The Student Room Group
Reply 1
saturn
My mum has smoked in the house all my life and im still living with them now, im wondering do you think it will have any harm on me in the future? Ive read an article and its kinda scared me is passive smoking as damaging as actually smoking? Why couldnt she have smoked out the window :mad:

you can never say with certainty. ive been in the same position and its clearly not a good thing.

shame some people happily abuse themselves and others in the process.
Reply 2
saturn
Ive read an article and its kinda scared me is passive smoking as damaging as actually smoking?
That's quite ridiculous. Mere scare propaganda. Well intended, but still utter BS.
saturn
My mum has smoked in the house all my life and im still living with them now, im wondering do you think it will have any harm on me in the future? Ive read an article and its kinda scared me is passive smoking as damaging as actually smoking? Why couldnt she have smoked out the window :mad:
I was in the same position as you, my little sister still is.

While one cannot be certain you will be affected by something in the future because of your mothers smoking, it is probably certain that you chances of being affected by some smoking related illness has been increased compared to the situation in which your mother didn't smoke....but who can say by how much? :frown:
Reply 4
i dunno, but i went to a club the other night for about an hour as i was just meeting up with a friend and i was driving so not drinking or anything...i couldnt breathe for smoke, it was so horrid - i woke up in the morning feeling like i'd just smoked a pack of 20 - yuck!
Reply 5
ApeXaviour
That's quite ridiculous. Mere scare propaganda. Well intended, but still utter BS.

enlighten us oh expert... :rolleyes:
Reply 6
technik
enlighten us oh expert... :rolleyes:

Ugh I hate that smiley. No need to patronise

Right, for every 100 non-smokers (with negligible contact with passive smoke) that get lung cancer, 116 consistent passive smokers get it. While indeed providing evidence of increased risk, it is far from significant. It really shows how the risk has been severely over-stated.

"An estimate that 1100 deaths occurred each year in the European Union as a result of passive smoking."*

"It is estimated that some 2,500 cases of lung cancer are caused by indoor radon each year in the UK."**

Take into account that the population of the EU was approx. 460mil before enlargement, while the UK is a mere fraction of that at 60mil. I'm sure you can do the maths. Eitherway living in a high-radon area such as Cornwall, you're far more likely to get lung cancer than say having a spouse who is a heavy smoker..

In conclusion: to say passive smoking is comparably as dangerous as smoking is nothing but a lie.

*Ref: http://www.nntonline.net/ebm/main%20pages/Common2.htm

**Ref: http://www.hpa.org.uk/hpa/news/nrpb_archive/press_releases/2004/press_release_08_04.htm

Latest

Trending

Trending