The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher French 2011-12

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
A few things!

-Hope everyone's speaking went well!
-Any idea when the writing deadline is? (Background topic etc.)
-Does anybody know about ways of spending some time in France over the Summer? I'm hoping to take the briefest of gap years, and I have no idea how to go about it.
-When does SAAS start taking applications for this year?
Original post by Jack3116
-When does SAAS start taking applications for this year?

Next month, I think. I can't help you with any of your other questions :frown:
Original post by christielovesyou
Yep, did it on Friday. It went fantastically, everything went according to plan :biggrin: I had singers performing at mine and I was really worried that I'd have to pull one of them from the programme because she hadn't rehearsed with the accompanist until on the day, but she got it sorted and I didn't have to change the programme after all, which I was rather chuffed about! Everyone said they really enjoyed it, so that's good. I even managed to hold the interest of around 40 Second Years who weren't meant to be there originally, so I'd say I did well :tongue:

I got it filmed, and I think my teacher's wanting to submit the film to the Learning and Teaching Scotland wesbite, so watch this space, I might be Baccalaureate famous :cool:

wow, that sounds amazing! I'd love to see it too! :biggrin:
Hey! How is everyone?
I feel rather guilty having not revised very much for French but I mean, still watching French movies and listening to French music so that kind of counts, right? :P
What is everyone doing in terms of revision? Just past papers? I've done a few, and spent a couple of hours yesterday taking phrases out of mot a mot and writing them on bits of paper to stick around my room! Can't believe there's only 3 week of school left! Lacking a bit of motivation now I think... Just can't wait for uni and summer!
I haven't even started my personal revision yet :s-smilie: I maybe should!

I've had so much coursework and homework and stuff that I've had no time to actually revise out of choice. We've been given a list of 25 French essays to do :redface: Luckily I think we only need to do about 6 over the holiday! But on the upside, I've finished my Baccalaureate paperwork, and I've almost finished my redrafts of my English dissertation and La Haine essay, so that's a lot of stress gone :smile:

I know what you mean about summer and uni though, a few weeks ago I was like "I don't want to leave school yet!" but I went to my post offer day at Edinburgh last week and I'm just desperate to get there now! Shame I have a working summer ahead of me (bar a week in Ireland with the girls)...
But on the upside, I've finished my Baccalaureate paperwork, and I've almost finished my redrafts of my English dissertation and La Haine essay, so that's a lot of stress gone :smile:

I know what you mean about summer and uni though, a few weeks ago I was like "I don't want to leave school yet!" but I went to my post offer day at Edinburgh last week and I'm just desperate to get there now! Shame I have a working summer ahead of me (bar a week in Ireland with the girls)...

Cannot wait to finish English! Doing my final dissertation redraft tomorrow!

I have a working summer ahead of me too, but looking forward to it cause I'll be moving away early and will get to know Glasgow a bit more :biggrin: One week in Paris first though :biggrin:
Reply 106
Seeing as everyone here are keen french students I was hoping you could offer some advice on what to do with my exchange partner when she visits me in June. She lives in Paris and will be visiting me in Aberdeen for 10 days, then I will stay with her for a week. I've already thought up more obvious things to do like visiting Edinburgh, St Andrews and local castles etc but I'm stuck on things that will help improve her language, which is the whole point of her visit.

I'm doing Advanced Higher french this year also and I have accepted a conditional offer at Glasgow, is anyone else planning to go there as I know no one going to Glasgow at all!
Original post by RElliot
I'm doing Advanced Higher french this year also and I have accepted a conditional offer at Glasgow, is anyone else planning to go there as I know no one going to Glasgow at all!

I'm not, but my friend Lauren (the only other person doing AH French at my school) is, to do French and Spanish. She's got a conditional but I'm fairly sure she'll accept and meet it. :smile:

For your exchange partner, why don't you do a few simple things, like go to the cinema? That's bound to improve her English. Go out for a meal and get her to order. Introduce her to your friends and have a big girly night out or something together. I'll put on my thinking cap to see what else I can come up with :smile:
Original post by RElliot
Seeing as everyone here are keen french students I was hoping you could offer some advice on what to do with my exchange partner when she visits me in June. She lives in Paris and will be visiting me in Aberdeen for 10 days, then I will stay with her for a week. I've already thought up more obvious things to do like visiting Edinburgh, St Andrews and local castles etc but I'm stuck on things that will help improve her language, which is the whole point of her visit.

I'm going to Glasgow! :biggrin: Were you at the applicant's day?

On another note, anyone done the 2006 Reading and Translation? Is it just me, or is the paper a b****!?
I also haven't started revising for the final exam yet, due to my outstanding ability to procrastinate. I've always been so motivated in the past but I just can't bring myself to do anything this year.. woops. To make matters worse, our teacher hasn't given us any homework over the holidays, so I've literally done nothing - when I go back to school, I'm hoping it's going to be the kick I need :smile: I am lucky though, in that I don't have much other work to be doing so French is my complete priority.

On the uni front, I'm going to Edinburgh for French and German. Anyone else doing similar? :smile:
Original post by _Stephieee
I also haven't started revising for the final exam yet, due to my outstanding ability to procrastinate. I've always been so motivated in the past but I just can't bring myself to do anything this year.. woops. To make matters worse, our teacher hasn't given us any homework over the holidays, so I've literally done nothing - when I go back to school, I'm hoping it's going to be the kick I need :smile: I am lucky though, in that I don't have much other work to be doing so French is my complete priority.

On the uni front, I'm going to Edinburgh for French and German. Anyone else doing similar? :smile:

Ditto to the procrastination! I'm doing the same course as you, just at Glasgow. Have you thought about your 3rd subject yet?
Reply 111
I'm not, but my friend Lauren (the only other person doing AH French at my school) is, to do French and Spanish. She's got a conditional but I'm fairly sure she'll accept and meet it. :smile:

For your exchange partner, why don't you do a few simple things, like go to the cinema? That's bound to improve her English. Go out for a meal and get her to order. Introduce her to your friends and have a big girly night out or something together. I'll put on my thinking cap to see what else I can come up with :smile:

Thank you, at least I'll know of someone then! I got a conditional to, a B in AH English and I having to spend more time on English than French seeing as I'm not even doing it next year. Where are you wanting to go?

Those are great ideas thank you! I'm really nervous for her as she has never left France before and the first time she is going abroad is on her own. Hopefully she won't get too much of a culture shock!
Reply 112
Original post by J'adoreMaCachette
I'm going to Glasgow! :biggrin: Were you at the applicant's day?

On another note, anyone done the 2006 Reading and Translation? Is it just me, or is the paper a b****!?

Yay :biggrin: no I wasn't as I had a rehearsal that I couldn't get out of, was it any good? I went to Glasgow earlier this week for another look around and loved it even more than the first time, so pleased with my choice!

What paper is that about?
Original post by J'adoreMaCachette
Ditto to the procrastination! I'm doing the same course as you, just at Glasgow. Have you thought about your 3rd subject yet?

I'm just so bad for it. Ah, good choice :smile: Yeah, I'm going to do Psychology as mine since I've always found it really interesting, what about you?
Original post by RElliot
Yay :biggrin: no I wasn't as I had a rehearsal that I couldn't get out of, was it any good? I went to Glasgow earlier this week for another look around and loved it even more than the first time, so pleased with my choice!

What paper is that about?

Fighting against private helicopters in St Tropez :tongue:
I'm just so bad for it. Ah, good choice :smile: Yeah, I'm going to do Psychology as mine since I've always found it really interesting, what about you?

Yeah Psychology does sounds really interesting :smile:. I'm trying to decide between English Language, Russian, History of Art, Italian and Spanish. Hard decisions! I need to speak to a careers advisor during Fresher's Week! (or sometime before I have to pick the 3rd subject at least!)

I have an offer from Edinburgh, but I don't know if I want to stay in the same city though. How did you decide to stay in the same city?
Original post by RElliot
Thank you, at least I'll know of someone then! I got a conditional to, a B in AH English and I having to spend more time on English than French seeing as I'm not even doing it next year. Where are you wanting to go?

I'm going to Edinburgh to do music, got an unconditional :smile: I've firmed it and applied for accommodation and everything already...feels like it's all becoming real! :biggrin:

We spent about 15 minutes in French today trying to find a reading I hadn't done, and we eventually found one, which seemed really easy. About one question from the end, I noticed there wasn't an evaluation question. And the translation was worth 10 marks and was underlined in the passage...My face when the penny dropped and I realised it was a Higher paper :colondollar: To be fair, the teacher should've noticed but she's so oblivious to everything ever that it hardly surprises me :rolleyes:
Reply 118
Struggling a bit with the revision myself, I do a listening/reading and make the suitable decision that that'll do for the day, ahh! I have like 2 weeks off before the exam though which is gooood.

Off topic a bit, but does anyone have a link to the thing that tells you what grades you need for an A, B, C etc, I think its on the SQA website somewhere but can't find it!
Original post by RK111

Off topic a bit, but does anyone have a link to the thing that tells you what grades you need for an A, B, C etc, I think its on the SQA website somewhere but can't find it!

oh yeah! It's really hard to find. Took me ages... I'll have a look for you :smile: It won't have the bands/percentages for this year, but it'll have the last few years which should give you an idea!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending