The Student Room Group

Crashing Higher German, tips?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Having done A Level German, i did find vocabulary was VERY important. While it is not the be all and end all (grammar is obviously important), when you know what the person is talking about it is so much easier to respond! Good luck :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by J'adoreMaCachette
French and either German or Spanish I think :smile: That will be so awesome if we're in the same classes! :biggrin:

it would! it'd be great to already know people :biggrin:

Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I went to the open day that just passed in June, so wasn't planning on going to the upcoming one. But I'd go purely for a ScotQuals meet up. :biggrin:

that'd be ace, you should come! :biggrin:

Original post by matthewjsinclair
Haha well maybe, what are you aiming for in Sixth Year?

Definitely!

because my subjects have been messed up again, i'm back to doing 4 highers, so hopefully AABB, if not higher than that! :biggrin:

we should all totally arrange something to meet up! :biggrin:
Original post by paramore28

because my subjects have been messed up again, i'm back to doing 4 highers, so hopefully AABB, if not higher than that! :biggrin:

I have never seen so many green smilies in one post. :badger:

There's a bit of variation!

Just under two weeks til the Aberdeen open day!
Original post by matthewjsinclair
Just under two weeks til the Aberdeen open day!

I know exciting! We all have to arrange to meet somewhere at a specific time :biggrin:
How is everyone finding German now we're back to school? :smile: Becoming a Lieblingsfach fur mich :smile:
How is everyone finding German now we're back to school? :smile: Becoming a Lieblingsfach fur mich :smile:

Finding it alright, just getting the perfect tense perfected and then all will be running smoothlyyy:wink:
Yeah I just need to get the common irregulars memorised. It's actually rather difficult to learn a fourth language in some respects. I find myself unable to translate German easily into English, rather into French :P It's a complicated process to say the least! I rather like German grammar once I know it though; I like that it has structure. :smile: But to newbies, it's a b****! :biggrin:

Original post by youjustburnkid
Finding it alright, just getting the perfect tense perfected and then all will be running smoothlyyy:wink:
Keep up the hard work guys :biggrin:

I love German :P
Reply 69

Getting the hang of it rather quickly which is great! Just trying to get my head around the word order haha :P
Hey how you all getting on with Deutsch? Anyone attempted NABs yet? :smile: xx
Reply 71

Im really not liking german so far tbh. Ive been getting tonnes of homework - int 2 reading passages, essays, grammar exercises, memorising a big list of strong verbs, and we are away to start a book :eek: no NABs so far thankfully. How are you finding it?
Reply 72

Seem to be managing reasonably well so far! My teacher's putting my target grade down as an A which is some definite pressure haha! No NABs attempted yet though :P think the Extended Reading and Viewing NAB is in a few weeks though. What about you? How you finding it?:smile:
Original post by beth..
Im really not liking german so far tbh. Ive been getting tonnes of homework - int 2 reading passages, essays, grammar exercises, memorising a big list of strong verbs, and we are away to start a book :eek: no NABs so far thankfully. How are you finding it?

Seem to be managing reasonably well so far! My teacher's putting my target grade down as an A which is some definite pressure haha! No NABs attempted yet though :P think the Extended Reading and Viewing NAB is in a few weeks though. What about you? How you finding it?:smile:

Really good, German is becoming a joint favourite with French! :biggrin: I'd love to be able to get an A! Fingers crossed! Did my first NAB two weeks ago, the reading, and got 17/18 which I was thrilled at! Hoping to do Extended Viewing before Christmas and I'll attempt a listening soon... I did manage to somehow get 60% in my first attempt at a Higher listening, so hey good start! :P It's speaking I struggle with cause I feel like I need to stop and think if I'm saying the article correctly and putting on the right endings etc! With the verbs, I have to memorise 2 every week - present, pp and imperfect - it's really helpful! Good luck with everything, I hope we all do well :smile: Anyone go to the Glasgow, Edinburgh and Strathclyde open days?
Reply 74
Really good, German is becoming a joint favourite with French! :biggrin: I'd love to be able to get an A! Fingers crossed! Did my first NAB two weeks ago, the reading, and got 17/18 which I was thrilled at! Hoping to do Extended Viewing before Christmas and I'll attempt a listening soon... I did manage to somehow get 60% in my first attempt at a Higher listening, so hey good start! :P It's speaking I struggle with cause I feel like I need to stop and think if I'm saying the article correctly and putting on the right endings etc! With the verbs, I have to memorise 2 every week - present, pp and imperfect - it's really helpful! Good luck with everything, I hope we all do well :smile: Anyone go to the Glasgow, Edinburgh and Strathclyde open days?

I went to the Edinburgh open day, but unfortunately didn't make the Glasgow one.

60%?! :O That's amazing! So far I'm only getting about 30%, but I'm going to use the October Holidays to try and get better at them, however listening has always been my weak point, was never very good at French or Spanish listenings either :/

Also, how are people getting on with their personal statements? :smile:
I went to the Edinburgh open day, but unfortunately didn't make the Glasgow one.

60%?! :O That's amazing! So far I'm only getting about 30%, but I'm going to use the October Holidays to try and get better at them, however listening has always been my weak point, was never very good at French or Spanish listenings either :/

Also, how are people getting on with their personal statements? :smile:

Did you like Edinburgh? Glasgow was amazing! LOVED LOVED LOVED IT! Are you gonna apply there too?

In terms of PS, not started yet... I am planning to in the Oct hols. Well not entirely true, I did a spider diagram for all things I wanted to put on it! How are you structuring yours? And I don't know whether to make EVERYTHING I say relevant to the course or just about 70/80%...?
Reply 76
I really liked Edinburgh, and definitely applying to Glasgow too! Think those 2 and Aberdeen, Strathclyde and Stirling are going to be my 5 choices :smile: What 5 are you thinking of? :P

How's the personal statement going now? I've completely finished my first draft but I don't think I have much changing to do. I mostly wrote about my reasons for wanting to do the course with little bits dotted in about other things that I tried to make relevant to what I'm applying to :smile:
I really liked Edinburgh, and definitely applying to Glasgow too! Think those 2 and Aberdeen, Strathclyde and Stirling are going to be my 5 choices :smile: What 5 are you thinking of? :P

How's the personal statement going now? I've completely finished my first draft but I don't think I have much changing to do. I mostly wrote about my reasons for wanting to do the course with little bits dotted in about other things that I tried to make relevant to what I'm applying to :smile:

Glasgow, St A, Edinburgh, Stirling and Aberdeen. Already narrowed it down to either Glasgow or St A though haha!

Personal statement = still non existent. Hopefully the first draft will be done by the end of November, I am working on it :biggrin: How many drafts are you doing? St A said to do at least 10 drafts before the final one! :O I don't think I could do that...
Reply 78
Glasgow, St A, Edinburgh, Stirling and Aberdeen. Already narrowed it down to either Glasgow or St A though haha!

Personal statement = still non existent. Hopefully the first draft will be done by the end of November, I am working on it :biggrin: How many drafts are you doing? St A said to do at least 10 drafts before the final one! :O I don't think I could do that...

I think Glasgow's my top choice but I don't really mind where I go! :smile: St Andrew's is great! I did a summer school there just before the summer and it was amazing :biggrin: I would've applied there too if I'd got the grades but I'm not too disappointed cause I think I'd like to go somewhere bigger :P

I'm just doing the one draft! I don't think I'd have time for 10! :O
How did everyone's exam go? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending