The Student Room Group

Biology or maths?

i need to choose between them... if you study both, which do you find easier? and which do you do better in?
ive done my maths igcse, and have started the add maths course which supposedly is an advantage but i am struggling and finding it hard to keep up... so although having done the gcse early maths is supposedly a good subject choice for me im not so sure i owuld enjoy it/do well...
as for biology, i find it a lot more interesting but my results are lower than maths (high 70's or low 80's) because there is so much more to learn.
i want to study psychology at uni, which is why im doing one of those. but i might do french, simply because i have a better chance of going to a good uni.
anyone got any advice?
biology would be a level, maths cambridge pre u btw
(edited 12 years ago)
Well for psychology at uni, biology seems like a better fit I would imagine.....
biology with no doubt :smile:
Original post by smooshh
i need to choose between them... if you study both, which do you find easier? and which do you do better in?
ive done my maths igcse, and have started the add maths course which supposedly is an advantage but i am struggling and finding it hard to keep up... so although having done the gcse early maths is supposedly a good subject choice for me im not so sure i owuld enjoy it/do well...
as for biology, i find it a lot more interesting but my results are lower than maths (high 70's or low 80's) because there is so much more to learn.
i want to study psychology at uni, which is why im doing one of those.
anyone got any advice?

If u struggle with add maths - then u will struggle with A level maths. Id say biology but there is alot of very dull stuff to cover
Biology is easier than maths, definitely! I know people who got A*s at gcse maths and are getting Ds and Es now.
Plus, bio is probably best for psychology!
Biology is easier than maths!
Reply 6
Won't some universities require a Maths A level to study Psychology.
I don't know. Might be worth looking into.
Reply 7
Do Maths.
Original post by smooshh
i want to study psychology at uni, which is why im doing one of those. but i might do french, simply because i have a better chance of going to a good uni.
anyone got any advice?

Hi, I've done maths physics, english lit, and psychology at a level and i got all my offers for psychology.

I would say universities like applicants having maths and the sciences at a level, so either one is a good choice for psychology. Biology helps with the neuroscience elements of psychology... but you can read up on that stuff outside of school like I have.

Maths is really enjoyable at a level. Most of the questions you get are pretty similar upto question 7, then at A2 questions 7-9 will be pretty challenging and aimed to the best candidates. If your good at maths, i would take it as it has by far been my best a level and its enjoyable to study.

For bio I can only speak for what my friends have said, but there IS alot to memorise and in the last exam for OCR (or maybe AQA) they only asked questions on a very small percentage of the content. It seems like basically a memory test.
(edited 12 years ago)
maths is hard to learn but fairly easy to apply.
biology is easy to learn but very hard to apply ( if your doing AQA then learning how to answer the question specifically is the trick to doing well )

personally i find maths the easiest, but im starting A2 this september so ill update here to say whether maths is still easier than bio, doubt it though as A2 maths is hard
For Psy at uni you had bst pick Biology

Which is a shame cause maths is awsome
Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)
For Psy at uni you had bst pick Biology

Which is a shame cause maths is awsome

Not nesesarily, an A in maths is far better than a B in biology. Plus showing a capacity for maths is good as there is a fair amount of statistics in psychology...
BIOLOGY
That's what I"m doing as I think I'll have a career in Psychology, if not media and I'm really good at that subject and enjoy it. I'm grateful I don't have to rack my brains over maths anymore, even if I got good grades in it. If you've got good arithmetic skill, then go for maths. You should enjoy it then.
If you enjoy biology more and are good at it-good enough to get acceptable grades, then go for Bio.
Our suggestions, your choice.
Reply 13
You do require some knowledge of statistics in psychology, but you will probably come across some of them in a Biology A Level (depending on the exam board). I'd say Biology.
maths.
MATHS - I reckon the easiest A-level in my opinion. :smile:

Very easy to revise for.
In maths, they ask exactly the same questions but with different numbers. I find it the easiest and is my best subject whereas biology is the most boring and the hardest for me. Neither would be an advantage over the other as they both would be valued for psychology.

At the end of the day, choose what you're more interested in because they both need a lot of work its just which one are you wouldn't mind spending time on. Look over the biology specification for the board you will do once to make sure you know what it's about because I found biology interesting at GCSE but really really boring at AS because of the type of stuff that we had to learn.

Which ever one you do choose, the best way to prepare for tem is to do as many past papers as you can.
Maths!! Biology is EXTREMELY boring
Reply 18
the answers have been split half half /:
Original post by smooshh
the answers have been split half half /:

Well maths and biology are both essential for psychology... so either one is a good choice! Just do what you enjoy...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending