Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why oh why do people get piercings?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Why are there so may body mod hate threads?! Get over it you ridiculous trolls.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    IDK. I don't like girls with piercings especially lip piercings or rings in their nose or something. Can't see the point in tattoos. Like "oh you drew a butterfly on you arse, how nice..."
    Generally girls who take a lot of drugs seem to get the most piercings/tattoos. I suppose it's part of saying "**** society I'm an outsider. Yeah man!"
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As someone with 12 piercings
    I think that it's all the persons personal choice. I've always loved piercings and tattoos and i was brought up around people who have lots of both.

It's like everything else in this world, some people like them, some people don't
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because... stop me if this gets too much for you... some people have different tastes to you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have my septum (the middle of my nose) pierced, my nostril, the underneath webbing of my tongue, 3 on each lobe and one cartiledge piercings, I also have lyrics tattooed on my hip and a large tattoo on my foot covering the entire top of my foot un to two inches up my ankle.

I have all these things because I find them attractive, and I enjoy how they make me look. For those who comment 'what about when your 80?' If, when I'm 80, some ink is all I have to worry about, I will be a pretty happy woman!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    People get tattoos and piercing to express their individuality and I know that sounds clique but everyone has the free will to express themselves, I think our body is a canvas that should be played with (not the dirty way) and learnt about. The same goes for tattoos but some people use tattoos to mark a segment in their life.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Like others have said it comes down to personal choice. I've got a small stud in my nose but not planning on getting any more piercings. I don't think lots of piercings would suit me but it looks good on some people. I've seen people who've overdone it a bit but then again its their choice if they want to go for that look.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingKenny)
    I was in a food store the other day and there was a girl there with short black hair tied at the back to keep it above neck length. On a warm day she was wearing a short ish cut top and a long skirt that almost went to the ground. She had an attractive face but all this was spoilt by a ridiculous ring going through the middle of her nose. I felt like telling her (in a non-offensive way) but it made me think that I really don't understand the mindset of such people. Same goes with tattoes. I can understand that in a way as you might get a tattoo on impulse and then of course there is nothing you can do about it. It's just an entire culture that I cannot grasp.
    Who the hell do you think you are? You do not just go up to strangers and give them "a piece of your mind" on their appearance. I'm so glad you didn't actually say anything to her. That's so disrespectful, and downright rude. Which is far more unattractive than someone with a ring through their nose :rolleyes:

And to answer the main question OP - people get piercings because they like them, deal with it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Because we like them and feel more attractive/confident with them? Piercings are very much a personal choice.

Let me ask you - how many of you would turn your nose up at someone with pierced ears? No, you wouldn't, because society has deemed it a relative 'norm'. But the second someone gets something else done there's people there telling them that body mods are 'fake' and are just them trying to look 'cool'. No, no it's not (for most people) and their life choices are none of your business.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    People like you really irk me. Who are you to comment on how somebody else looks!? I have my nose pierced and two tattoos and I got them done for myself. The tattoos I have are meaningful to me and easily covered, it's doubtful I will have anymore but if I do it will be for myself.

Let people do what they want, if they're not hurting anybody then why do you care?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingKenny)
    I was in a food store the other day and there was a girl there with short black hair tied at the back to keep it above neck length. On a warm day she was wearing a short ish cut top and a long skirt that almost went to the ground. She had an attractive face but all this was spoilt by a ridiculous ring going through the middle of her nose. I felt like telling her (in a non-offensive way) but it made me think that I really don't understand the mindset of such people. Same goes with tattoes. I can understand that in a way as you might get a tattoo on impulse and then of course there is nothing you can do about it. It's just an entire culture that I cannot grasp.
    i guess it appeals to some people ...
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because it's a way of self expression, just like the clothes you wear or your hairstyle. It can have deeper meanings to people as well, but usually it's just because in their eyes it looks good. Personally I like piercings and tattoos if they are tasteful, well done and relatively discreet - but that isn't to say there's anything wrong with those that aren't...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 1, 2012
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.