The Student Room Group

URGENT: Do UCAS references need to be from a tutor?

Hi,

I'm applying for a course through clearing and am yet to apply because I'm getting no response about a reference from my old tutors as it's the summer holidays. I've emailed my chosen university asking whether they will accept a reference from my employer but I expect it will take them several days to reply and places are going fast. I don't know if any of you would have the answer? I've already missed out at one uni because they closed clearing a few days ago, please help!! :frown:
A tutor would be best if you've only recently finished at school/college, unis would expect your reference to be from them, otherwise if you're stuck an employer will have to do as long as they know you well enough.

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/applying/howtoapply/reference
Reply 2
Original post by Potally_Tissed
A tutor would be best if you've only recently finished at school/college, unis would expect your reference to be from them, otherwise if you're stuck an employer will have to do as long as they know you well enough.

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/applying/howtoapply/reference

Yeah I've already read that, I've just finished my first year at uni but am dropping out from that course. I can't ask them for references because I was a pretty bad student tbh, had depression for most of the year. I'm trying to get in contact with tutors from college but no luck :/ It's already been a week, how much longer would you wait until asking your employer?
Original post by Cheshire_Cat
Yeah I've already read that, I've just finished my first year at uni but am dropping out from that course. I can't ask them for references because I was a pretty bad student tbh, had depression for most of the year. I'm trying to get in contact with tutors from college but no luck :/ It's already been a week, how much longer would you wait until asking your employer?

I'd be asking now, it's not exactly a disaster if you get two references because you asked too many people, you just don't use one of them.
Reply 4
Original post by Potally_Tissed
I'd be asking now, it's not exactly a disaster if you get two references because you asked too many people, you just don't use one of them.

Yeah I guess :smile: Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending