The Student Room Group

SLC funding query

If anyone can help, can you advise me on the following:

I want to get funding for my full degree, after already completing 1 year of a different degree.

Then next course I am thinking of doing is 4 years long. Would I be able to get funding for the full 4 years?

Thanks!

Adam
Nope.
The SLC will fund you for 4 years total. I believe when you switch course you have to pay for the first 1/2 years yourself and they pay for the remaining. My bf did this. 2 years on eone degree course, switched and had to pay for his first year of the new one himself.
Reply 2
Understood. Thanks very much!

Adam
Reply 3
Original post by admbeatmaker
If anyone can help, can you advise me on the following:

I want to get funding for my full degree, after already completing 1 year of a different degree.

Then next course I am thinking of doing is 4 years long. Would I be able to get funding for the full 4 years?

Thanks!

Adam

Student Finance entitlement is length of course + 1 year - any years already had. So in your case, 4 + 1 - 1 = 4, so they should fund you. (Although, I'm not 100% on this, hopefully someone else will help explain)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Gemini92
Student Finance entitlement is length of course + 1 year - any years already had. So in your case, 4 + 1 - 1 = 4, so they should fund you. (Although, I'm not 100% on this, hopefully someone else will help explain)

Thanks for the heads up! I'll probably give a call to the SLC before I apply to the course.

Thanks for your help! :biggrin:

Adam
Reply 5
Original post by Gemini92

The formula here is correct. If you've only received funding for 1 year of previous study the whole of your new course should be covered.
His courses would total 5 years though so he wouldnt get funding for 1 year
Reply 7
Original post by girlscientist

The formula I gave above is correct, regardless of course length. For instance, my course is 4 years long, but if I needed funding for a fifth year (like if I had to repeat a year, or I had chosen to start a new course after my first year), then I would get it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8

The formula isn't "4 years total no matter what"

It's length of new course (so 4) + 1 year = 5 - previous study (1 year) so total funding = 4 years

The reason your bf had to fund a year wasn't because he'd reached a total, it was because he'd completed 2 years of previous study, not one. They will allow one year as a "false start".
only saying what ive seen from experience is all. Best thing would be to look on direct.gov
Reply 10
I also explained why what you've seen from experience doesn't apply to the OP. What you told him was wrong. The formula is: length of new course + 1 year - previous study

The OP should get full funding for his new degree with only 1 previous year's study. For instance, people doing medical degrees would be in trouble if they only funded a set amount of years.
Nope.
The SLC will fund you for 4 years total. I believe when you switch course you have to pay for the first 1/2 years yourself and they pay for the remaining. My bf did this. 2 years on eone degree course, switched and had to pay for his first year of the new one himself.

utter garbage advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending