The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Vorenus
Same here!
Right now, I can`t imagine how to shoulder the living costs. :s-smilie:

Where are you applying? The living costs are really worrying! I don't know how I'm going to manage that, but I can't think about that at the moment, got to actually get in first!
Reply 81
Original post by Ruth01
Where are you applying? The living costs are really worrying! I don't know how I'm going to manage that, but I can't think about that at the moment, got to actually get in first!

Well, I haven`t really applied, yet. It`s a big decision.
But my thinking process points me right at this thing.

I`m mainly thinking about Herts, `cause it`s really attracting from what I`ve read. Greenwich would be nice, too, for it`s near London - and I love this city (but the costs would explode, there, I guess). Other than that, Plymouth and Oxford Brookes, possibly Surrey.

But right now, I`m at a point where I think - **** it, why shouldn`t I apply, I mean, it`s only some time and 22 pounds I´d have to invest to apply right now. If I find that I can`t afford it in the end, that would suck in a major way, but it`s all about keeping your options, isn`t it?

You said you`re a mature student: Could I ask what you`re doing right now/what you did?
Original post by Vorenus
Same here!
Right now, I can`t imagine how to shoulder the living costs. :s-smilie:

Hi Vorenus

have you got any straight answers about how an EU student would be funded especially on courses which usually attract NHS sponsorship ?

you'll have better luck finding out stuff here than on that other site.
Reply 83
Original post by zippyRN
Hi Vorenus

have you got any straight answers about how an EU student would be funded especially on courses which usually attract NHS sponsorship ?

you'll have better luck finding out stuff here than on that other site.

Well, the governmental site on this topic stated, that EU student would get the student loan for the tuition fees, but wouldn`t be eligible for the living grants/loans.
Reply 84
This year I'm applying for Coventry, SHU, Northampton, Staffs and Plymouth/Bournemouth (Undecided). Also applying to Swansea and Birmingham but not through ucas.
My experience is,
Graduated 2 year FdSc Rescue and Emergency Management degree
2 years Community first responding
5 years of St John Ambulance volunteering

Had all 5 interviews last application cycle and got onto 2 reserve lists but unfortunately didn't get on a course! :frown:

For those of you that had interviews but didn't succeed, what are you going to differently this time round?

Good luck Everyone!!!
Reply 85
Sending my application on Thursday. Woooooooo
Reply 86
Original post by Vorenus

You said you`re a mature student: Could I ask what you`re doing right now/what you did?

Haha I'm only just about mature, I'm working in retail at the moment.

F0rbesy- I had interviews last year but didn't get in, I've since joined the Red Cross as well as the Responders and I've started a Science Access course because I only have social sciences at A level. Hoping for better luck this year

Off to Portsmouth tomorrow to look around!
I'm just wondering if there are any noticeable difference between Paramedic Practice and Paramedic Science. They seem to be the same, or is it just the type of Qualifications you receive?
Reply 88
Original post by Rachael1993
I'm just wondering if there are any noticeable difference between Paramedic Practice and Paramedic Science. They seem to be the same, or is it just the type of Qualifications you receive?

Regardless of what course you take, whether it be Paramedic Science, Paramedic Practice, Paramedic Practitioner or Pre-Hospital Emergency Care - you come out as a registered HPC anyway! Personally I don't know the differences if there are any...
Reply 89
Original post by hhh123
Regardless of what course you take, whether it be Paramedic Science, Paramedic Practice, Paramedic Practitioner or Pre-Hospital Emergency Care - you come out as a registered HPC anyway! Personally I don't know the differences if there are any...

If you don't know what the difference is between a Paramedic and a Paramedic Practitioner then don't be embarrassed when they laugh at you in the interviews. :cool:
Reply 90
Original post by f0rbesy
If you don't know what the difference is between a Paramedic and a Paramedic Practitioner then don't be embarrassed when they laugh at you in the interviews. :cool:

I think you'll find that I do know what the differences between a Paramedic and Practitioner are. What I meant is that I don't know what the differences are between the courses. And for all I know is that I don't think that entirely matters.

Let's see who gets onto to course shall we? You, who seems to be some kind of big headed, control freak or ME?

If I were a patient, I wouldn't want a paramedic to treat me with a personality like you have!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 91
Hi everyone!
I applied last year, got three interviews, but unfortunately didn't get a place! I applied to Portsmouth, Plymouth, Brighton, UWE and Bournemouth, and got interviews at Brighton, UWE and Portsmouth.. so if anyone has any interview worries at those uni's I might be able to help (even though i didn't get a place!!)!
The feedback I got were along the lines of.. too young (18).. not enough life experience.. lots of competition!
Work experience wise.. I've done a tiny bit of work with Red cross, St John, along with work with children and the elderly.

My local hospital won't let me have work experience in A&E, but not sure which wards/areas would be useful to gain experience??!

Also I'm really stuck where to apply this year as I have 220 ucas points! Im retaking a module of biology in january to try and boost it to 240 points. Does anyone know which uni's are more leanient when it comes to grades??

Good luck everyone else applying this year!
Reply 92
Original post by megan2012
Hi everyone!
I applied last year, got three interviews, but unfortunately didn't get a place! I applied to Portsmouth, Plymouth, Brighton, UWE and Bournemouth, and got interviews at Brighton, UWE and Portsmouth.. so if anyone has any interview worries at those uni's I might be able to help (even though i didn't get a place!!)!
The feedback I got were along the lines of.. too young (18).. not enough life experience.. lots of competition!
Work experience wise.. I've done a tiny bit of work with Red cross, St John, along with work with children and the elderly.

My local hospital won't let me have work experience in A&E, but not sure which wards/areas would be useful to gain experience??!

Also I'm really stuck where to apply this year as I have 220 ucas points! Im retaking a module of biology in january to try and boost it to 240 points. Does anyone know which uni's are more leanient when it comes to grades??

Good luck everyone else applying this year!

Hi there,
What were your interviews like at Brighton and UWE? I've applied to both of those! I heard at the Brighton interview you have to write an essay? -_-

What A Levels did you do?
Good luck!
Reply 93
Original post by hhh123
I think you'll find that I do know what the differences between a Paramedic and Practitioner are. What I meant is that I don't know what the differences are between the courses. And for all I know is that I don't think that entirely matters.

Let's see who gets onto to course shall we? You, who seems to be some kind of big headed, control freak or ME?

If I were a patient, I wouldn't want a paramedic to treat me with a personality like you have!

Well if you know the difference then you should know that the course content not at all the same. Example Practitioner spend 3/4 of their practical time in MIU, A&E, Hospital wards etc... as Practitioner are able to prescribe medication and so need the experience. Generally these uni courses are over a 3 year period, such as the UoP course.
While Paramedics do not have the authority to prescribe patients medication without first taking them to see a GP.

Hope this helps you!
Original post by f0rbesy
Well if you know the difference then you should know that the course content not at all the same. Example Practitioner spend 3/4 of their practical time in MIU, A&E, Hospital wards etc... as Practitioner are able to prescribe medication and so need the experience. Generally these uni courses are over a 3 year period, such as the UoP course.
While Paramedics do not have the authority to prescribe patients medication without first taking them to see a GP.

Hope this helps you!

Incorrect.
Reply 95
Oh btw just thought I'd let you know some firends of mine on a few paramedic places were told that some uni's are doing automatic rejection once they reach 800 applicants. I know when I applied last year that SHU had over 1500 people apply for only 20 or so places.
I know for sure Coventry are doing it as spoke to them the other day and that Plymouth, SHU and SGU are considering it :/
Hurry and get your applications in!!!

Goood Luck everyone!
Reply 96
Original post by Happy_Holidays
Incorrect.

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/default.aspx?Id=414

Quite clearly states and quotes "prescribe a wider range of medications"

and

"Senior paramedics are typically based in GP surgeries, minor injuries units and hospital emergency departments. They may see patients in their own home"

practitioner are now what looks like being called Senior Paramedics which actually makes sense
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by f0rbesy
Oh btw just thought I'd let you know some firends of mine on a few paramedic places were told that some uni's are doing automatic rejection once they reach 800 applicants. I know when I applied last year that SHU had over 1500 people apply for only 20 or so places.
I know for sure Coventry are doing it as spoke to them the other day and that Plymouth, SHU and SGU are considering it :/
Hurry and get your applications in!!!

Goood Luck everyone!

They must give equal consideration to everyone who applies before 15th January.

If you are going to give out incorrect information to people who don't necessarily know the difference please don't give it out at all.
Reply 98
Original post by Happy_Holidays
They must give equal consideration to everyone who applies before 15th January.

If you are going to give out incorrect information to people who don't necessarily know the difference please don't give it out at all.

Did you not read the link? How is that incorrect information?
And I'm sorry was just posting what I heard from people on the course!
Reply 99
Original post by f0rbesy

Hope this helps you!

You are incorrect.
I have actually applied for the practitioner course at Plymouth and 3/4 of the placements are not in MIU/A+E etc.

In actual fact 750 hours are on the front line of the AMBULANCE service. There can't be that many more hours left!

To me, it doesn't sound like you know your facts. So before you try and overpower other individuals it might be a good idea to carry out some thorough research!

Oh....and by the way Plymouth definitely are not considering "rejecting applicants after 800 have applied"

Latest