The Student Room Group

Liverpool Medicine MBChB A100 Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Hey is anyone familiar with the scholarships liverpool offers to international students?? For eg the coverage, how hard is it to get.also roughly how much would a student spend there including accomodation + food + cbasic neccessities?
Reply 2921
Original post by saxophoniste
It's the 31st and I'm STILL waiting for Liverpool and Leicester. Could they drag it out any longer?! :rolleyes:

They better be working weekends !!
I got a conditional offer yesterday! I am an international applicant by the way (:
Still nothing, please tell me I'm not the only one?
Reply 2924
Original post by rosesandwombats
I got a conditional offer yesterday! I am an international applicant by the way (:

Where you from? :smile: Well Done!
Original post by Kaylain
28th. When did you get yours?

oh aha okay
i don't really know.. my ucas updated but i accidentally used the wrong password (sounds retarded i'm aware) so now my account has been suspended for 24 hours lol
but i was trying to find out if the office would send emails on the weekend so i could still find out if i got in or not
Reply 2926
Original post by .eXe
Good luck all, I sincerely hope none of you are disappointed today (especially Rahmeh)

All the best!

This made me smile :smile:

Have you firmed a uni yet??
Well, looks like I need to call admissions, seeing as I've not heard yet :rolleyes:
Original post by AlannaGrant
Has anyone who hasn't heard from liverpool rang up today to see if they are going to give out any more offers?

I'm going to call tomorrow, but I think the admissions office will be closed, so I'll ring again on monday
Yehh I'm going to do the same thing, if they are going to reject me I just want to get it over with so I can start planning what to do next! Hate the wait

Same! The way theyve done it is so odd, like by last weekend I'd pretty much accepted I'd been rejected (not that I want to be but the wait was awful), but then a few people got offers yesterday so it's given me hope :/
Original post by mihika94
Where you from? :smile: Well Done!

Thank you!! I'm from Singapore.
OMG CONDITIONAL OFFER AHHHH LIFE IS AMAZING RIGHT NOW
and good luck to all those that haven't heard i'm sure you're all going to get in :smile:
Just in case anyone's in the same situation as me (still havent heard), I called up and admissions office is closed to calls until 8.30 on monday so there's no point calling until then. :smile:
Reply 2933
Original post by saxophoniste
Just in case anyone's in the same situation as me (still havent heard), I called up and admissions office is closed to calls until 8.30 on monday so there's no point calling until then. :smile:

Cheers :smile:
Original post by tia.may
Well done to all the people with offers :biggrin: Sooo proud of you, cannot wait to be your second year mentor next year(if i pass my exams that is!) And for those still waiting, hang on in there and good luck!! And for any of you newbies(LOL, it feels like yesterday when it was Freshers week!) who have any questions, feel free to ask! Much love guys xx

Hey, thanks for offering help, I'm still a bit confused about the whole pbl process. I've had a look at some of the modules online, for example: health and hygiene. Do you get given any notes on these objectives, or is it just that you have to search for the information yourself completely?
Also, because there aren't as many lectures, do you have a specific syllabus of all the stuff to cover for your exams, and do you get any notes that are specific to that?

Sorry for the essay, I'm thinking about going to Liverpool next year and this has been bugging me for some time, I just don't want to get caught behind, and I'd want to be in a position in which i know exactly what to do to prepare for exams, because I don't understand what happens if you can't find all of the learning objectives, and how you are supposed to prepare for exams
Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile: thanks! And again sorry for so many questions :redface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Firmed liverpool today (unconditional) can't wait, roll on september!
Reply 2936
Have a question about PBL for any current students:

How do you know what to study for exams? For PBL, it's my understanding that a general topic is given and then you as the student are expected to do all your thorough research about that topic and gain all the knowledge you can, and you discuss it in groups to further get a comprehensive perspective on that topic.

However, exams aren't in groups....they're individual. So how exactly do students (who have been doing much of everything in their PBL groups so far)...know exactly what to study for the exam and prepare for the exam? is it just by doing your own research and learning what you think "might" be important? Or is there some (or any) level of structure provided so that all students learn together?

Thanks!
Reply 2937
Original post by ribena-93
Hey, thanks for offering help, I'm still a bit confused about the whole pbl process. I've had a look at some of the modules online, for example: health and hygiene. Do you get given any notes on these objectives, or is it just that you have to search for the information yourself completely?
Also, because there aren't as many lectures, do you have a specific syllabus of all the stuff to cover for your exams, and do you get any notes that are specific to that?

Sorry for the essay, I'm thinking about going to Liverpool next year and this has been bugging me for some time, I just don't want to get caught behind, and I'd want to be in a position in which i know exactly what to do to prepare for exams, because I don't understand what happens if you can't find all of the learning objectives, and how you are supposed to prepare for exams
Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile: thanks! And again sorry for so many questions :redface:

Heyy,

Okay basically yes, you make up your own learning objectives, in your group, which your facilitator(depends who you have) aids you with and you go off and learn about them. Then you have two PBL sessions after that where you get to discuss the LO's and here is where you figure out whether you've got into enough depth or not. It sounds a bit all over the place but you will soon realize that each module has a system to learn. So for example 'Health and hygiene' is basically lower GI, with some other LO's as well. We also have to look at other topics as well which involves stats, psychology, ethics ect... But honestly you get the grasp of it. Then it gets more diffcult when you come to cardiology and neurology. And dw you will soon know of the appropriate text books suggested by older medics and the medical school also recommend texts. And we also have a formative exam in January, which is a mock that counts for nothing! This gives you a good idea of how questions will be asked and what kind of depth they want you to go into.

I hope that helps, PBL is a whole new world but i actually love it now tbh :biggrin: At first i was like, how am i suppose to know what to learn?? But you soon pick it up :biggrin: and make use of your mentors!!!! Good luck xx
Anyone who hasn't had a decision back from liverpool yet, I rang up admissions and they said that they are having a few problems with the computer system and there should have been some decisions sent out on friday, they said to keep checking track today and tomorrow...I don't think this is a good sign :frown:

They didn't tell me that :frown: I feel like giving up now :/
Reply 2939
Ahahaha the computer systems down ! Just my luck, sorry guys !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending