Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how much does a medical degree cost?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    how much is it roughly per year, including text books and other essentials

btw i mean under the old tuition fee system (i.e without top up fees)

im trying to work out how much my mates degree is costing
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Lennon)

My friend's doing medicine at UCL, she's in her second year. The degree costs £1,270 per year. Her most expensive textbook was about £200 I think, but she was extremely shocked at that!

Other than tat she had to buy a stethoscope which was £155.

Why don't you just ask him to calculate the figure for you?!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Lennon)

try the medicine sub forum for some better help!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    my 3 pre-clinical yrs cost me about 5,000 a yr, that's without any additional luxuries like drinking, going out lots and equipment. including that prob like 5500 a yr. for the 3 clinical yrs, i expect it to cost around 7500 a yr, at least. so the total i will have spent in all will be around 35k
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justbrowsing)
    My friend's doing medicine at UCL, she's in her second year. The degree costs £1,270 per year. Her most expensive textbook was about £200 I think, but she was extremely shocked at that!

Other than tat she had to buy a stethoscope which was £155.

Why don't you just ask him to calculate the figure for you?!
    155 quid?! I brought a littmann classic and it was only 50!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah my steth was about 50 or 60. Does the job! I will no doubt be treating myself to a fancy one when i qualify, but no need for a good one as a student! And £200 for a textbook? My most so far has been about £40 i think - thought I have spent about £300 in total in a year and a bit.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smileymedic)
    Yeah my steth was about 50 or 60. Does the job! I will no doubt be treating myself to a fancy one when i qualify, but no need for a good one as a student! And £200 for a textbook? My most so far has been about £40 i think - thought I have spent about £300 in total in a year and a bit.
    maybe they bought Grays................although chritst knows why you'd want to lol!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Argh! I can't think of much worse than Grays!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why does Grays have this big rep if it's really bad?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by friendlyneutron)
    Why does Grays have this big rep if it's really bad?
    It's not bad, it's just that it has an insane amount of detail, far more than anyone needs.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Golden Maverick)
    It's not bad, it's just that it has an insane amount of detail, far more than anyone needs.
    very true - its actually an extremely good text book....................just reading it makes your brain die lol
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There probably isn't a better anatomy textbook in the world in terms of detail, but its just ridiculously hard to read! And there is way more detail than you will ever need to know, so not much point frying your brain attempting to learn it! Moore and Agur all the way!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smileymedic)
    There probably isn't a better anatomy textbook in the world in terms of detail, but its just ridiculously hard to read! And there is way more detail than you will ever need to know, so not much point frying your brain attempting to learn it! Moore and Agur all the way!
    or Moore and Dalley
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I dont really want to think about the total cost really. I'm spending far too much. Havnt got a stethie yet but will defiantly be buying the old litmann classic for about £46. No need for anything else.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do the BMA not have some offer on Littmans when you first start med school? Or am I thinking of something else ...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by friendlyneutron)
    Do the BMA not have some offer on Littmans when you first start med school? Or am I thinking of something else ...
    yup - if you sign up witht hem at freshers fair you get it for about 35 squid
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yep indeed. but for some reason I didnt buy one. slightly annoyed now but i might try and pretend to be a fresher next year
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anathema)
    yep indeed. but for some reason I didnt buy one. slightly annoyed now but i might try and pretend to be a fresher next year
    worth a try! They woldn't let me sign up even though I was about to pretend to be a medic co I got outed by the physio standing next to me lol
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anathema)
    *is all giddy at the prospect of being a fresher in less than 9 months time!* :teeth:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackieS)
    or Moore and Dalley
    ^^^ That's my fave. For some reason I bought Martini though!
Updated: January 4, 2006
New on TSR

SQA results day chat

Share your grade expectations for Tuesday 5 August

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.