The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

manchester foundation year in engineering

please,anyone who has attended this course...could you tell me the in's and out's of it.like:-

what do you think you should have known before starting this course?:confused:
how are your lecture's and lecturer's ?:mad:
do you reside with other foundation year students,like do you have a group feeling or are you just isolated ,studying 24/7?:eek:
lastly.....any valuable advise for future foundation year students in engineering..:smile:

please help!!!!:colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Would also be interested as I'm starting in september.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Party55511
Would also be interested as I'm starting in september.

hey, are you also starting the engineering foundation? or life sciences?
Reply 3
anybody who attended the course????any thing about number of hrs of lectures you got every day. etc
Reply 4
Original post by hummingbird28
anybody who attended the course????any thing about number of hrs of lectures you got every day. etc

ım starting enginering foundation course in september :smile:) Finally i found someone who is going to study foundation
Reply 5
Original post by Y.Emre
ım starting enginering foundation course in September :smile:) Finally i found someone who is going to study foundation

wow..excellent . have you received any information regarding the course itself,since you have confirmed your place???

i am really,really excited.dunno a tad about what's gonna happen.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
wow..excellent . have you received any information regarding the course itself,since you have confirmed your place???

i am really,really excited.dunno a tad about what's gonna happen.

Noo ı havent had any information even my confirmed letter.they told me they will send but ım still waiting their letter because ım livin in Turkey so it could take long time.Yes ım an international student.What about you do you have any information ? Im very excided too ı dont know what will happen what ı have to do :eek:
Reply 7
Original post by Y.Emre
Noo ı havent had any information even my confirmed letter.they told me they will send but ım still waiting their letter because ım livin in Turkey so it could take long time.Yes ım an international student.What about you do you have any information ? Im very excided too ı dont know what will happen what ı have to do :eek:

yes ,a few day's ago i emailed an ex-foundation year student and he gave me a little of what we should expect.

Can I start of by saying, going to university you will have one of the best time of your life! The course itself isn't difficult! All you have to do is make sure you keep on top of the coursework and lectures. Physics is actually just some basic thermodynamics. You don't need to prepare much, they will tell you everything you need to know. But if you're really keen then I suggest you brush up on some partial fractions and some maths (as you will be given a small assessment in the first few weeks).

In my opinion the hardest thing is infact settling into the city and once you got that done it'll all fly by. But most of all make sure you don't forget to have fun!!!!
:smile: don't hesitate to contact me, always happy to help.

hope it helps
Reply 8
hey..have you received your CAS no.yet???any idea??
Reply 9
yes ,a few day's ago i emailed an ex-foundation year student and he gave me a little of what we should expect.

hope it helps

Thanks a lot it helps a little bit

what is your major ? im going to study Electrical & Electronic Engineering and have you choosen your halls ?
Reply 10
CAS no ?????? i have no idea what it is :smile: i dont know ıf ı have or not :=)
Original post by Y.Emre
Thanks a lot it helps a little bit

what is your major ? im going to study Electrical & Electronic Engineering and have you choosen your halls ?

planning to progress to civil engineering.and yes i have given my application for accommodation.though i'm not sure how it work's .many students on TSR claim that it's more of a lottery ticket.we ask for catered ,they give give self-catered.:rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Y.Emre
CAS no ?????? i have no idea what it is :smile: i dont know ıf ı have or not :=)

CAS is confirmation of acceptance of studies no.without which you wouldn't be able to file visa application. if you have been accepted through ucas email the link below to ask for CAS NO. FROM UNIVERSITY of MANCHESTER

[email protected]
Reply 13
are you an international student ?? ıf you are,where are you from ?

ı am not sure but ı thınk that accaptance letter is enough for visa application.
Original post by Y.Emre
are you an international student ?? ıf you are,where are you from ?

ı am not sure but ı thınk that accaptance letter is enough for visa application.

i am from India.i think CAS is assigned to every international student.it's an acceptance letter itself.only to make it easy for the government it's in the form of a number.
Reply 15
Thanks for links.i asked them what i have to do for visa application if there is new things i will let you know :smile:
Original post by Y.Emre
Thanks for links.i asked them what i have to do for visa application if there is new things i will let you know :smile:

sure.thanks
Reply 17
x

Original post by Party55511
x

Original post by Y.Emre
x

Lectures are fine (apart from the 9 o clock ones, grr), and generally the lecturers are good. If you don't like one you'll only have them for a term anyway.

In my halls there were 2 foundation year students, useful for helping with work problems and stuff. I don't think you are absolutely going to have someone on your course in your halls though.

My advice would be to work hard, really hard. Some people I know thought it would be easy, and failed and you don't want to be doing that, trust me.

Try and go over work after lectures so you are 'revising' it straight away, then when you actually need to revise for exams it's a lot easier. The majority of the modules I took had short exams throughout the year before the main exams, revise for these and then it takes the pressure of for the longer exams.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.
Original post by tvdx
Lectures are fine (apart from the 9 o clock ones, grr), and generally the lecturers are good. If you don't like one you'll only have them for a term anyway.

In my halls there were 2 foundation year students, useful for helping with work problems and stuff. I don't think you are absolutely going to have someone on your course in your halls though.

My advice would be to work hard, really hard. Some people I know thought it would be easy, and failed and you don't want to be doing that, trust me.

Try and go over work after lectures so you are 'revising' it straight away, then when you actually need to revise for exams it's a lot easier. The majority of the modules I took had short exams throughout the year before the main exams, revise for these and then it takes the pressure of for the longer exams.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

thank's a lot.needed exactly this.one question though, like other foundation programmes ,do we need to fill a ucas application again for entry to 1st year or do we progress without that.
Reply 19
thank's a lot.needed exactly this.one question though, like other foundation programmes ,do we need to fill a ucas application again for entry to 1st year or do we progress without that.

You progress without the UCAS application, providing you pass the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending