The Student Room Group

Updated tips needed!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Kimiechi
School's making me do it :frown: i don't mind though, cos I would have had a hard time narrowing down my options otherwise.

I just want to be prepared, cos with taking five subjects I'm going to have a heavy workload so I want to make sure I'm ahead :smile:

Hmm, maybe Swiss schools go back early?? You'll have a short summer though :redface:

Lol if you go to the principle and tell him you don't want to do 5 subjects I am sure he will help you out.

Yeah that's true, 5 is hell of a much. Ill be reviewing all this after a month in getting back to school as I am already good in french but I still have to remember all of it :/

Do you have any tips on how to get A*-A I am sure that's what you are aiming.

Since I am starting A levels I rather have knowledge about it first before screwing it up like I did with GCSES...
Reply 21
Original post by d.luffy
Lol if you go to the principle and tell him you don't want to do 5 subjects I am sure he will help you out.

Yeah that's true, 5 is hell of a much. Ill be reviewing all this after a month in getting back to school as I am already good in french but I still have to remember all of it :/

Do you have any tips on how to get A*-A I am sure that's what you are aiming.

Since I am starting A levels I rather have knowledge about it first before screwing it up like I did with GCSES...

The principal is the one who said I have to do 5. It's fine though cos I probably would have anyway, even if they hadn't made me :smile:

Since I haven't started a levels yet I don't know from experience, but I'm just going to spend as much time as possible outside of lesson time (when i'm not doing extracurriculars) going over the classwork. Especially with such as languages, something my GCSE teacher told me that was really good is to use wasted space in your day. Like blu-tack vocab lists to the bathroom mirror so you can revise vocab while brushing your teeth, and if you're going on a walk somewhere (like I have to walk to the bus stop every morning for the bus), listen to the French radio, or record yourself saying stuff in French (this worked really well for my GCSE courswork, where I had to memorise about 12-15 pages of French!). Obviously, this works for other subjects too, I just used French as an example cos that was what my teacher said. You could stick up lists of History dates or English Lit quotes, for example.

What did you do in your GCSE's? You won't have got the results back yet, will you?
Reply 22
The principal is the one who said I have to do 5. It's fine though cos I probably would have anyway, even if they hadn't made me :smile:

Since I haven't started a levels yet I don't know from experience, but I'm just going to spend as much time as possible outside of lesson time (when i'm not doing extracurriculars) going over the classwork. Especially with such as languages, something my GCSE teacher told me that was really good is to use wasted space in your day. Like blu-tack vocab lists to the bathroom mirror so you can revise vocab while brushing your teeth, and if you're going on a walk somewhere (like I have to walk to the bus stop every morning for the bus), listen to the French radio, or record yourself saying stuff in French (this worked really well for my GCSE courswork, where I had to memorise about 12-15 pages of French!). Obviously, this works for other subjects too, I just used French as an example cos that was what my teacher said. You could stick up lists of History dates or English Lit quotes, for example.

What did you do in your GCSE's? You won't have got the results back yet, will you?

The results I am waiting for them yet but last year I did 7 subjects and failed 4 i retook 3 this year, I got french A although I have revised for only 1 hour before the exam thats all, C english I haven't studied at all and C arabic, I am actually being frank here, last year I haven't studied at all but this year I retook physics bio and ICT. Let's see what happens, I am not too concerned about GCSES, if I got those low scores and show them I can obtain A's in A levels I am sure they would be very satisfied.

Yeah I may actually go to school by train since the school is like 3 hours from where I live by train, so I think in those 3 hours ill have to study in it, if my classes are in the morning then I won't study in the morning lol ... ill sleep them off but for the afternoon it will be the same when I go back home.
Reply 23
Original post by d.luffy
The results I am waiting for them yet but last year I did 7 subjects and failed 4 i retook 3 this year, I got french A although I have revised for only 1 hour before the exam thats all, C english I haven't studied at all and C arabic, I am actually being frank here, last year I haven't studied at all but this year I retook physics bio and ICT. Let's see what happens, I am not too concerned about GCSES, if I got those low scores and show them I can obtain A's in A levels I am sure they would be very satisfied.

Yeah I may actually go to school by train since the school is like 3 hours from where I live by train, so I think in those 3 hours ill have to study in it, if my classes are in the morning then I won't study in the morning lol ... ill sleep them off but for the afternoon it will be the same when I go back home.

Yeah, GCSE's don't matter too much really, unless you're applying for something really competitive like medicine. I think there are quite a few people who haven't done that well at GCSEs and then turned it around at A Level when they really start to put their minds to studying :smile:
Your school is 3 hours away? Is it a day school? How are you going to travel that far every day? Mine's only half an hour away.
Reply 24
Yeah, GCSE's don't matter too much really, unless you're applying for something really competitive like medicine. I think there are quite a few people who haven't done that well at GCSEs and then turned it around at A Level when they really start to put their minds to studying :smile:
Your school is 3 hours away? Is it a day school? How are you going to travel that far every day? Mine's only half an hour away.

Basically there was a school like 20 min from where I live, I tried it, but they gave me entry tests and I failed because they are new subjects apart from French... and that British system is not known as IB in Switzerland, so the only school i could get in is the one 3hour away I rather do that then stay here in Egypt because the country itself is awful.
Reply 25
Original post by d.luffy
Basically there was a school like 20 min from where I live, I tried it, but they gave me entry tests and I failed because they are new subjects apart from French... and that British system is not known as IB in Switzerland, so the only school i could get in is the one 3hour away I rather do that then stay here in Egypt because the country itself is awful.

So you're travelling from Egypt to Switzerland every day? I see where you're coming from, but i'm glad i'm not you, having to travel so far!!
Reply 26
So you're travelling from Egypt to Switzerland every day? I see where you're coming from, but i'm glad i'm not you, having to travel so far!!

LOL??

no, from a city to another city in switzerland.... ur kidding right'
Reply 27
Original post by d.luffy
LOL??

no, from a city to another city in switzerland.... ur kidding right'

Complete fail, sorry I meant you have to move from egypt to switzerland, and then travel 3 hours after that :facepalm: Totally wasn't paying attention when I was typing, ended up missing a massive middle bit out lol :colondollar: I do that loads, and then people are always like what are you on about?? From now on I will make sure I read everything I'm writing before randomly pressing send :oops:

Quick Reply

Latest