The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by briggers90
Hi everyone, I'm starting my applications to study Paramedic Science/Practice soon - any advice?

I'm currently in my third year at Uni of Worcester studying Outdoor Adventure Leadership & Management BSc but am looking to start in 2012 to train as a Paramedic.

I'm applying to Swansea and Sheffield as (to my knowledge) they are the only funded courses and I can't afford to pay my own tuition fees and I wouldn't qualify for a Student Loan.

Does anyone have any tips for applying with these Universities in particular?

Thanks!
Holly

Hi there,
I went to the Swansea university open day. The only hints and tips were to ensure you have life experience, which could include ANY part time jobs. And also to get your application in early (although they do consider everyone until Jan 15th)
x
Original post by briggers90
Hi everyone, I'm starting my applications to study Paramedic Science/Practice soon - any advice?

I'm currently in my third year at Uni of Worcester studying Outdoor Adventure Leadership & Management BSc but am looking to start in 2012 to train as a Paramedic.

I'm applying to Swansea and Sheffield as (to my knowledge) they are the only funded courses and I can't afford to pay my own tuition fees and I wouldn't qualify for a Student Loan.

Does anyone have any tips for applying with these Universities in particular?

Thanks!
Holly

Swansea, Sheffield, UCLan, Edge Hill, LJMU and Northampton are currently all funded. Whether they still will be next year I'm not sure.
Reply 122
applied for BCU, only got 3 GCSE's, Maths C, English B and Science A*. Also have 2 AS Levels History D and Economics B. Am I likely to be accepted onto any paramedic course foundation or other ?
Original post by hendy1992
applied for BCU, only got 3 GCSE's, Maths C, English B and Science A*. Also have 2 AS Levels History D and Economics B. Am I likely to be accepted onto any paramedic course foundation or other ?

Possibly however many have put their grade boundaries up this year and almost every single one, if not everyone, asks for at least 5 GCSEs A*-C. Have you considered doing an Access course as it would give you the GCSE and UCAS points.
Reply 124
Original post by Happy_Holidays
Possibly however many have put their grade boundaries up this year and almost every single one, if not everyone, asks for at least 5 GCSEs A*-C. Have you considered doing an Access course as it would give you the GCSE and UCAS points.

I mean yeah I have considered doing an access course, however would prefer to go straight onto the course, only reason I have got 3 GCSE is because I was abit of a bad boy when I was around 14, however an A* in science must prove im capable surely ?
I mean yeah I have considered doing an access course, however would prefer to go straight onto the course, only reason I have got 3 GCSE is because I was abit of a bad boy when I was around 14, however an A* in science must prove im capable surely ?

You have to remember how competitive it is. I have been told by admissions tutors for paramedic courses that the first thing they do when they get applications is reject everyone who doesn't have the qualifications. Sadly an A* in GCSE Science proves nothing.

I got 11 GCSE's grade A*-C and A levels grades B, C and D including a science and yet if I hadn't gotten in this year I'd have been doing an Access course because I wouldn't have had the grades for most places.
Reply 126
You have to remember how competitive it is. I have been told by admissions tutors for paramedic courses that the first thing they do when they get applications is reject everyone who doesn't have the qualifications. Sadly an A* in GCSE Science proves nothing.

I got 11 GCSE's grade A*-C and A levels grades B, C and D including a science and yet if I hadn't gotten in this year I'd have been doing an Access course because I wouldn't have had the grades for most places.

See what your saying bud, I would do the access if I never got put on the para courses . As I want it badly so wouldnt mind the extra year.

Just really wanna help people don't any trusts do student paramedics ?
See what your saying bud, I would do the access if I never got put on the para courses . As I want it badly so wouldnt mind the extra year.

Just really wanna help people don't any trusts do student paramedics ?

Sometimes the best things come to those who wait. Don't get me wrong for £25 (or whatever UCAS is now) you may as well try but just don't get your hopes up.

And not currently no. Most who did have now stopped because they either saturated themselves with applicants or they realised that getting them from unis was far cheaper. Even people who have been working for trusts in lower level jobs have found that they can't get onto the paramedic courses because they don't have the qualifications.
Reply 128
Sometimes the best things come to those who wait. Don't get me wrong for £25 (or whatever UCAS is now) you may as well try but just don't get your hopes up.

And not currently no. Most who did have now stopped because they either saturated themselves with applicants or they realised that getting them from unis was far cheaper. Even people who have been working for trusts in lower level jobs have found that they can't get onto the paramedic courses because they don't have the qualifications.

not a good time to try become one then aha, I want it bad though, had a nde not long ago the paramedic saved my life and the only way i can think to repay her is to become one myself . . . want it so bad more than anything
Reply 129

You will need a science A level and probably between 180 and 300+ UCAS points.
You will also need 5 A*-C GCSEs.

You will most likely be rejected immediately.
Reply 130
Original post by fwed1
You will need a science A level and probably between 180 and 300+ UCAS points.
You will also need 5 A*-C GCSEs.

You will most likely be rejected immediately.

cheers for the heads up mate would you suggest going on an access course then ?
you on one of the courses ?
Reply 131
Just wondering whether Paramedic Practice/Science is a NHS funded course?

Cheers.
Reply 132
cheers for the heads up mate would you suggest going on an access course then ?
you on one of the courses ?

I'm afraid I went straight from A levels so have no experience of access courses, sorry.
Original post by robjaret
Just wondering whether Paramedic Practice/Science is a NHS funded course?

Cheers.

It depends on the uni. Some are and some aren't.
Reply 134
does anyone know what the best access course to get on a paramedic course is and si there any starting in january anywhere ?
does anyone know what the best access course to get on a paramedic course is and si there any starting in january anywhere ?

Probably access to nursing or access to paramedicine (if you can find one).
I don't think there's any that start in January, they usually start in September.
Reply 136
I had a look at some access courses in Science. I found some which started in Nov, Feb or March. So it's worth a look! Look on the Open University site.
Reply 137
Surrey have changed their standard offer from AAB-ABB to AAB only.

EDIT whats the neg for?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 138
I am looking at the paramedic science at the ou and funding it myself, however half the learning is meant to be based with an ambulance service who are usually your employer prior to starting the course, would it be possible to fund the course myself and then voluntary train with an ambulance service ? any help would be appreciated
Reply 139
I am looking at the paramedic science at the ou and funding it myself, however half the learning is meant to be based with an ambulance service who are usually your employer prior to starting the course, would it be possible to fund the course myself and then voluntary train with an ambulance service ? any help would be appreciated

No, that's not how it works. You'd actually have to be accepted onto a university course before you can do any training with the ambulance services.

Latest