The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3340
Original post by jessclairex
Mine is on the 5th too :smile: does any one know what the dexterity test involves?

Who knows! Never done one before! Where you coming from? I'm coming from Nottingham way so it's going to be an early start I thinks!
Original post by manslow1
Yes, I have :smile:. Got interviews everywhere I applied to and had an offer from Worcester and Swansea on my Access course Qualifications. I know a lot of people on my course now who have also been accped on an Access Qualification, so it's worth doing if you don't want to do the A Level route. Just make sure it's siency based.

Mike.

Brilliant, i have gotten on an access to nursing course, hope to get into ljmu, im doing an AQFA in anatomy and physiology aswell jus to help me be a better student/paramedic. Really excited about starting

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3342
i still havent heard anything either. ive emailed them too and all i got back was sorry for the delay, everyone will be informed in the next two weeks :s
Reply 3343
Original post by zombie1
i still havent heard anything either. ive emailed them too and all i got back was sorry for the delay, everyone will be informed in the next two weeks :s

I phoned on Friday and was told the man who deals with it all is away til the 10th. I have to wait until he's back to get more information, but they are still working their way through the applications.

So I assume first round of interviews 5th and hopefully another batch afterwards.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3344
All I know is that there are currently two interview days this week, the 4th and 5th!
Reply 3345
Original post by Kayvee
I phoned on Friday and was told the man who deals with it all is away til the 10th. I have to wait until he's back to get more information, but they are still working their way through the applications.

So I assume first round of interviews 5th and hopefully another batch afterwards.

fingers crossed then! its abit mean of them if they dont let us know even if we didnt make it. there not leaving us hardly any time at all if they dont interview us till after the 10th and were expected to start the next month :s-smilie:
Reply 3346
Phone Message from BCU today, apparently I was supposed to turn up for an interview today only I knew nothing about it. Phoned them back and they said this had happened alot and they are rescheduling the interviews. Turned it down as I am going to Oxford Brookes.
Reply 3347
Original post by zombie1
fingers crossed then! its abit mean of them if they dont let us know even if we didnt make it. there not leaving us hardly any time at all if they dont interview us till after the 10th and were expected to start the next month :s-smilie:

BCU are now starting in November. So a bit more time !!

I think one of the main problems with BCU is going to be with getting jobs at the end as everywhere recruits for people to start in September when the Sept start courses finish. This will now finish to late for that making it difficult to get a job at the end.
Reply 3349
well ive still heard nothing :s-smilie: its better that theyre starting in november for everyone to get organised etc but its not good about not getting a job at the end of it :s its so frustrating ive emailed and phoned and still got no news. id rather know either way now.
Reply 3350
BCU also rang me today asking why I hadn't attended..... although I did let them know.
Original post by Happy_Holidays
I think one of the main problems with BCU is going to be with getting jobs at the end as everywhere recruits for people to start in September when the Sept start courses finish. This will now finish to late for that making it difficult to get a job at the end.

In all fairness though, we have found that the recruitment for paramedics has been quite staggered. GWAS were one of the first, which is where I wanted and have subsequently started with, and other trusts have only more recently advertised and interviewed, with other trusts following on. Obviously this could all change in 2/3 years (sorry not sure of the length if BCU's course) though.

This was sent from TSR's iPhone app, as I couldn't be arsed to turn on the laptop.
Reply 3352
Are you sure that BCU are with GWAS because private company ERS are advertising for it:

http://www.ersgroup.co.uk/training/index.php?name=Higher_Education_Courses&page_id=53
Original post by Clross
Are you sure that BCU are with GWAS because private company ERS are advertising for it:

http://www.ersgroup.co.uk/training/index.php?name=Higher_Education_Courses&page_id=53

No I didn't say they were. Birmingham is nowhere near the GWAS area :smile:. I was just saying that the various trusts seem to have advertised for qualified paramedics on a more staggered basis, with GWAS being one of the first back in April. Other trusts such as SWAST, Wales and SCAS have been more recent, with interviews still taking place for some trusts.

This was sent from TSR's iPhone app, as I couldn't be arsed to turn on the laptop.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3354
Hey everyone,
Had my interview yest, wasn't the greatest as i froze. how was everyones interviews today?
Did many people turn up to it today?
X

Reply 3355
Original post by hhh123
BCU also rang me today asking why I hadn't attended..... although I did let them know.

Yeah they rang me a few days ago to remind me of the interview, I told them I've already said I'm not attending. Then the same man rang me yesterday asking why I hadn't attended...
Reply 3356
Original post by Clross

Wait, so from reading that it suggests that BCU students undertake their placements with this private company, oppose to the Ambulance Service.. Where is the experience to be a competent paramedic going to come from then..? Or have I read into it wrong?
Original post by Alex27
Wait, so from reading that it suggests that BCU students undertake their placements with this private company, oppose to the Ambulance Service.. Where is the experience to be a competent paramedic going to come from then..? Or have I read into it wrong?

No it's advertising a partnership with the university for those that want to work for ERS and do their training. You still get the experience to be a competent paramedic as ERS have NHS ambulance contracts throughout the country for A&E, meaning that they do accident and emergency work for them the same as the NHS paramedics and ECAs. I've been seeing em about for years. I worked privately before, but was made redundant twice in 2 years due to the companies going into administration. I personally wouldn't train privately for this reason. I don't know the full details of it as obv I'm not looking for a student place, but it has to be worth a further look for anyone who's thinking about doing their training.

Original post by Lazaroo
No it's advertising a partnership with the university for those that want to work for ERS and do their training. You still get the experience to be a competent paramedic as ERS have NHS ambulance contracts throughout the country for A&E, meaning that they do accident and emergency work for them the same as the NHS paramedics and ECAs. I've been seeing em about for years. I worked privately before, but was made redundant twice in 2 years due to the companies going into administration. I personally wouldn't train privately for this reason. I don't know the full details of it as obv I'm not looking for a student place, but it has to be worth a further look for anyone who's thinking about doing their training.

Got to say the same as you there Laz. Training with privates can be very dodgy as my friend found out when one pulled out of assisting her training once she'd already started. Plus if they lose a contract or the NHS decided they don't want as many vehicles out suddenly there is a lot of staff without work/laid off.
Reply 3359
i wish they'd ring me!

Latest