The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Dokta
Is it possible to continue to rent a flat/house off campus throughout the summer, as in live there like a "normal" person without having to go home during the time i'm not at uni?

Yes, and you can usually negotiate a cheap rate with your land(lord/lady) during holidays as there is minimal demand!

Alternaively you might be able to stay in uni halls during holidays - always worth asking :-)
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Reply 101
I'dve thought that the uni halls would be closed during summer for the cleaners to make sure all the rooms are spotless for the new freshers?

Another point, are the RAs actually employees of the Uni, or just students in their 2nd/3rd/4th year of study? Would prolly save some money if i could get myself as an RA for my subsequent years heh and permanent Fern Parties :biggrin:
Often your house for second year will be rented for a whole year so I daresay you'll be able to find one in the area that starts at the end of June.
Reply 103
Dokta
I'dve thought that the uni halls would be closed during summer for the cleaners to make sure all the rooms are spotless for the new freshers?

Another point, are the RAs actually employees of the Uni, or just students in their 2nd/3rd/4th year of study? Would prolly save some money if i could get myself as an RA for my subsequent years heh and permanent Fern Parties :biggrin:

AFAIK, the residences tend to be open for most (if not all) of the year - during vacation some rooms are used for conference accommodation, and some students choose to stay during the holidays anyhow.
Reply 104
If they're open right throughout the year, why is there such a fuss about getting the accommodation sorted early september? Why can't those who have their results pick where they want to stay earlier... that way they'll be where they want and possibly with who they want :confused:
You have accept that there is very little numbers with actual results at this moment and its alot easier for the uni to do it altogether at the end of august.
Plus you dont technically pick were you want to be, they take in account, your course, your current location and other factors which determine which halls you will be in as to provide you with people that you can get to know through a common bond such as same course etc...
Thats what i have thought through my wanting to know **** last year when i was going.
Dokta

Yeah, RA's are current students in there 2nd/3rd/4th year of study, though they are employed by the company that owns the student accomodation (forgot what they are called)!
Basically they get free accomodation from doing it though ur on duty at least one night a week & have other duties! Had an RA in my flat this year, got on really well wiv her!
Reply 107
Is it easy to become an RA? Or are only the most academically advanced (thats the say the best students) allowed to take on this responsibility?
You apply to be an RA, any herts student can apply as long as they aint a fresher as far as im aware! They do it near the end of the year! This years RA have already been chosen!
Reply 109
I wasn't thinking about for this year :p: But could i apply at the end of my fresher year to be an RA for 07/08? :smile:
Nope not really.
crazycraggy
Nope not really.

So how can 2nd years be RAs?
Reply 112
It would seem they can't, if ofcourse craig is right... could do with imput from Anne, Kriz or Dimexi *nod*
Ummm all i have to comment is that you will probs have to go in an ask about being an RA as they dont put it up round halls asking you if you want to be unlike they did with Refreshers(which are the people who will be around to help you settle in, usually in purple t-shirts).
I dont know alot but i would assume you would need to be already in the ring of helping the accomadation office out in some way.
Some RA's are well nice some are complete *****ing w*nkers.

Sorry the nope not really was guided towards the comment of Or are only the most academically advanced (thats the say the best students) allowed to take on this responsibility?
Sorry i didnt make this clearler or actually atall quoted :frown: :redface:
Reply 114
Ahh i understand the not really comment now :smile: About having to go and ask specifically to be an RA i guessed that would be the case otherwise there would be a lot of people trying to abuse it get get themselves free accommodation every year.
There was a post on Study Net about applying to be an RA, thought about it myself but in the end i couldnt be bothered with all the hassle that goes with the job!

Basically to become an RA you have to apply though, you can apply at the end of your 1st year! Then from those who apply several are selected for each campus then they run a training course over the summer! I think the RAs for this year start a week or 2 before the international freshers arrive!
Plus I wanna get a house!
Reply 117
Getting to that time soon isn't it?
Anyhoo, hope you guys have a rough idea of who you are living with next year; the lettings lists are out on the 8th of January, get them quick and start looking :smile:
For more info, look at the first post in this thread
dimexi
Getting to that time soon isn't it?
Anyhoo, hope you guys have a rough idea of who you are living with next year; the lettings lists are out on the 8th of January, get them quick and start looking :smile:
For more info, look at the first post in this thread

Me and some lot from Fern have put our deposit down for a beautiful little number down Bishops Rise. Massive living room, mwah! Thanks for bumping though.
Reply 119
DanGrover
Me and some lot from Fern have put our deposit down for a beautiful little number down Bishops Rise. Massive living room, mwah! Thanks for bumping though.

Great stuff mate :smile:, the quicker the better :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending