic' and 'Geographical'. I found that they were really useful and so many of the articles related to topics on the Edexcel course. Also I know you said you didn't want to read a textbook, but Edexcel do revision books for each unit which I read religiously and it really paid off! :smile:

Yeah the revision books are class.
Reply 4
sorry to be rude but may i ask which revision books did you use? I think i will get the CGP one however i know those books can lack depth. sorry to be intrusive :smile:
Reply 5
Reply 6
I never used the revision books, I tended to use the textbook: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Geography-Textbook-Sue-Warn/dp/0340949295/ref=pd_sim_b_4 It's probably best not to buy it for over the summer, but it's great if you need extra help with your geography at any point, and want information in good detail. Think it's written by the geography examiners for Edexcel too.

Otherwise, just keep up to date with geography events in the news!
Reply 7
Thank you both, those both look great (if not a little expensive) i will be almost certainly getting the textbook and the revision guide when i get back to school, simply for 3 views (including teachers) on the modules. Perhaps for extra knowledge i will have to read around geography and not about it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending