Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why oh why do people get piercings?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I was in a food store the other day and there was a girl there with short black hair tied at the back to keep it above neck length. On a warm day she was wearing a short ish cut top and a long skirt that almost went to the ground. She had an attractive face but all this was spoilt by a ridiculous ring going through the middle of her nose. I felt like telling her (in a non-offensive way) but it made me think that I really don't understand the mindset of such people. Same goes with tattoes. I can understand that in a way as you might get a tattoo on impulse and then of course there is nothing you can do about it. It's just an entire culture that I cannot grasp.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because they like the way it looks. Not that hard really.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Their individuality, you probably like to express yourself in certain ways, and so do people with tattoos and piercings. So they may despise something you do, but that necessarily isn't a bad thing
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people think it is original or different to get tattoos and piercings like that. The irony is so many people think that is is more unusual to not have any which defeats the point. Plus, if your taste in clothes, make up and everything else changes then so will your taste in your personal appearance, which means they might regret it when they're 40, even 30. In short I agree and I'm glad I realised this before I got a tattoo myself!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    People find different things attractice. Some guys love brunettes, some love short girls. Some guys love pierced and tattooed girls. There is room for everything. It's not your cup of tea and that's fine, let other people enjoy their lifes the way they want it.

and if it matters I love tattooed and pierced people, I find them all beautiful, unless they have like 20 piercings on their face, but a few are nice in my opinion. I also find 'plain' people (as in no tattoos or piercings) attractive. I guess most of piercings are a thing of alternative culture.. not all bad at all.. yet again each to their own, but I'm not surprised such thread has come up here on TSR.
    • 144 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because I suit them and enjoy being able to change how my body looks with one quick trip to my piercer

Plus it's made me happier with how I look and therefore more confident
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This man speaks the truth.

Just approach her and tell her that you think it looks awful. I recently asked some girls I met why they have so many piercings, and they said it's because guys love them. I told that that this really isn't the case, but they wouldn't listen. If she is willing to listen to your opinion, she might take your advice and get rid of the piercings.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why did you make this thread?!?

Because you wanted to, felt the need to...

You wanted to voice your opinion, just like people want to exploit their individualism via tattoos/piercings/weird haircuts+hair dye......
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xJessx)
    they might regret it when they're 40, even 30. In short I agree and I'm glad I realised this before I got a tattoo myself!
    I hate this. Tattoos are a form of art, yes people get lots of **** tattoos but they should regret them as soon as they walk out of the studio. People always say 'what about when your old'. Does it really matter what you look like at 40-50? I want long grey hair and to look like a crazy hippy. Your ****ing 40. Who cares. I cant wait to get a whole shirt of tattoos from world class artists.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What's it got to do with you what she does with her body?

It's HER body, HER choice.

And I have my piercings because I like them and think they look attractive.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because we're cool and edgy, duh.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because we're allowed to do what we want with our own bodys?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What i want to know is why some girls have rings on their vajayjay area?

DOESN'T IT HURT? >_> ¬_¬ :eek:
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because they like them?

I pierce ears everyday, did like 5 today, and that's the overwhelming consensus..
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why not? Who are you or any of us to judge someone else's decisions. If you stop yourself from doing the things you want to do because your afraid of how you'll feel/look in the future then you'll live a very boring life.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xJessx)
    A lot of people think it is original or different to get tattoos and piercings like that. The irony is so many people think that is is more unusual to not have any which defeats the point. Plus, if your taste in clothes, make up and everything else changes then so will your taste in your personal appearance, which means they might regret it when they're 40, even 30. In short I agree and I'm glad I realised this before I got a tattoo myself!
    What a ridiculous statement. What you're basically saying is that everybody who has a tattoo or a piercing is just trying to be different and effectively rebel, but actually fails miserably. Do you not think perhaps that a person's love of art or deep personal meaning come into it at all?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have several tattoos, some very visible, fair enough that's your opinion but if she thought she looked nice thats her opinion.

Besides, in todays society the amount of people that HAVE tattoos in our generation 18-25 (and above) is probably around the same as those that dont, im always seeing people with ink on their shoulders, wrist, arm etc..

so by the time people hit 40 or 50 they will be common-place, and probably wont look as stupid as you think.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Small tattoos or a few piercings is fine but a lyric or some wings plastered across a girls back looks awful, and whenever people show you their tattoos you have to pretend you like them.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott129)
    What a ridiculous statement. What you're basically saying is that everybody who has a tattoo or a piercing is just trying to be different and effectively rebel, but actually fails miserably. Do you not think perhaps that a person's love of art or deep personal meaning come into it at all?
    For some people, yes and if those people don't regret it then fair enough. But for some people it is for the wrong reasons and they will. That's why I said MIGHT regret it. I know not everyone will but I would have so I'm speaking for myself when I say I'm glad I didn't get one.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 1, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.