The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lazaroo
Good luck to you! Your experience sounds great. Obv lack of GCSE's and A levels is an issue but the Access course will help you loads. Have you looked at entry requirements for some of the unis you want to apply to? Sounds like you're doing all the right things though :smile:

This was sent from TSR's iPhone app, as I couldn't be arsed to turn on the laptop.

Yes i have, they say an access course can be accepted as lon as you have GCSE english and maths or equivilent. We are doing a key skills in english and maths so hopefully that will suffice.
I have the opportunity to become a rescue medic for the motor racing aswell which is ace.
Original post by Danielson
Yes i have, they say an access course can be accepted as lon as you have GCSE english and maths or equivilent. We are doing a key skills in english and maths so hopefully that will suffice.
I have the opportunity to become a rescue medic for the motor racing aswell which is ace.

Brilliant, sounds like you're heading it exactly the right direction then :smile:. Event work is really good for experience. I used to do stuff like motorcross, rugby and polo events a few years ago when I was in the private ambulance services and there were so many patients to treat. Really good trauma experience.

This was sent from TSR's iPhone app, as I couldn't be arsed to turn on the laptop.
Original post by Lazaroo
Brilliant, sounds like you're heading it exactly the right direction then :smile:. Event work is really good for experience. I used to do stuff like motorcross, rugby and polo events a few years ago when I was in the private ambulance services and there were so many patients to treat. Really good trauma experience.

I really love the event work, great fun. i have seen all sorts of things and i havent been there long.
thanks for the words of encouragement, its hard to be optimistic knowing how many people apply for these courses
Original post by Danielson
I really love the event work, great fun. i have seen all sorts of things and i havent been there long.
thanks for the words of encouragement, its hard to be optimistic knowing how many people apply for these courses

I know how you feel. I applied to UWE in 2010 and was lucky enough to get a place. I've just finished the course and awaiting some more results and then I can register with the HPC. It's a long road but it's well worth it. Don't give up! :smile:

Recently picked up my results and i got DDM in my BTEC :smile:)) really over the moon because now I can apply again knowing I've satisfied the requirements! I'm one of the ones who got 7th on the St.georges waiting list but no offers from elsewhere. So I'm getting ready to re-write the personal statement after another year where I've got the right grades, and also been working as a support worker for people with acquired brain injury-interesting stuff. So I'm hoping this time I'll get in!! Just deciding on where to apply, obviously St. Georges is my main choice again, very keen to be in London. I'm guessing this thread will need changing soon too? Weird it was a whole year ago we were alll applying and writing on here!
Cheers
Original post by mark_richards
Has anybody on the St Georges waiting list heard anything from them?

Mark

I have today totally out of the blue, saying they're going to email me a few documents to complete and then let me know of any availability by 13th. Hmmm?
Reply 3266
Original post by bluelightz
I have today totally out of the blue, saying they're going to email me a few documents to complete and then let me know of any availability by 13th. Hmmm?

Well there's only 4 of us in the St Georges facebook group for Sept 2012 start so maybe lots of those with offers are wanting to go else where!?

Group link: http://www.facebook.com/groups/101758596622531/

Good luck!
or maybe they dont use TSR lol
Reply 3268
Original post by hhh123
That's plenty of experience! I have:

1 weeks experience in a Minor Injuries Unit
An ongoing placement on an elderly patient ward
and I am a member with St John. Ambulance

Admission tutors don't look for loads of care experience, just life experience :smile: :smile:

hey, i too am hoping to become a paramedic, but by life experience can you be more specific.??

Did they phone or email you? Perhaps it's because you got your results today? (Congrats on those by the way! :borat:).

I am supposedly in 3rd place and haven't heard a dickie bird! :frown:

What sort of documents where they?

Hope you are trying to enjoy your summer!

Mark
Thankyou :smile:
Not really sure? They were medical reports, all a bit confusing.
Thankyou :smile:
Not really sure? They were medical reports, all a bit confusing.

It sounds to me like they are thinking about you a bit more now you have such good results - I think you have sneakily jumped up the list a bit. :wink:

Fingers crossed for you (so long as there is another space after you of course! :colone: )
Original post by mark_richards
It sounds to me like they are thinking about you a bit more now you have such good results - I think you have sneakily jumped up the list a bit. :wink:

Fingers crossed for you (so long as there is another space after you of course! :colone: )

Unsure of that because they contacted me before i had told them my results. Its been such a waiting game, and to be let down at the end sucks (which is probably what'll happen) but I'm going to reapply for next year if so :smile:
Unsure of that because they contacted me before i had told them my results. Its been such a waiting game, and to be let down at the end sucks (which is probably what'll happen) but I'm going to reapply for next year if so :smile:

Oh - well that completely wipes out my theory! :colondollar:

I know, the wait has been really tough - I want to be prepared 'just in case' but I don't want to think about it too much because that will make it worse if/when I don't get in. We're in the last month now - not much longer!

Yeah i expect I will re-apply next year - although not sure I can bring myself to go through it all again just yet!! :eek:

Can you let me know if you hear any more please?

Thanks
Hi all, long time no speak, hope you're all well. I've confirmed herts and accommodation etc...had my jabs today! Anybody got the link to the TSR herts group? Who else is going?

I emailed them last night and have today had a call about the forms etc... phew, I haven't been forgotten!
Goodluck!
Reply 3277
Original post by flower17
hey, i too am hoping to become a paramedic, but by life experience can you be more specific.??

Life experience can usually involve ANYTHING. It basically just shows you aren't a lazy ass! Also having life experience DOES develop skills. It could be anything from being a brownie/rainbow/scout leader etc.. to going travelling.. being on a school council etc. On my personal statement I wrote about how I am a keen skiier, and have skiied the world cup run in Switzerland. I got asked about this in most of my interviews. I also wrote about me being a runner, and how I am part of a group etc.. also was liked. So anything really :smile:
Reply 3278
[QUOTE="bananacake14;34284789"]I applied last year, got 4 interviews, and on one reserve list but that was it :frown:
Going to try again this year! :biggrin:[/QUOTE
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3279
Original post by hhh123
Life experience can usually involve ANYTHING. It basically just shows you aren't a lazy ass! Also having life experience DOES develop skills. It could be anything from being a brownie/rainbow/scout leader etc.. to going travelling.. being on a school council etc. On my personal statement I wrote about how I am a keen skiier, and have skiied the world cup run in Switzerland. I got asked about this in most of my interviews. I also wrote about me being a runner, and how I am part of a group etc.. also was liked. So anything really :smile:

oh WOW thats great Thanks :biggrin:

Latest