The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rachael22
hi justin

unfortunalty i got unsuccessful from my applications, i only applied for 2 unis so that was probably a mistake!

im reapplying next year an wondered what you did differently from the 1st year you applied to this year where you have got offers??

thanks, an congrats on getting a place :smile:

Thanks Rachael! Sorry to hear you didn't get a place this year but don't give up! I applied for the course when I was still doing my A Levels like a lot of people. I had four out of five interviews. I applied to UWE, SHU, LJMU, Staffordshire and Coventry. All gave me an interview but SHU. The feedback I got was that I didn't have enough experience. Then I had experience in St John Ambulance since I was six years old and taking on various roles, my health and social care course placement which was as an Occupational Therapy Assistant at a local school for children with special needs. I had also done some work experience with SWAST. But this obviously wasn't good enough. When I got my last rejection I was gutted. But I took the feedback on board and the day after my last rejection I got on NHS jobs and found applied for every Nursing Auxiliary Job going.

I had a few interviews with no results... But then I got an e-mail inviting me to an interview for a position I totally forgot that I applied to. I went to the interview and honestly it was the worst interview I have ever done, I really felt like I have mucked it up big time. But four hours later I got the phone call to say I had the job on the Emergency Assessment Unit as a Nursing Auxiliary! So I applied to University again with the experience I had gained from only a short time working in EAU. I have learn't a lot from EAU including patient care, communication, team work, working autonomously, dealing with conflict, working in an emergency as well as practical skills such as taking blood, inserting cannulas, taking ECGs, blood pressure, SpO2 etc.

(Personal view now..) The Paramedic courses are not all about the grades like other higher education courses. The course is about your life experience. They don't care (well they do, but not in the same way) if you hae 5 A*s at A Level. They care that you can go out on placement at travel that twenty minutes from the scene to hospital and be able to talk and care for your patient. They care that you can work in a team, be a good communicator.

I can honestly say I am glad that I didn't go to university when I first applied because I think the skills I have learn't on EAU and in the hospital as an NA will make a better Paramedic. I have learn't things a university or a textbook cannot teach you and I really believe is going to make me a better Paramedic.

So don't give up, get back on your horse and get ready for September 2013 intake, because if you really want it, your going to be there!

Reply 2981
Original post by xxstephxx
has anybody heard anything from staffs? i havent heard since I sent my application, are they still doing interviews? Reeeeeeally can't wait to hear from Swansea, hoping it will be soon :smile:

Hi, I'm not certain but at least 10 of us have places at Staffs so I'm assuming they've finished interviewing and given all the places out as there is a waiting/reserve list for them...(that's if you meant to type staffs and not Swansea lol) x
Original post by ~Justin~
Thanks Rachael! Sorry to hear you didn't get a place this year but don't give up! I applied for the course when I was still doing my A Levels like a lot of people. I had four out of five interviews. I applied to UWE, SHU, LJMU, Staffordshire and Coventry. All gave me an interview but SHU. The feedback I got was that I didn't have enough experience. Then I had experience in St John Ambulance since I was six years old and taking on various roles, my health and social care course placement which was as an Occupational Therapy Assistant at a local school for children with special needs. I had also done some work experience with SWAST. But this obviously wasn't good enough. When I got my last rejection I was gutted. But I took the feedback on board and the day after my last rejection I got on NHS jobs and found applied for every Nursing Auxiliary Job going.

I had a few interviews with no results... But then I got an e-mail inviting me to an interview for a position I totally forgot that I applied to. I went to the interview and honestly it was the worst interview I have ever done, I really felt like I have mucked it up big time. But four hours later I got the phone call to say I had the job on the Emergency Assessment Unit as a Nursing Auxiliary! So I applied to University again with the experience I had gained from only a short time working in EAU. I have learn't a lot from EAU including patient care, communication, team work, working autonomously, dealing with conflict, working in an emergency as well as practical skills such as taking blood, inserting cannulas, taking ECGs, blood pressure, SpO2 etc.

(Personal view now..) The Paramedic courses are not all about the grades like other higher education courses. The course is about your life experience. They don't care (well they do, but not in the same way) if you hae 5 A*s at A Level. They care that you can go out on placement at travel that twenty minutes from the scene to hospital and be able to talk and care for your patient. They care that you can work in a team, be a good communicator.

I can honestly say I am glad that I didn't go to university when I first applied because I think the skills I have learn't on EAU and in the hospital as an NA will make a better Paramedic. I have learn't things a university or a textbook cannot teach you and I really believe is going to make me a better Paramedic.

So don't give up, get back on your horse and get ready for September 2013 intake, because if you really want it, your going to be there!

thanks justin!

iv checked NHS, nothing on there as of yet but i will keep checking :smile:
good luck with your course, im sure you will be fine with all that experiece though!!
Original post by rachael22
thanks justin!

iv checked NHS, nothing on there as of yet but i will keep checking :smile:
good luck with your course, im sure you will be fine with all that experiece though!!

Why not consider Home Care or working in a Care Home? That's what I did and it's great experience.
Original post by Happy_Holidays
Why not consider Home Care or working in a Care Home? That's what I did and it's great experience.

Indeed! Just as good! I chose NHS personally just because I could get there with public transport as it was a straight route but as Happy Holidays says both home care and nursing homes are just as good!

Ye I will defo look into care homes, even part time will be better than nothing! Thanks for the advice guys :smile:
Just got this from BCU via e-mail...

20 April 2012

Dear applicant

Dip HE Paramedic Science

Thank you for your application for a place on the above course.

We have now achieved conditional approval for this course pending a few minor changes requested by the HPC. These changes have now been made and we are now awaiting ratification of approval which we anticipate will be received within the next few weeks. Unfortunately this means we are unable to consider applications until after this date but would like to confirm your application is being kept on file and will be included in the short listing process which we hope to carry out towards the end of April through to May.

It would be beneficial if you have not already done so, to submit a reference to support your application form. Once the approval process is complete we aim to post this information on the University website

This will be a new provision for the University; however, we anticipate a commencement date in October 2012 (subject to HPC approval). We aim to interview for this course in June/July 2012.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for your interest in this exciting new programme you will be contacted following shortlisting of applications. In the meantime should your contact details change or you wish to submit further information to support your application please email [email protected] with this new information.

Yours sincerely

Admissions Officer

Faculty of Health
Original post by Beki101
Hi, I'm not certain but at least 10 of us have places at Staffs so I'm assuming they've finished interviewing and given all the places out as there is a waiting/reserve list for them...(that's if you meant to type staffs and not Swansea lol) x

yeah i did mean staffs. i havent heard a thing since i applied, so i guess they'll reject me soon then if they've already done interviews. thanks anyway though!
Reply 2988
Has anybody heard from UCLan yet?? Even if it's an unsuccesful! So frustrating waiting like this! Pfft! LOL.
Original post by graemeb
Has anybody heard from UCLan yet?? Even if it's an unsuccesful! So frustrating waiting like this! Pfft! LOL.

yeah i got an unsuccesful. so its probably a good thing you haven't heard yet!

Sorry to hear that! :frown: Do you mind me asking when you heard?
Original post by Briony09110
Sorry to hear that! :frown: Do you mind me asking when you heard?

thanks, track updated on the 11th april. good luck though hope you hear soon!

Agreed! I don't know what you think but in my experience this job is 90% talking to/caring for patients and 10% treatment. So I think care work is the most appropriate experience as it gives you the patient skills that can't really be taught, but are most essential.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2993

awww, sorry to hear that :frown:
Reply 2994
Hi all,
Betwwen UCLan and Edgehill Universities, does anyone know which is the best to learn at?
Original post by Ruth01
Haha can't have that! I've just got one uni to hear back from, then I'll make a decision.... But Brighton is looking likely! I'll join the group as soon as I decide :smile:

Woo hoo!! well done ruth :smile: i remember chatting to you on here a couple of weeks ago. come join us whenever. And most of us have been doing a bit of background research so even if you just wanna ask us questions im sure we can help. kitty (msshoppingbags) is already at brighton so she's a big help!
Hopefully we'll be talking to you soooon :smile: x
Original post by ~Justin~

Well done for getting a place mate, you obviously stuck at it and it paid off, very motivating for people like Rachel and me!

You're not the only one Rachel, I applied for this year and didn't get in :frown: Well, I'm on the waiting list for St.Georges and I know BCU haven't made their decisions, but the other places I applied for I was rejected after my interviews.

I am currently doing a Health and social care course at college and this is my 3rd year in the BRC as an event first aider. I've done 200 hours of placement altogether in College, including a mental health unit, a hospital, an elderly care home, etc. And this hasn't been enough. So from what I've read on here from what others have done, I've gone and got myself a job in care-specifically caring for those with acquired brain injury, and intend to re-apply for 2013 entry! So I totally agree with Justin, don't give up!!
Please don't take this the wrong way but have you thought that maybe the rejections were down to interview skills rather than medical/ care experience? This was my third year of applying and looking back at some of my answers in my first year interviews I cringe!! And back then i couldnt understand why they wouldnt accept me with all my experience (care homes, hca, registered midwife)
I'm very jealous of people that interview well and can stay relaxed without babbling. In my Oxford brookes interview it felt like the whole room went black and someone put a spotlight over my head, it was awful & yet I did really well in the group interview.
Please don't think I am saying you're unsuccessful because of interview skills but if you have ample amounts of care/ medical experience maybe another look at your interview answers etc may be of benefit. :wink: :wink:
Reply 2998
Original post by ChannyBee
Please don't take this the wrong way but have you thought that maybe the rejections were down to interview skills rather than medical/ care experience? This was my third year of applying and looking back at some of my answers in my first year interviews I cringe!! And back then i couldnt understand why they wouldnt accept me with all my experience (care homes, hca, registered midwife)
I'm very jealous of people that interview well and can stay relaxed without babbling. In my Oxford brookes interview it felt like the whole room went black and someone put a spotlight over my head, it was awful & yet I did really well in the group interview.
Please don't think I am saying you're unsuccessful because of interview skills but if you have ample amounts of care/ medical experience maybe another look at your interview answers etc may be of benefit. :wink: :wink:

I can actually relate to this! If your getting the interviews then you have enough experience! It's just about nailing that interview!
Reply 2999
Original post by ChannyBee

This is really good advice, I applied last year and didn't get in as well, I had mostly the same experience as this year and still got to interview, it was probably my interview technique that let me down.

Spend the next year getting even more experience and practise interviewing!

Latest